Groups

Looking to buy a new desktop PC

Hello all. Im just wondering if anyone could offer some advice. I'm looking to buy a new desktop PC but i'm not sure what to go for. The uses for it will be quite basic to be honest, mainly general everyday tasks such as emailing, internet browsing, word processing, watching YouTube / iPlayer etc, and also occassional photo editing. The PC will be brought for my family so will be used daily for the above tasks.

Im looking to replace an old Dell PC which lasted the family for a number of years and was used heavily on a daily basis but is now sadly on its last legs.

The model i am currently looking is; store.hp.com/UKS…ABU

support.hp.com/gb-…318. Priced at £499.

Is anyone able to give any feedback as to whether this will likely be sutiable. I appreciate my needs are rather basic but i guess the main thing im hoping for is something that will work quickly and not be slow.

Obviously not looking to spend over the odds and pay for loads of things that i wont need

Any help appreciated. Thanks

23 Comments

The link is dodgy just brings up laptops

Hi
    Also I would recommend this currys.co.uk/gbu…tml
    It is a family orientated 23.8inch touchscreen my friend and his family have one and they love it the screen is great the mouse is awful but I cheap one will do the keyboard is nice
    I think 650 is a great sweet spot of a price with 250 quid off what a deal probably should post that
    Spec wise also looks decent
    Yours sincerely puddle9999

Original Poster

Hi puddles.
    Thank you for your reply. Sorry, I've changed the link, so i hope it works now.
    Many thanks for your suggestion. Just the sort of thing i was hoping for.

I could send you some links if you tell me what budget you have, at least an aproximate budget. A lot of people have a lot of different opinions about daily tasks and photo editing and they would recommend different computers. I built a pc for a friend who uses it for photo editing and office apps, around 700 pounds only the tower, he bought the monitor alone.

You want a basic pc for general day to day browsing but are looking at touchscreens for £900+?? Am I missing something here!!

Original Poster

Hi pctech891

The link in the first post (which i cant seem to get to work) was for a desktop tower for £500 but i'd be quite happy to spend up to £700-£800 for something if i thought it would last us for a few years and not be outdate in the near future. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

so not really looking for all in one touchscreen pc, good cause I usually don't recommend those unless you really want one. I asume you need a new monitor as well, 24 or 27?

Original Poster

pctech891

so not really looking for all in one touchscreen pc, good cause I usually … so not really looking for all in one touchscreen pc, good cause I usually don't recommend those unless you really want one. I asume you need a new monitor as well, 24 or 27?

Well im open minded re all in one PCs but my concern is if something needs replacing then how easy is it etc.
    Yes, will be buying a new monitor too. 24 would be fine for our needs.
    Thanks

at first glance, I would recommend this one and I would add an 256gb SSD (which is most needed these days). Problem is I'm not sure if you can open it, as you buy it prebuilt and you may lose the warranty.
    I'm trying to load overlockers webpage but it's really slow for some reasons, currys it's not the best place to buy computers, I just went through most of them and don't really like anything except for the one above.

Don't take this the wrong way but you'd need your head tested if you paid £600 for a i3 with a 400w psu and no graphics card I'll post a site that you can build your own at a reasonable price in a minute

Gottograbthemall

Don't take this the wrong way but you'd need your head tested if you paid … Don't take this the wrong way but you'd need your head tested if you paid £600 for a i3 with a 400w psu and no graphics card I'll post a site that you can build your own at a reasonable price in a minute

Yeah well, I did not look for something to build alone as I'm not sure anyone can do it properly or want to cope with all the problems that can appear in time. As you buy it prebuilt, it comes with warranty as a whole and it's better for most of the people.
    I could build for those money a better pc, with parts a lot cheaper from different stores but not everyone wants to do that, that's the thing.

Those parts are around £500 anyway if you want to buy them from Scan for example, what I would take out is the windows 10 license which will reduce the price by £100
    Edited by: "pctech891" 7th May

uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…hr7

That's just a quick build the processors just as good as a i3 but anyhow I doubt you want to build one just a starting point to see want the true cost is

You can build your own here yoyotech.co.uk/bui…tx/ for about a extra £100 and you can pick your own parts and they will build it and deliver it includes 3 yr warranty and vat. More than reasonable if you don't want to build your own or can't and still have a choice in the parts that goes into it. Quick example of one I built

Case-\x09Fractal Design Core 1100 Black - FD-CA-CORE-1100-BL-OEM
    Powersupply:\x09500W EVGA 80PLUS Power Supply - 100-W1-500-KR
    Motherboard:\x09Asus H110M-R LGA1151 Micro ATX Motherboard - H110M-R
    Processor:\x09Intel Core i5 7500 Kabylake Quad Core - BX80677I57500
    Memory:\x098GB DDR4 2133MHz
    Solid State Drive:\x09240GB Solid State Drive
    Hard Disk Drive:\x091TB 7200rpm Hard Disk Drive
    Optical Drive:\x09DvD-Rewriter Drive
    Operating System:\x09Windows 10 Home 64 bit OEM - KW9-00139
    Monitor:\x09iiyama 24" IPS 1080p Monitor - X2481HS
    Keyboard & Mouse Set:\x09Aula Broken Soul gaming Keyboard and Mouse - AULAKBMS859COMBO2BLACK
    Build Time:\x09STANDARD BUILD - 10 Working days, Upgrades and Changes can effect delivery time, Includes 24 Hour Test Period
    Warranty:\x093 Year Silver Cover.First 30 days - FREE Collect and Return on fault\x09-\x091st Year Covers full Parts and Labour Return to Base\x09-\x092nd and 3rd Year Labour Only Return to Base

£733
    Edited by: "Gottograbthemall" 7th May

I wouldn't spend more than £200 on a pc for what you want to do with it.

Gottograbthemall

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/N9Qhr7That's just a quick build the … https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/N9Qhr7That's just a quick build the processors just as good as a i3 but anyhow I doubt you want to build one just a starting point to see want the true cost is You can build your own here http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/build-your-own-b150-m-atx/ for about a extra £100 and you can pick your own parts and they will build it and deliver it includes 3 yr warranty and vat. More than reasonable if you don't want to build your own or can't and still have a choice in the parts that goes into it. Quick example of one I built Case-\x09Fractal Design Core 1100 Black - FD-CA-CORE-1100-BL-OEMPowersupply:\x09500W EVGA 80PLUS Power Supply - 100-W1-500-KRMotherboard:\x09Asus H110M-R LGA1151 Micro ATX Motherboard - H110M-RProcessor:\x09Intel Core i5 7500 Kabylake Quad Core - BX80677I57500Memory:\x098GB DDR4 2133MHzSolid State Drive:\x09240GB Solid State DriveHard Disk Drive:\x091TB 7200rpm Hard Disk DriveOptical Drive:\x09DvD-Rewriter DriveOperating System:\x09Windows 10 Home 64 bit OEM - KW9-00139Monitor:\x09iiyama 24" IPS 1080p Monitor - X2481HSKeyboard & Mouse Set:\x09Aula Broken Soul gaming Keyboard and Mouse - AULAKBMS859COMBO2BLACKBuild Time:\x09STANDARD BUILD - 10 Working days, Upgrades and Changes can effect delivery time, Includes 24 Hour Test PeriodWarranty:\x093 Year Silver Cover.First 30 days - FREE Collect and Return on fault\x09-\x091st Year Covers full Parts and Labour Return to Base\x09-\x092nd and 3rd Year Labour Only Return to Base£733

So basically you went for the same configuration but a slightly better CPU, 100w more psu (which you dont need) and cheaper parts everywhere else. Well... for 70 pounds more I would choose the samsung monitor and the samsung SSD (quite frankly the best in class). It's true you could save a couple of quids here and there by buying other brands and from other stores but I'm thinking customer support, parts quality, built quality, warranty etc...

paulday564

I wouldn't spend more than £200 on a pc for what you want to do with it.

Yes probably, and I built cheaper pc's and more expensive pc's, when someone is giving me a budget, I'm working around that budget. Problem with cheaper pc is that you kinda have to buy another one every couple of years (most of the time as soon as you finish the warranty period of 2 years.

Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. All the input is much appreciated.

sgw

Thanks for all the replies. All the input is much appreciated.

I'd just come back tomorrow bud opinions are like assholes on here everyone's got one

pctech891

So basically you went for the same configuration but a slightly better … So basically you went for the same configuration but a slightly better CPU, 100w more psu (which you dont need) and cheaper parts everywhere else. Well... for 70 pounds more I would choose the samsung monitor and the samsung SSD (quite frankly the best in class). It's true you could save a couple of quids here and there by buying other brands and from other stores but I'm thinking customer support, parts quality, built quality, warranty etc...

I'm not here to get people's backs up or geek out on pc nerd facts I'm merely stating that spending over £600 on a pc with a i3 is not value in any sense of the word. You can buy the g4560 kaby lake ht for £50 which basically makes the i3 buy a waste of money being twice the price and the same performance. I'm merely saying if I was spending that sort of dosh I'd want way better. Personally he could just build his own for £300 with the g4560 and wd blue no need for a sdd mine boots in 10-15 seconds and runs smooth as butter. He could even buy windows 7/8 for pennies and update to 10 for free making it under £300 for 7th gen parts I'd say that's value for money.

He could just buy used for cheap and be happy for what it needs it for. Just giving the guy options if he wants a new one and tossing that kind of dosh around

The uses for it will be quite basic to be honest, mainly general everyday … The uses for it will be quite basic to be honest, mainly general everyday tasks such as emailing, internet browsing, word processing, watching YouTube / iPlayer etc, and also occassional photo editing. The PC will be brought for my family so will be used daily for the above tasks.]

You don't need to spend a lot on your needs. For less than £200 you can get something like this (make £110 offer) add 4GB RAM and 120-250GB SSD.

Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 8th May

Original Poster

RiverDragon8

You don't need to spend a lot on your needs. For less than £200 you can … You don't need to spend a lot on your needs. For less than £200 you can get something like this (make £110 offer) add 4GB RAM and 120-250GB SSD.

Thanks. very helpful
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. which drill bit set for bosch cordless drill ixo range? hex?11
      2. GP Vaccinations: telling patient they are out of stock and go private44
      3. Has your £2.50 Topcashback been paid from the last offer?22
      4. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!2027

See more discussions