Groups

looking to change my isp

im tired now of my isp. i want to change to someone that offers unlimited downloads and NO throttling.

At the moment i pay 12.99 for up to 8mb unlimited (yeah right)
    I get throttled to 512kb between 6pm to 11pm...which is usually when i try play my ps3 online....and fail. And i received a letter warning me a couple months back when i downloaded 97gb in a month. pathetic or what.
    There is no LLU on my exchange so im not going to get too cheap a deal i expect.

What can you recommend?

41 Comments

I have o2 and never had a problem with them definatly recommended

go on o2 i was on orange till lastweek best thing i done
    i was getting 1.5meg off orange crap i no but o2 g/tee me 7meg free

whose your isp and which broadband providers can you get as virgins lowest broadband is 10mb now but depedns if you have cable on your street

Banned

onlyme23;5033432

I have o2 and never had a problem with them definatly recommended

sme24185;5033462

go on o2 i was on orange till lastweek best thing i done

He's already said his exchange has no LLU - so 02 woudn't be a good option.

Original Poster

As i stated in my op there are NO LLU's at my exchange. its BT only. cable is not an option.

Original Poster

mrspatch;5033507

I've been with eclipse for a couple of years or so. They have always … I've been with eclipse for a couple of years or so. They have always done well in the broadband comparison sites:http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?id=home_why_switchList of awards:http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?id=eclipse_awards

50gb useage allowance is no good for me.

shanecr;5033636

As i stated in my op there are NO LLU's at my exchange. its BT only. … As i stated in my op there are NO LLU's at my exchange. its BT only. cable is not an option.

Same for me :cry: which is why I went for eclipse. To make matters worse, I live in a village about 3 miles from the exchange!!!!!!!!!!!!

Original Poster

mrspatch;5033684

Same for me :cry: which is why I went for eclipse. To make matters … Same for me :cry: which is why I went for eclipse. To make matters worse, I live in a village about 3 miles from the exchange!!!!!!!!!!!!

i like in a small village too but i am very close to my exchange lol. im considering BT as for £24 its 8mb and appears to be true unlimited with no fair useage. but unsure if they throttle.

shanecr;5033673

50gb useage allowance is no good for me.

I must be on an old package £15Pm with no limit/

You could try the home office one with a 3gb allowance?
    eclipse.net.uk/ind…and

I have fair usage - but have no problems

Original Poster

garbage456;5033749

i would recommend o2 or virgin but steer clear of Orange

virgin throttle

BT have never throttled me and I've been a heavy user.

Original Poster

Liddle ol' me;5033785

BT have never throttled me and I've been a heavy user.

i was hoping to hear that just gotta convince my gf that its worth double the price we pay now, of course after a year we should be able to knock that price down.

You could opt for one the Entanet providers.
    30GB peak d/l
    unlimited off peak 12am -8am
    unlimited at weekends
    upto 24MB d/l/ 1.4MB u/l
    1 month rolling contract.

£18.90 pm

EDIT: no p2p throttling if that's your thang. And bloody great customer care on a whole.

BT throttle, I get throttled on almost everything between 1800 - 2359 daily, P2P is unuseable >10Kbps, newsgroups have just started getting throttled also although they only go to about 100Kbps.

Banned

Paddy_o_furniture;5033874

BT throttle, I get throttled on almost everything between 1800 - 2359 … BT throttle, I get throttled on almost everything between 1800 - 2359 daily, P2P is unuseable >10Kbps, newsgroups have just started getting throttled also although they only go to about 100Kbps.

Agreed. (Though it would be futile arguing the point!)

I've had a few weekend sessions recently, with 150 to 200GB in a queue - and paying £12pm for the priviledge with BeThere on a 16.5Mb connection with no throttleing. I know you get it free Kris (I think) but doesn't it make you consider changing?

Mind you, it costs a fortune in new Hard Drives! :w00t:

shanecr;5033716

i like in a small village too but i am very close to my exchange lol. im … i like in a small village too but i am very close to my exchange lol. im considering BT as for £24 its 8mb and appears to be true unlimited with no fair useage. but unsure if they throttle.

BT used to limit it to 40GB on their top package but I can't see any mention of that any more. However, they do admit to video steam and P2P ]throttling.

You could have a look at post office broadband. I'm with them now and while I've never got close to your 97GB/month I have hit 60GB and not heard anything from them, or noticed any throttling.

Of course, if your prepared to pay then you should be able to get a guaranteed unlimited connection, expect it to cost you at least £50 a month though.

@guv: remember that O2/Be* are only availible at around 20% of exchanges, most of us can't get them.

leefal;5033863

You could opt for one the Entanet providers.30GB peak d/lunlimited off … You could opt for one the Entanet providers.30GB peak d/lunlimited off peak 12am -8amunlimited at weekendsupto 24MB d/l/ 1.4MB u/l1 month rolling contract.£18.90 pm

I'm also with an Entanet reseller. Excellent service:thumbsup:

Original Poster

yipykayay;5034103

I'm also with an Entanet reseller. Excellent service:thumbsup:

who exactly?

Banned

EndlessWaves;5034052

@guv: remember that O2/Be* are only availible at around 20% of exchanges, … @guv: remember that O2/Be* are only availible at around 20% of exchanges, most of us can't get them.

I know.... I said the same in post 6!

Question was for Paddy - not OP.:thumbsup:

shanecr;5033716

i like in a small village too but i am very close to my exchange lol. im … i like in a small village too but i am very close to my exchange lol. im considering BT as for £24 its 8mb and appears to be true unlimited with no fair useage. but unsure if they throttle.

The fact that you live in a small village could mean that you'll be less likely to be throttled due to the small population connected to your exchange. I could be wrong though..

ps - I can vouch for adsl24.co.uk
    also check samknows to see if your exchange has had an adsl2+ (21CN) upgrade, could get upto 24meg.

samknows.com/bro…php

Original Poster

leefal;5034363

The fact that you live in a small village could mean that you'll be less … The fact that you live in a small village could mean that you'll be less likely to be throttled due to the small population connected to your exchange. I could be wrong though..ps - I can vouch for adsl24.co.uk also check samknows to see if your exchange has had an adsl2+ (21CN) upgrade, could get [i]upto[/] 24meg.

no chance of adsl2+ for me until probably 2012 if at all.

samknows says this > 19/10/2006 BT have set a target date of Q3 2011 for the switch to 21CN for the St Boswells exchange

guv;5034015

Agreed. (Though it would be futile arguing the point!)I've had a few … Agreed. (Though it would be futile arguing the point!)I've had a few weekend sessions recently, with 150 to 200GB in a queue - and paying £12pm for the priviledge with BeThere on a 16.5Mb connection with no throttleing. I know you get it free Kris (I think) but doesn't it make you consider changing?Mind you, it costs a fortune in new Hard Drives! :w00t:

I've considered changing several times, just waiting for them to roll out the adsl2+ stuff (BT world leaders in telecoms my @rse), I can gift my free broadband to someone. If I was to change it would be to Be/o2 or possibly sky. o2/be seem to have the lowest amount of faults reported, whether thats down to subsciber base I don't know.

shanecr;5034263

who exactly?

The one I'm with is ]Naims.co.uk but they all offer virtually the same packages.
    Been with them for 2 years with no problems

Original Poster

yipykayay;5034855

The one I'm with is ]Naims.co.uk but they all offer virtually the same … The one I'm with is ]Naims.co.uk but they all offer virtually the same packages.Been with them for 2 years with no problems

ive noticed they are all the same. and i use a laptop and im not leaving it on overnight for downloads so they not really the best for me.

Mine's pretty expensive, but it's worth it for me.
    I'm on 16Mb from ]UKOnline at £25/month.

No problems, and no throttling.

Original Poster

MrBrightside1987;5036379

Mine's pretty expensive, but it's worth it for me.I'm on 16Mb from … Mine's pretty expensive, but it's worth it for me.I'm on 16Mb from ]UKOnline at £25/month.No problems, and no throttling.

hmm, cost in the router makes it almost £30 a month. i'll consider it though.

I just checked and see what you mean about the router.
    I've been with them for a year, and at that time the router was just optional. You could try ringing and telling them you already have one I suppose

o2 have no fair ussage crap and u get cashback probably already stated but havent read thru lol...im on 20mb too and get decent speeds

tazandsaz;5036934

o2 have no fair ussage crap and u get cashback probably already stated … o2 have no fair ussage crap and u get cashback probably already stated but havent read thru lol...im on 20mb too and get decent speeds

No LLU on his exchange so (s)he is stuck with BT wholesale relsellers

Original Poster

o2 are no use to me. No LLU, it does seem Virgin offer a service for £15 a month, and although they throttle, its not as bad as what orange do, and it seems fair.

Depending on your location, I would be wary of Virgin's ADSL service.
    When I moved up North to Lancaster, I decided to go with them for their 8MB, 1 month contract broadband.

It was good for 2-3 months, but the next 8 months after that it was continuously abysmal service. Between 4pm and 1am my browsing speed was slower than dial-up - no exaggeration, I tried running speed tests on it.
    This was a daily occurrence, and even that would be interrupted by regular down time.

I decided to switch from them to UKOnline in month 11 of their service, despite it being a 1 month contract, they still charged a £50 cancellation fee.

Surprisingly, I have heard good things about them too, so the best thing would be to see if anyone else around where you live has them and what they think.

Original Poster

well i have my mac code....im swaying to virgin, most people i know in my village are on Bt so im hoping im in a minority with virgin. i price it at £15 a month, with no one else really offering proper unlimited with no throttle. except possibly BT. but the OH i think would prefer virgins price. and if anything, it couldnt be worse than orange lol.

ahh that sux op (with no LLU that is).
    In that case, I would NOT recommend o2 with their Access package - it is unreliable and can have volatile speed changes.

Original Poster

dcx_badass;5039842

Virgin do throttle though.

yes i know. but i expect not as badly as orange do. who would you recommend?

Artonox;5039977

ahh that sux op (with no LLU that is).In that case, I would NOT recommend … ahh that sux op (with no LLU that is).In that case, I would NOT recommend o2 with their Access package - it is unreliable and can have volatile speed changes.

Thanks. i shall avoid o2 for now

Not read all the posts although i get the same "throttling" im with BT i have not been able to access online on my PS3 for around 6 months now as im out all day get home and cant get on, fine on 360 although also go down to just a few kbs download speed at around 5 - 12 when i get home

Original Poster

ALEXSHEFF92;5040057

Not read all the posts although i get the same "throttling" im with BT i … Not read all the posts although i get the same "throttling" im with BT i have not been able to access online on my PS3 for around 6 months now as im out all day get home and cant get on, fine on 360 although also go down to just a few kbs download speed at around 5 - 12 when i get home

i expect there probably isnt a provider that doesn't throttle.

shanecr;5040096

i expect there probably isnt a provider that doesn't throttle.

You could get BT vision by opting for BT, it's a useful add-on to your ADSL service. Not sure what they charge for it now though, used to be free.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tv choice magazine Issue 3955
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick22
      3. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains66
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020

See more discussions