Looking to get an extractor fan in the bathroom, any recommendations?

Posted 4th Oct 2021
Currently the bathroom just has an air vent so mould is growing, not sure what extractor fan to get.

Not had one in the past so not too sure.

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
23 Comments
  1. Avatar
    One which can shift a decent amount of air and has a timer.
  2. Avatar
    You haven't mentioned the dimensions of the bathroom, nor if it already has a window.

There are two types: set by timer, and set by humidity (some have both timer and a humidity sensor and I am led to believe these are better).

Please note, they are noisy, even the "quiet" ones are noisy, so be prepared.
  3. Avatar
    You may even benefit form one that has not just a timer but a humidity sensor to keep going a while longer, as needed. For a timer or humidity sensor, you will needed a permanent live. If that makes no sense to you, please consider using an electrician. bathroom fans within something like 2m of a shower/bath are covered by Part P and should be professionally installed. Fan form screwfix/toolstation/amazon. Sparky should cost £50 cash, maybe £75 on an invoice so long as its installed and waiting to be connected up when (s)he arrives.
  4. Avatar
    MadeDixonsCry04/10/2021 14:42

You haven't mentioned the dimensions of the bathroom, nor if it already …You haven't mentioned the dimensions of the bathroom, nor if it already has a window.There are two types: set by timer, and set by humidity (some have both timer and a humidity sensor and I am led to believe these are better).Please note, they are noisy, even the "quiet" ones are noisy, so be prepared.

Noise can be managed somewhat by regular cleaning of fan blades. Wet plastic gathers crud and unbalances the blade as well as making it heavier to rotate, hence additional noise.
  5. Avatar
    Author
    HappyShopper04/10/2021 14:33

Do you recommend any, we have a 15% Wickes discount from there for today but doesn't need to be from there.

Sorry for being a pain, just don't want to get something that will die out quickly as experienced that quite a bit lately.
  6. Avatar
    tlc-direct.co.uk/ have great prices and also have stores for local collection.
  7. Avatar
    BobbyBoy2104/10/2021 14:37

Do you recommend any, we have a 15% Wickes discount from there for today …Do you recommend any, we have a 15% Wickes discount from there for today but doesn't need to be from there.Sorry for being a pain, just don't want to get something that will die out quickly as experienced that quite a bit lately.

Well I had an Airflow icon that did not kick the bucket until 10 years (the timer module still works though, I just had to replace the main unit).

I would say you need to mention the details I stated in my first message in order for us to give any recommendation.
  8. Avatar
    You also have ones which are connected to the lights so basically on off, no timer or humidity.

I installed the following, Envirovent SIL100S"Silent" Extractor Fan for Bathroom/En-Suites (NO Timer)
    , it's surprisingly quiet compared to others and does a cracking job.

Only issue is its an on/off one (you can get a live feed one as well) so need to the light on after a shower for a bit so that extracts any moisture
  9. Avatar
    Ask the electrician that’s going to fit it and make sure he has got the correct size cure cutter.
  10. Avatar
    BobbyBoy2104/10/2021 14:37

Do you recommend any, we have a 15% Wickes discount from there for today …Do you recommend any, we have a 15% Wickes discount from there for today but doesn't need to be from there.Sorry for being a pain, just don't want to get something that will die out quickly as experienced that quite a bit lately.

I can't recommend one in particular but, as others have suggested, I would speak to an electrician.

They tend to have particular products or manufacturers they like installing so ask one for a recommendation and ask why he is recommending it.

Also, YouTube is a great resource for DIY matters where you can learn a lot - I've linked, IMHO, one of the better channels who covers DIY in an easy to understand manner.

11. Avatar
    We've had Icon Airflows in the last few houses, they look neater IMO when not in use as they close up so you can't see the 'hole'
  12. Avatar
    Unsure if this is useful, you may wish to consider one that goes through the loft instead,
  13. Avatar
    HappyShopper04/10/2021 14:33

Wouldn't bother with the timer, just one more thing to wrong.

They're usually loud enough to hear from outside the bathroom anyway so unlikely you'd forget it's switched on.
  14. Avatar
    Your wall will need core drilling.
    Around £150 including the fan from an electrician.

Possibly more depending on location etc
  15. Avatar
    We had an extractor fan that vented through the loft from our en-suite, until a friendly critter bit through the ducting a couple of times and without our knowledge we were venting warm damp air into the loft which didn’t mix well.

We then went for a wall vent which vented straight outside and although it was a decent make and model it just didn’t shift the damp air quick enough. Also the flaps on the exterior part vent were so loud during windy weather and used to wake us up.

In the end, whilst renovating the en-suite we ended up paying for an independent window company to knock a hole in the wall and put a window in. Best decision we ever made, it’s gone from pokey, damp and dark to being light and airy with not a spec of mould.

Apologies for not answering your original question but wanted to share my experience which started similar to yours!
  16. Avatar
    DTT_R3004/10/2021 15:42

We've had Icon Airflows in the last few houses, they look neater IMO when …We've had Icon Airflows in the last few houses, they look neater IMO when not in use as they close up so you can't see the 'hole'

Second that, I have an Icon airflow, the flaps on my External louvre have blown off in high winds but the iris on the Icon keeps the draft and noise down.

It's centrifugal not axial so pushes a fair bit of air out albeit probably not as much as the ducted centrifugal ones but less hassle to install. You buy the timer and/or humidistat seperately but its housed inside the fan.
  17. Avatar
    Author
    ytfc_nick04/10/2021 19:13

We had an extractor fan that vented through the loft from our en-suite, …We had an extractor fan that vented through the loft from our en-suite, until a friendly critter bit through the ducting a couple of times and without our knowledge we were venting warm damp air into the loft which didn’t mix well.We then went for a wall vent which vented straight outside and although it was a decent make and model it just didn’t shift the damp air quick enough. Also the flaps on the exterior part vent were so loud during windy weather and used to wake us up. In the end, whilst renovating the en-suite we ended up paying for an independent window company to knock a hole in the wall and put a window in. Best decision we ever made, it’s gone from pokey, damp and dark to being light and airy with not a spec of mould.Apologies for not answering your original question but wanted to share my experience which started similar to yours!

We already have a window and don't mind opening it even during cold or rain but that doesn't do the trick in terms of the bath getting moulded.

We even have just a vent installed but it's not working either.

Out of curiosity, do you know have a extractor fan installed?
  18. Avatar
    Author
    PennyTrader04/10/2021 18:54

Your wall will need core drilling.Around £150 including the fan from an …Your wall will need core drilling.Around £150 including the fan from an electrician.Possibly more depending on location etc

There's already a hole in the wall which has a vent fitted at the moment, having seen a few extractor fans, part of the hole might need covering up though.
  19. Avatar
    Make sure you go for the biggest diameter you can, we have a 100mm in the downstairs bathroom which struggles but went for a 120mm in the upstairs bathroom and although that is better when it needs replacing I might go even larger.
  20. Avatar
    BobbyBoy2104/10/2021 20:20

We already have a window and don't mind opening it even during cold or …We already have a window and don't mind opening it even during cold or rain but that doesn't do the trick in terms of the bath getting moulded.We even have just a vent installed but it's not working either.Out of curiosity, do you know have a extractor fan installed?

No, we got rid of the extractor fan and just use the window, however being quite a small en-suite with a shower sink and toilet it tends to clear pretty quickly with the window open and if we go to work soon after we just leave the open slightly open but locked (if that makes sense).
  21. Avatar
    Author
    ytfc_nick04/10/2021 20:40

No, we got rid of the extractor fan and just use the window, however being …No, we got rid of the extractor fan and just use the window, however being quite a small en-suite with a shower sink and toilet it tends to clear pretty quickly with the window open and if we go to work soon after we just leave the open slightly open but locked (if that makes sense).

Ours doesn't cut it tbh, we keep it closed at night and it's open otherwise. I guess your lucky.
  22. Avatar
    BobbyBoy2104/10/2021 20:21

There's already a hole in the wall which has a vent fitted at the moment, …There's already a hole in the wall which has a vent fitted at the moment, having seen a few extractor fans, part of the hole might need covering up though.

Should be an easier job then if that’s the case but it’ll need filling around the duct.

Tradespeople are like gold dust though at the moment and booked up for months.

So getting it done quickly and on the cheap may be a problem. They are are likely to quote you over £100 with a take it or leave it attitude even though it’s a quick job.
  23. Avatar
    Author
    PennyTrader04/10/2021 22:47

Should be an easier job then if that’s the case but it’ll need filling aro …Should be an easier job then if that’s the case but it’ll need filling around the duct.Tradespeople are like gold dust though at the moment and booked up for months.So getting it done quickly and on the cheap may be a problem. They are are likely to quote you over £100 with a take it or leave it attitude even though it’s a quick job.

I'll call out a few and see what they quote, doesn't look too much to me either except the wiring and drilling a few holes to put through cables but access is available through an attic so makes that part not too complicated either.
Post a comment
Top Merchants