Looking to upgrade my old pc

Posted 5th May
motherboard asus p6t deluxe,intel xeon x5650 ,memory 16gb ddr3 1.3ghz graphics card radeon gtx 970 i want to upgrade for more gaming the case is ok have ssd monitor and hard drive but i was thinking of a new motherboard graphics card and memory and processor budget around £600 to 700 i know its not a massive budget but any help /advice i would really appreciate
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
Try to upgrade to a 3600? And a 5700?

3600 £138
5700 £300
16gb 3200 mhz ram £70
MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC AM4 £125

£633, not the best prices but just a rough go.

Might be able to get a 5700xt if you shop about
Edited by: "Jordan_Taylor" 5th May
would my motherboard handle this and isthe 3600 a ryzen5 3600 and is it the rx 5700 graphics card you are referring to tks for reply
Edited by: "jasbos" 5th May
jasbos05/05/2020 16:08

would my motherboard handle this and isthe 3600 a ryzen5 3600 and is it …would my motherboard handle this and isthe 3600 a ryzen5 3600 and is it the rx 5700 graphics card you are referring to tks for reply

Your mobo isn't compatible with the ryzen 5 3600. You'd need a new mobo.

Also depends how powerful your power supply is as well.
Edited by: "Jordan_Taylor" 5th May
What is your PSU? How old is it?
yep psu is 7 years old so will need upgrade 2
jasbos05/05/2020 16:53

yep psu is 7 years old so will need upgrade 2

Age of PSU doesn't matter - just the brand and wattage. If it's a top brand the warranty might be 5-10 years.

If it's a random no name then you might want to upgrade it to avoid risk of failure/destroying your new hardware but totally up to you.

Have a look here, you can use the search to try and find builds with your desired hardware, e.g 3600 or 3600x

old.reddit.com/r/b…pc/

Another good resource is uk.pcpartpicker.com/bui…ds/
Again sort by what your looking for and you can see what kind of hardware people put together, read the comments and then do a bit of research to see if it is still a good idea to build (parts may be old or not super compatible for example motherboard BIOS needing flashed).
All good advice above. Interesting you were running a xeon. Do you have multi-thread requirements beyond gaming?

About all you are planning to keep is the monitor, SSD, hard drive and peripherals. As such, you are effectively looking at a replacement base unit. You may be happy keeping the case and PSU but maybe not. With a budget of up to £700, it's going to be tricky building a gaming rig that isn't compromised in some way. For gaming, the graphics card is your key component. Your GTX 970 is already fairly decent if a bit long in the tooth. If you want to stick with Nvidia, a 2070, which is your equivalent card 2 generations on, will cost you somewhere around £400. A 2080 could be your whole budget. In my view, for a noticeable upgrade, you will want something at least as fast as the 2070.

Processor and motherboard are your next consideration. For gaming, you can get away with a mid-range processor - around £150 but you may want a better motherboard for gaming sound and to take full advantage of the graphics card. Overall, this is starting to look very much like the list of items provided by Jordan_Taylor.

Although I have built all my own rigs for the past 15 years, with your budget, it may be possible to source a pre-built base unit with the same components, warranty and no hassle to build, particularly if you are happy to put your own SSD and drives in. For example, this offer from AWD-IT at £870: awd-it.co.uk/awd…tml

By the time you have sold your old base unit / components, it should come within budget.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions