Groups

Looks like Facebook Messenger is going to hit us with even more adverts

Editor
    Yep, I guess it was an inevitability. A new Facebook Messenger update is on it's way and it looks like we're being treated to some targeted advertising there too.You should be able to hide the ones that aren't for you, but that will just be replaced with yet another one and so on and so forth...

Businesses won't be able to contact us directly via messenger, unless you start a conversation with them. It's being trialed across Australia and Thailand and will probably be with us in the UK before we know it. Most adverts don't bother me personally (too much) But I can see a lot of people really disliking this move.

There have already been over a billion messages sent back and forth via the messenger service, so it's a pretty huge way to drive their sales. Personally I think it will get in the way, as well as looking like one of those pages that make you wade though loads of adds before getting to the point.

"However there is a way of avoiding the messages - and it all depends on how you've used Messenger in the past.

The bots will only be able to send out sponsored messages to users that have messaged them in the past requesting information." - Source

https://fbblogmessenger.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/32.png?w=350&h=506

33 Comments

Facebook ? G'day....

Does anyone know why I can only go back a week on my news feed. There is a box at the bottom which says add more friends to see more news but I don't see what difference that makes and why should I add people I don't want to.

Banned

FB really is the work of the devil

I binned Facebook years ago...best decision I ever made

I've never had facebook, too much trouble lol. but kinda get the feeling I'm missing out?

STRICKIBHOY

I've never had facebook, too much trouble lol. but kinda get the feeling … I've never had facebook, too much trouble lol. but kinda get the feeling I'm missing out?

I only just recently got it, don't really use it that much. It's alright but too many memes

STRICKIBHOY

I've never had facebook, too much trouble lol. but kinda get the feeling … I've never had facebook, too much trouble lol. but kinda get the feeling I'm missing out?

​Missing out on wasting your life glued to a screen pretending to like the Cocks you hated at school?

Use Disa on Android instead of messenger.

Curlyman83

I binned Facebook years ago...best decision I ever made

​Same here. I'm not interested in signing up to update feeds from a bunch of depressed narcissists.

Don't... Update...

So the only firms who'll be able to advertise to me on messenger are the ones I've contacted on messenger?
    But the only time I've contacted firms on Facebook is to tell them their customer service sucks and I've no intention of doing business with them again. This is going to be the worst targetted advertising ever.
    Edited by: "ArthurDent1" 27th Jan

Sounds fine to me, I've never contacted a company through it, and I bet there'll be an opt out just like reputable email newsletters.
    Edited by: "jackbremer" 27th Jan

hadyanth

​Same here. I'm not interested in signing up to update feeds from a bunch … ​Same here. I'm not interested in signing up to update feeds from a bunch of depressed narcissists.

If you don't like Facebook, fine, don't use it! But you don't have to insult those who do! I use it to keep in touch with people I wouldn't normally get to talk to. I'm not a "depressed narcissist" thanks and I respect other people's opinions without insulting them. Have a nice day

It's so annoying at the moment saying I've got unread messages even though I haven't!! seriously considering getting rid

Can you delete messenger and go back to the old way of sending a message?

Spookirules

If you don't like Facebook, fine, don't use it! But you don't have to … If you don't like Facebook, fine, don't use it! But you don't have to insult those who do! I use it to keep in touch with people I wouldn't normally get to talk to. I'm not a "depressed narcissist" thanks and I respect other people's opinions without insulting them. Have a nice day

Don't worry, hady has got it wrong. They're all on Twitter with The Donald. X)

hjm

I can't fit the messenger app on my old iPhone 4 but can still send & receive messages on my phone via Facebook if I tell it to load in desktop.

Original Poster Editor

Babbler

Don't... Update...

I 'think' They are forced if you wish to continue using the app

The ignorance of some people. Messenger is a free product. Facebook is a business - it needs to make money.

Do you honestly think it's "wrong" that they're showing adverts in exchange for you using their product?

It's not a charity.
    Edited by: "mantisinc" 27th Jan

Spookirules

If you don't like Facebook, fine, don't use it! But you don't have to … If you don't like Facebook, fine, don't use it! But you don't have to insult those who do! I use it to keep in touch with people I wouldn't normally get to talk to. I'm not a "depressed narcissist" thanks and I respect other people's opinions without insulting them. Have a nice day

If you're not a "depressed narcissist" then why are you taking offence? He obviously wasn't referring to you if you aren't one. Unless of course, secretly you are, which is why you know the message is about you... but then that's exactly what depressed narcissist would think and do... come to think of it, you're responding in the exact same way a depressed narcissist would!! Holy cow, you are one! :P

Dumped Facebook three years ago - I was obsessed with it. Now I don't understand why I bothered. I never used it to 'keep in touch' with people; I was just using it as a tool to get annoyed with how annoying people are - I didn't care how nice so-and-so's holiday was, and I didn't care about how pregnant anyone was, or how annoyed with their boyfriend they were. I just spent my life engaging in things I didn't need to and getting annoyed with myself for doing so.

On the other hand, if you approach it right, I'm sure it gives some people a lot of joy. Maybe I just communicated with the wrong people or have terrible friends and ex schoolmates - who can say?

I just communicate with people I like via WhatsApp now. If I don't like someone enough to give them my number then I don't particularly want to see pictures of their holiday in the Canarys.

Spookirules

​Really don't get why you're so touchy. But hope the rest of your night gets better

Teepeezee

It's so annoying at the moment saying I've got unread messages even … It's so annoying at the moment saying I've got unread messages even though I haven't!! seriously considering getting rid

You might have some in the 'others' folder, it will say you have message requests.

imafruitbasket

You might have some in the 'others' folder, it will say you have message … You might have some in the 'others' folder, it will say you have message requests.

​thank you, just checked but I haven't got any, thanks for the suggestion though

You could always use your inclusive text messages or another messaging service?

hadyanth

​Really don't get why you're so touchy. But hope the rest of your night g … ​Really don't get why you're so touchy. But hope the rest of your night gets better

Because she's a depressed narcissist. They're all moody lol

hjm

​Writing and posting letters? Sure, of course you can. Just make sure you put a stamp on the envelope or the recipient might not get it.
    Edited by: "krlbrd" 28th Jan

i only had it when it was cool.

I dont know about anybody else, i hate their messenger. It was ok before they made it a stand alone messenger, now i have to dowload this orrible app as well, urggg!

hadyanth

​Same here. I'm not interested in signing up to update feeds from a bunch … ​Same here. I'm not interested in signing up to update feeds from a bunch of depressed narcissists.

​Sorry to hear that your friends are narcissistic. I wish you well in finding more suitable friends.

krlbrd

​Writing and posting letters? Sure, of course you can. Just make sure you … ​Writing and posting letters? Sure, of course you can. Just make sure you put a stamp on the envelope or the recipient might not get it.

Very very funny.....You know fine well what I mean you sarcastic so and so..:p

Bring back Friends Reunited.

I love Facebook - I really like being able to see what people I didn't talk to 20 years ago at school are having for dinner
    Edited by: "Cakeboy79" 30th Jan
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…68
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047121
      3. word association Game73944494
      4. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!1417

See more discussions