Looks like lockdown ended in s London?

Posted 30th Apr
Travelling through s London to work today, could not believe the amount of traffic, seems like In the last week it’s gone from a few cars and vans to gridlock.
A2 solid to Blackwall tunell, Blackheath at a standstill, I was enjoying the quiet roads on my bike but now back to normal, if not worse, what’s happened?
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
I think for a lot of people who are not funded by the taxpayer to stay at home (furloughed), they have to get back to work... they have no choice. It's that or they face ruin in many cases.
jazid30/04/2020 11:32

What I find strange is that people are willing to take the chance. One …What I find strange is that people are willing to take the chance. One third of all people admitted to hospital related to CV19 die in hospital. Those are not good odds.I understand people also have to work and the government is being too slow to clarify financial support, but do you really want to gamble with loved ones lives?

You have to chuckle at the articles you see with quotes like 'I went to 'location X' and there was lots of people there, why aren't people listening'. Then why are you there! You are part of the problem. Everything is always someone else's problem.
44 Comments
I've noticed the same thing here in Liverpool.
Same here other than the supermarkets queue to allow social distancing life is back to normal.
At sunset it does get very quiet as bars clubs shut and people would struggle to give a reasonable reason why they are out if stopped by the police
I think for a lot of people who are not funded by the taxpayer to stay at home (furloughed), they have to get back to work... they have no choice. It's that or they face ruin in many cases.
More traffic outside my house. Must be all the builders allowed back to work.
Yes I live on a main road South West England traffic seems same as normal!
The smaller scale builders haven't stopped around here either. I'm not talking about construction sites or that kind of thing. I have a handyman type of bloke close by who regularly goes out 2 or 3 times a day, probably fixing up shelves etc. It's like nothing has changed.
Traffic has indeed jumped up in the last week or so. But buses are still empty most of the time. Distancing inside the stores has always been a problem, worked only outside in the queue.
My neighbours go out regularly each day, idiots!
Same here in Scotland my husband has to go to work and he has mentioned how the traffic has increased this week
Yep definitely noticed roads have got much busier over last few days
Typical idiotic mentality,a bit of "good news" and suddenly we think it's all back to normal.
Sc4mp030/04/2020 11:12

Typical idiotic mentality,a bit of "good news" and suddenly we think it's …Typical idiotic mentality,a bit of "good news" and suddenly we think it's all back to normal.

Not realising that it was the lockdown that helped in controlling the pandemic to some extent. The value of prevention is sadly unappreciated.
Traffic as bizi as ever here
What I find strange is that people are willing to take the chance. One third of all people admitted to hospital related to CV19 die in hospital. Those are not good odds.
I understand people also have to work and the government is being too slow to clarify financial support, but do you really want to gamble with loved ones lives?
We could hear jetskis motoring, when it was sunny a few days ago and the wind was onshore. No idea if they were locals, or come down to the coast for the day.

What I find strange is that people are willing to take the chance. One …What I find strange is that people are willing to take the chance. One third of all people admitted to hospital related to CV19 die in hospital. Those are not good odds.I understand people also have to work and the government is being too slow to clarify financial support, but do you really want to gamble with loved ones lives?

You can take a horse to water but you can’t make it drink
There may be many people who would have usually taken public transport to work now driving as being on your own in a car is better than in a train carriage with strangers.

So it may just be that more people are driving. Also some workplaces where people cannot work from home (factories etc) are probably starting to get going again as they cannot afford to stay closed.
Edited by: "jon81uk" 30th Apr

You have to chuckle at the articles you see with quotes like 'I went to 'location X' and there was lots of people there, why aren't people listening'. Then why are you there! You are part of the problem. Everything is always someone else's problem.
40589013-mnTMI.jpg
plebbygiraffe30/04/2020 11:54

You have to chuckle at the articles you see with quotes like 'I went to …You have to chuckle at the articles you see with quotes like 'I went to 'location X' and there was lots of people there, why aren't people listening'. Then why are you there! You are part of the problem. Everything is always someone else's problem.

Another good one, that thread yesterday, I found a hair on my cheesecake.
splender30/04/2020 12:04

[Image]

Misleading graph, this is overall excess death caused by the lockdown. Not just Co-vid 19. Could you report why you would paste this and the meaning why? Also covid-19 was represented on death certificates but may have been an indirect factor. These graphs have been splattered irresponsibly in so many articles and media broadcasts.
This means all the idiots will die off and not reproduce.
Saving the gene pool for the future.
Frankie7730/04/2020 12:15

Misleading graph, this is overall excess death caused by the lockdown. Not …Misleading graph, this is overall excess death caused by the lockdown. Not just Co-vid 19. Could you report why you would paste this and the meaning why? Also covid-19 was represented on death certificates but may have been an indirect factor. These graphs have been splattered irresponsibly in so many articles and media broadcasts.

Fair enough, you made a good point. A graph always tells many stories, a picture implies a thousand words. And is unlikely to address your specific points on what are misleading, by virtue of absence of your words and their words.

After your analysis, itemise what are wrong with facts not lies nor opinion please, and you may use the same extrapolation technical or better numerical methods to do your verbal and non-verbal reasoning ; UK coronavirus deaths more than double official figure, according to FT study | Free to read
Edited by: "splender" 30th Apr
Frankie7730/04/2020 12:15

Misleading graph, this is overall excess death caused by the lockdown. Not …Misleading graph, this is overall excess death caused by the lockdown. Not just Co-vid 19. Could you report why you would paste this and the meaning why? Also covid-19 was represented on death certificates but may have been an indirect factor. These graphs have been splattered irresponsibly in so many articles and media broadcasts.

Because although it might not be directly related to Covid, we are seeing a huge increase in deaths compared to previous years and that in itself is worrying. If deaths are 37% higher than normal but not all of them are covid directly, the indirect cost of the virus is still high.
jon81uk30/04/2020 12:18

Because although it might not be directly related to Covid, we are seeing …Because although it might not be directly related to Covid, we are seeing a huge increase in deaths compared to previous years and that in itself is worrying. If deaths are 37% higher than normal but not all of them are covid directly, the indirect cost of the virus is still high.

Thanks jon81uk, a bit of analogy for fun and games.

As a child, in a usual group class, we had played with musical chairs (limited beds).

When another class of children came out, they played instead this musical chair (beds and resources).

We had to wait on the grass (home), some of us were bored waiting (died).

The second group's eliminated children (died) sat on the grass too.

(In brackets, words of analogy. @Frankie77 )

40589449-tUAVS.jpg
I worked out the current statistics of coronavirus you have .05% chance of dying from coronavirus. Times this by 20 & it would still only be 1%.
Ukguy10130/04/2020 12:42

I worked out the current statistics of coronavirus you have .05% chance of …I worked out the current statistics of coronavirus you have .05% chance of dying from coronavirus. Times this by 20 & it would still only be 1%.

Yes, I agree, say, 0.05% for sure, then what?

Are you saying, allow all 2000 different events, with same risk chance, times the same 0.05%, we can all die in Britain?

BTW, how did you get, calculate 0.05%?
Still Quiet here in the North end of Liverpool.
I go out for a 6-8 mile ride once a day to keep the blood flowing ( following government guidelines!!! ) .
And roads still very quiet .
Only place you see crowds is in supermarkets.
But most people here have gardens unlike Liverpool City and most city centres .
Thats where you will see most people breaking rules as they are stuck in apartments under 50 Square Metres.
splender30/04/2020 12:50

Yes, I agree, say, 0.05% for sure, then what? Are you saying, allow all …Yes, I agree, say, 0.05% for sure, then what? Are you saying, allow all 2000 different events, with same risk chance, times the same 0.05%, we can all die in Britain?

Nope just putting things in to perspective that's all
Up here (Sunderland) there has been an increase in traffic, but not massively, depending on location.
Was down the seafront Friday and it was as busy as a normal Friday afternoon on the roads, although not many on the beach.
Went to the Freeman hospital on Monday during what would normally be rush hour. That journey at that time, would usually take between 60 and 90 minutes (past Testos, through tunnel and then along the coast road for anyone up here). Both ways took 20 minutes each on Monday, which is a massive drop in traffic compared to usual.
Ukguy10130/04/2020 12:54

Nope just putting things in to perspective that's all

What perspective? You haven't said how you got to 0.05% yet. And, you have not provided other data, scenarios, to put this single item (0.05%) into perspective.

Like in an exam question: Here is 0.05% of covid-19 death, put this into perspective please? Answer: put on blank sheet provided.

How do you think 100,000 students taking this exam question will put things into the expected perspective appearing on the examiners' marking scheme?! How about, I put down, the perspective is 2000, X 0.05% , therefore, the whole population of Britain could die of Covid19 plus 1999 other diseases, assuming each person has one disease only.

(A reminder, you said, "I worked out the current statistics of coronavirus you have .05% chance of dying from coronavirus. "
Certainty getting back to normal at my work. I think there is a quiet encouragement to get back to normal so we can make sure we get paid and in doing so we apply gentle pressure on other companies to do same.

Plenty of people calling in wanting to know if they can change there job to work at home as much as possible tho!

Holidays over!
Edited by: "groenleader" 30th Apr
groenleader30/04/2020 15:50

Certainty getting back to normal at my work. I think there is a quiet …Certainty getting back to normal at my work. I think there is a quiet encouragement to get back to normal so we can make sure we get paid and in doing so we apply gentle pressure on other companies to do same. Plenty of people calling in wanting to know if they can change there job to work at home as much as possible tho! Holidays over!

You think lockdown is a holiday ?!?!?
You all should the news of other countries spiking again after easing lockdown....
AgentDaleCooper30/04/2020 17:50

You all should the news of other countries spiking again after easing …You all should the news of other countries spiking again after easing lockdown....

You mean like South Korea where 292 'reinfections' were false positives.

Austria - below 100 new cases since reopening
Denmark - Under 200 new cases since lifting lockdown.
Edited by: "Frankie77" 30th Apr
splender30/04/2020 13:00

What perspective? You haven't said how you got to 0.05% yet. And, you have …What perspective? You haven't said how you got to 0.05% yet. And, you have not provided other data, scenarios, to put this single item (0.05%) into perspective.Like in an exam question: Here is 0.05% of covid-19 death, put this into perspective please? Answer: put on blank sheet provided. How do you think 100,000 students taking this exam question will put things into the expected perspective appearing on the examiners' marking scheme?! How about, I put down, the perspective is 2000, X 0.05% , therefore, the whole population of Britain could die of Covid19 plus 1999 other diseases, assuming each person has one disease only.(A reminder, you said, "I worked out the current statistics of coronavirus you have .05% chance of dying from coronavirus. "

Boring.
Yesterday, saw a skip truck and cement mixer after many days on my road. But otherwise haven’t seen much increase in traffic that others are seeing.

TBH some businesses will not be able to see such a lengthy lock down.
Frankie7730/04/2020 18:02

You mean like South Korea where 292 'reinfections' were false …You mean like South Korea where 292 'reinfections' were false positives.Austria - below 100 new cases since reopeningDenmark - Under 200 new cases since lifting lockdown.

Possibly Germany which have gone up.

Relaxing the lockdown would be disastrous at this time.
Sc4mp030/04/2020 18:33

Possibly Germany which have gone up.Relaxing the lockdown would be …Possibly Germany which have gone up.Relaxing the lockdown would be disastrous at this time.

No evidence this is the case. Even with Germany's situation, the new numbers represented an increase in tests being undertaken from the weekend.
Lots more accidents as well
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions