Loose coping stone

Posted 19th Oct
I have a similar coping stone to that in the pic, which has come loose from the brick pillar.

We took the stone off and poured ready mixed mortar over the top of the brick pillar, then put the coping stone back. When the mortar dried we had expected the coping stone to stay in position but it is still loose.

Have we not done the mortar correctly, like not enough mortar or is there a better method to stick the coping stone back on to the brick pillar?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
deeky19/10/2019 16:55

I can cope perfectly well, thank you, as upsetting as it is to see poor …I can cope perfectly well, thank you, as upsetting as it is to see poor old mutters encountering yet another problem

Pillar of the community coping via a heart of stone.
mutley119/10/2019 16:57

not heard of it before. just googled the product and it seems to be for …not heard of it before. just googled the product and it seems to be for indoors? are you sure this will work outdoors? i had not expected a coping stone to be stuck on with glue!

Can I just ask, out of curiosity, what did you search for? Corned beef sandwich?

A 'Google' search of 'Pink Grip' brings this up as the top result?

38701689-EUi3p.jpg
Edited by: "deeky" 19th Oct
34 Comments
38701617-oLKD0.jpg
We? How many people did it take to do (or not) that?

I do hope you find a successful resolution though
Deeks won't be able to cope with this one.
Its not the correct way to do it but pink grip will stick it on solid just make sure its dust free and no loose bits on both surfaces and put loads on and youll need a hammer to get it back off
AndyRoyd19/10/2019 16:53

Deeks won't be able to cope with this one.

I can cope perfectly well, thank you, as upsetting as it is to see poor old mutters encountering yet another problem
Mark_Hickman19/10/2019 16:54

Its not the correct way to do it but pink grip will stick it on solid just …Its not the correct way to do it but pink grip will stick it on solid just make sure its dust free and no loose bits on both surfaces and put loads on and youll need a hammer to get it back off

not heard of it before. just googled the product and it seems to be for indoors? are you sure this will work outdoors? i had not expected a coping stone to be stuck on with glue!

not heard of it before. just googled the product and it seems to be for …not heard of it before. just googled the product and it seems to be for indoors? are you sure this will work outdoors? i had not expected a coping stone to be stuck on with glue!

Can I just ask, out of curiosity, what did you search for? Corned beef sandwich?

A 'Google' search of 'Pink Grip' brings this up as the top result?

38701689-EUi3p.jpg
deeky19/10/2019 16:55

I can cope perfectly well, thank you, as upsetting as it is to see poor …I can cope perfectly well, thank you, as upsetting as it is to see poor old mutters encountering yet another problem

Pillar of the community coping via a heart of stone.
I'd use a foaming polyurethane adhesive to bond it, really waterproof and sticks to most things including concrete. You'd need to moisten one surface and apply glue to the other. Don't go close to the edge as it will expand and you don't want it getting on the brickwork.

sealantsandtoolsdirect.co.uk/adh…BwE
Edited by: "melted" 19th Oct

I'm not sure about it being outdoors to be honest all i know is ive stuck many items to brick with it before and they were solid the next day but have to make sure they are dust free etc.
Maybe wait for better advice ? But i know my skirting ive stuck directly to blocks is not coming back off without a fight and i used it to stick plastic cladding to my ceiling and walls in my bathroom and it seems like it will rip the plaster off when i try to remove it in future, its solid
Congrats on 1112 not sure how or why you do it but fair play to you it brightens our days and makes us realise how lucky we are in life.
Edited by: "fearona" 19th Oct
Mark_Hickman19/10/2019 17:07

I'm not sure about it being outdoors to be honest all i know is ive stuck …I'm not sure about it being outdoors to be honest all i know is ive stuck many items to brick with it before and they were solid the next day but have to make sure they are dust free etc.Maybe wait for better advice ? But i know my skirting ive stuck directly to blocks is not coming back off without a fight and i used it to stick plastic cladding to my ceiling and walls in my bathroom and it seems like it will rip the plaster off when i try to remove it in future, its solid

'Ct1'same sort of thing as pink grip works outside all weathers.
Add some SBR to the mix and surfaces https://www.wickes.co.uk/KA-SBR-Bond-Co-Polymer-Bonding-Compound—1L/p/139061
Who wants to be part of the sweepstake,number of comments this one will get and how many are helpful. 56 comments, 5 helpful ones. No prizes offered on this one
Edited by: "eslick" 19th Oct
Wickes used to stock a very good building adhesive which would have sorted this no problem. Unfortunately I've never found another product which comes close to it for strength but Pinkgrip looks like it might be worth a try.
Mutley, here’s one for your scrap book in case you ever remove your dishwasher or even washing machine.

hotukdeals.com/dis…766
Just buy some sand and cement, mix at 3 parts sand to 1 part cement and it will hold.

Readymix isn't any good.
If you do use mortar to bond it, you should make the coping stone and the wall wet before applying it, otherwise the stone and wall will suck the water out of the cement and it will dry too quickly and not stick. I would also add PVA or other suitable admix to improve the bonding strength.

For one coping stone it is quicker to just moisten it and use a PU adhesive as I mentioned above, its very strong and 100% waterproof.

Here's someone using Gorilla glue (which is just an overpriced PU glue) to build a whole wall

Edited by: "melted" 20th Oct
melted19/10/2019 17:05

I'd use a foaming polyurethane adhesive to bond it, really waterproof and …I'd use a foaming polyurethane adhesive to bond it, really waterproof and sticks to most things including concrete. You'd need to moisten one surface and apply glue to the other. Don't go close to the edge as it will expand and you don't want it getting on the brickwork.https://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.co.uk/adhesives/wood_glue_and_adhesive/d4_waterproof_wood_adhesives/everbuild_lumberjack_pu_wood_glue_45_minute_750g_45minpu7_P23622.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInJv7jdeo5QIVj0PTCh3ziwZXEAQYBCABEgLdB_D_BwE

that looks like for wood though? it says that you can use it to glue wood to concrete but not sure if this means the same as concrete to concrete.
cmdr_elito19/10/2019 17:53

Add some SBR to the mix and surfaces …Add some SBR to the mix and surfaces https://www.wickes.co.uk/KA-SBR-Bond-Co-Polymer-Bonding-Compound—1L/p/139061

this sounds more logical. i just can't see how a stick of glue is going to be hardy enough to stick a block of concrete. this sounds more likely to work better, considering now there is a layer of mortar that we have spread on the top of the column that has hardened but has done diddly squat for retaining the coping stone.
MR112319/10/2019 18:37

Comment deleted

that is not our wall. mine is slimmer but it is the only one similar to ours that i could find on the net. ours is about 2/3rds of that and the coping stone is only on the pillar and not the wall itself.
deeky19/10/2019 17:00

Can I just ask, out of curiosity, what did you search for? Corned beef …Can I just ask, out of curiosity, what did you search for? Corned beef sandwich?A 'Google' search of 'Pink Grip' brings this up as the top result?[Image]

‘Corned beef sandwich’ that just made my day
markvirgo19/10/2019 22:48

Just buy some sand and cement, mix at 3 parts sand to 1 part cement and it …Just buy some sand and cement, mix at 3 parts sand to 1 part cement and it will hold. Readymix isn't any good.

i have noticed that ready mix mortar is not very strong when it dries. it is sort of flaky, if that is the right description. what is it used for if it is no good?
melted20/10/2019 10:31

If you do use mortar to bond it, you should make the coping stone and the …If you do use mortar to bond it, you should make the coping stone and the wall wet before applying it, otherwise the stone and wall will suck the water out of the cement and it will dry too quickly and not stick. I would also add PVA or other suitable admix to improve the bonding strength.For one coping stone it is quicker to just moisten it and use a PU adhesive as I mentioned above, its very strong and 100% waterproof. Here's someone using Gorilla glue (which is just an overpriced PU glue) to build a whole wall [Video]

hey, will gorilla glue work? i just got some the other day as they were on offer.
mutley120/10/2019 10:46

hey, will gorilla glue work? i just got some the other day as they were …hey, will gorilla glue work? i just got some the other day as they were on offer.

Should do mutters.

38705602-iYSlt.jpg
Edited by: "deeky" 20th Oct
mutley120/10/2019 10:46

hey, will gorilla glue work? i just got some the other day as they were …hey, will gorilla glue work? i just got some the other day as they were on offer.

Providing it is their "original" PU glue, and not their PVA wood glue.

38705769-ixo8g.jpg
You must make one of the surfaces slightly damp, but don't soak it, PU glue requires moisture to activate it. Gorilla glue is marketed for sticking stone etc :- uk.gorillaglue.com/gor…al/

I wouldn't build a whole wall with it though

I have used gorilla glue to reattach a coping stone, and have used various other brands of PU adhesive for bonding wood and other materials to walls and also for repairing boats.
Edited by: "melted" 20th Oct
mutley120/10/2019 10:38

this sounds more logical. i just can't see how a stick of glue is going …this sounds more logical. i just can't see how a stick of glue is going to be hardy enough to stick a block of concrete. this sounds more likely to work better, considering now there is a layer of mortar that we have spread on the top of the column that has hardened but has done diddly squat for retaining the coping stone.

I got that tip from a builder after asking them why mine kept falling off. Used it and they haven’t fallen off so far.

Tried the resin trick the year before after a winter they all came off. SBR is the best option.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 20th Oct
mutley120/10/2019 10:41

that is not our wall. mine is slimmer but it is the only one similar to …that is not our wall. mine is slimmer but it is the only one similar to ours that i could find on the net. ours is about 2/3rds of that and the coping stone is only on the pillar and not the wall itself.

Why would you not show your actual wall instead of some random picture from the internet?
You own a camera don't you.
Will make a solution easier.
melted20/10/2019 11:18

Providing it is their "original" PU glue, and not their PVA wood …Providing it is their "original" PU glue, and not their PVA wood glue.[Image] You must make one of the surfaces slightly damp, but don't soak it, PU glue requires moisture to activate it. Gorilla glue is marketed for sticking stone etc :- https://uk.gorillaglue.com/gorilla-glue-original/I wouldn't build a whole wall with it though I have used gorilla glue to reattach a coping stone, and have used various other brands of PU adhesive for bonding wood and other materials to walls and also for repairing boats.

damn, just checked the glue and it is wood glue!
cmdr_elito20/10/2019 11:45

I got that tip from a builder after asking them why mine kept falling off. …I got that tip from a builder after asking them why mine kept falling off. Used it and they haven’t fallen off so far.Tried the resin trick the year before after a winter they all came off. SBR is the best option.

i will go and see if i can find this at our local wickes
fearona20/10/2019 15:04

Why would you not show your actual wall instead of some random picture …Why would you not show your actual wall instead of some random picture from the internet?You own a camera don't you.Will make a solution easier.

Privacy concerns. He likes to keep himself to himself.
fearona20/10/2019 15:04

Why would you not show your actual wall instead of some random picture …Why would you not show your actual wall instead of some random picture from the internet?You own a camera don't you.Will make a solution easier.

the house is in london! i am not going to make a special trip up there just to take a photo to make you feel better!
Edited by: "mutley1" 20th Oct
mutley120/10/2019 20:52

the house is in london! i am not going to make a special trip up there …the house is in london! i am not going to make a special trip up there just to take a photo to make you feel better!

Nothing makes any sense you are saying
fearona20/10/2019 21:29

Nothing makes any sense you are saying

Are you new here?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants