Found 22nd Dec 2014
bbc.co.uk/new…114

Sad news - ambulance service reporting fatalities

1. Misc
  2. Glasgow
111 Comments

Edited by: "Angel_Of_The_North" 22nd Dec 2014

Original Poster Banned

6 people now confirmed dead. Casualties from Royal Exchange Square to George Square.

Sounds and looks awful. Hope nobody has been killed or there are any serious injuries.

My heart goes out to everybody concerned, such a terrible accident.

Tragic. So sad x

How absolutely awful, especially at this time of year (horrible any time of year but so near Xmas)

Why do they need so many appliances: Police fire engines etc.???
Surely its ambulances they need and medics?

Horrible. Sounds like the driver might have been incapacitated somehow.

sowotsdis

Why do they need so many appliances: Police fire engines etc.???Surely … Why do they need so many appliances: Police fire engines etc.???Surely its ambulances they need and medics?

Police- crowd control, road closures, accident investigation etc

Fire - make the area safe from explosion, cut free any victims trapped, aid the ambulance service
Edited by: "transit" 22nd Dec 2014

sowotsdis

Why do they need so many appliances: Police fire engines etc.???Surely … Why do they need so many appliances: Police fire engines etc.???Surely its ambulances they need and medics?

I think generally speaking with any major incident, they probably have a set amount of appliances they send, then they'll assess the situation and dial it back. Given it's an incident involving vehicles, they probably sent fire engines in case any cutting was required. Totally guessing here btw, but it would make sense.

Terrible shame.

Big respect and heartfelt thanks to those individuals who tried to help the injured.

My thoughts to those who have lost or suffered

disgraceful reporting from James Matthews for SkyNews repeatedly badgering eye witnesses for the gruesome details of victims (including children) squashed in the street

the guy needs a firm punch in his ugly fecking face
http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/01887/james_1887963a.jpg

Heart goes out to the families that will be soon getting a knock on the door.

R.I.P

Driver suffered a heart attack... Not said if he has survived or not?

last year in Glasgow we had the clutha tradgedy.now this.6 people confirmed dead.I,ve phoned my kids and thank god they,re not in town.words are inadequate.

Banned

Such awful news.

And there was me thinking I'd been doing well buying my Xmas gifts in the last few days but worried I might not get it all sorted. This puts things into perspective.

RIP those who've lost their lives and a speedy recovery to the injured. Prayers are with them and their families.

118luke

Driver suffered a heart attack... Not said if he has survived or not?

The driver is alive he has been taken to hospital.

It makes you think drivers in charge of such large vehicles such be vetted out and or medically checked, although I realize it's an accident but when you think machinery these days have loads of protocol to shut down rapidly during an emergency and then you get a big truck able to carry on for so long under its own steam.

RIP, I presume this must have been caught on cctv although it will be horrifying to examine by the authorities.

airfix

It makes you think drivers in charge of such large vehicles such be … It makes you think drivers in charge of such large vehicles such be vetted out and or medically checked, although I realize it's an accident but when you think machinery these days have loads of protocol to shut down rapidly during an emergency and then you get a big truck able to carry on for so long under its own steam. RIP, I presume this must have been caught on cctv although it will be horrifying to examine by the authorities.

Probably best not to jump to conclusions at this time until the facts are disclosed.

transit

Probably best not to jump to conclusions at this time until the facts are … Probably best not to jump to conclusions at this time until the facts are disclosed.

The lorry travelled 300 metres, thats a fact I believe, all I'm saying is its crazy vehicles can carry on so long without an emergency system cutting in to stop it.

airfix

The lorry travelled 300 metres, thats a fact I believe, all I'm saying is … The lorry travelled 300 metres, thats a fact I believe, all I'm saying is its crazy vehicles can carry on so long without an emergency system cutting in to stop it.

Is it not possible the driver collapsed in such a way he was pressing the accelerator?

transit

Is it not possible the driver collapsed in such a way he was pressing the … Is it not possible the driver collapsed in such a way he was pressing the accelerator?

Of course, which is what happened, I'm trying to say here with technology etc why can't such vehicles have an emergency over ride which automatically stops the vehicle?

The bin lorry allegedly sped up and went onto the pavement,coming to rest in the wall of a hotel,an eyewitness said it looked as if the drivers head was bobbing up and down.

airfix

Of course, which is what happened, I'm trying to say here with technology … Of course, which is what happened, I'm trying to say here with technology etc why can't such vehicles have an emergency over ride which automatically stops the vehicle?

How would that work if the accelerator pedal is being used?

transit

How would that work if the accelerator pedal is being used?

I've not yet designed the system yet but currently sketching the idea out to approach the manufacturers.

Banned

airfix

I've not yet designed the system yet but currently sketching the idea out … I've not yet designed the system yet but currently sketching the idea out to approach the manufacturers.

Sounds like a great idea, not sure how the vehicle will know somethings happened to the driver.

Banned

Proper gutted for those who lost their lives and their families, it's always sad when innocent people die but always seams sadder so close to Christmas when it should be a time of happiness.

bazzamone

Sounds like a great idea, not sure how the vehicle will know somethings … Sounds like a great idea, not sure how the vehicle will know somethings happened to the driver.

There is technology out there to do all sorts of things, just look at what a simple smartphone can do.

airfix

I've not yet designed the system yet but currently sketching the idea out … I've not yet designed the system yet but currently sketching the idea out to approach the manufacturers.

You know what i'm saying though, the only obvious emergency solution i can think of is what they use on the newer cherry picker/ mewps. it's a bar that is over the contols and if you collapse over it it cuts out the engine and sounds an alarm.( was designed to stop people being crushed )

Although this system would only work if the driver collapses forward.

transit

You know what i'm saying though, the only obvious emergency solution i … You know what i'm saying though, the only obvious emergency solution i can think of is what they use on the newer cherry picker/ mewps. it's a bar that is over the contols and if you collapse over it it cuts out the engine and sounds an alarm.( was designed to stop people being crushed )Although this system would only work if the driver collapses forward.

So why can't the driver be monitored in case of this and then the software shuts down the power and brakes safely to a halt?

I know even now some cars can sense when the driver falls asleep.
Edited by: "airfix" 22nd Dec 2014

airfix

So why can't the driver be monitored in case of this and then the … So why can't the driver be monitored in case of this and then the software shuts down the power and brakes safely to a halt?

I'm sure they could but like anything it all comes down to cost, are the local councils willing to spend x amount fitting these devices to their bin wagons,, i seriously doubt it.

transit

You know what i'm saying though, the only obvious emergency solution i … You know what i'm saying though, the only obvious emergency solution i can think of is what they use on the newer cherry picker/ mewps. it's a bar that is over the contols and if you collapse over it it cuts out the engine and sounds an alarm.( was designed to stop people being crushed )Although this system would only work if the driver collapses forward.

I imagine that any system which effectively immobilises a moving vehicle could be just as dangerous as a driver falling in a position where his/her foot is pressed on the accelerator.

airfix

There is technology out there to do all sorts of things, just look at … There is technology out there to do all sorts of things, just look at what a simple smartphone can do.

There's a DSD on a train (drivers safety device - AKA dead man's pedal) which applies the brakes if the pedal is released for more than 2 seconds. But as transit says, I could have a heart attack and my foot wouldn't necessarily release the pedal unless I fell out of the seat.

RossD89

I imagine that any system which effectively immobilises a moving vehicle … I imagine that any system which effectively immobilises a moving vehicle could be just as dangerous as a driver falling in a position where his/her foot is pressed on the accelerator.

It wouldn't stop dead, just cut the power and brake safely to halt, doesn't sound dangerous at all.

transit

airfix

So why can't the driver be monitored in case of this and then the … So why can't the driver be monitored in case of this and then the software shuts down the power and brakes safely to a halt?

Why not start a new thread and discuss the solutions, rather than derail a thread about tragedy.

There are very little official reports at the moment. It's one of these horrible stories that will evolve and take time to provide answers to the questions posed.

My heart goes out the injured and dead. Yet again, the Glaswegians have shown their true colours and rallied round to help everyone out.

deeky

There's a DSD on a train (drivers safety device - AKA dead man's pedal) … There's a DSD on a train (drivers safety device - AKA dead man's pedal) which applies the brakes if the pedal is released for more than 2 seconds. But as transit says, I could have a heart attack and my foot wouldn't necessarily release the pedal unless I fell out of the seat.

So maybe technology isn't up to date on these huge vehicles?

airfix

It wouldn't stop dead, just cut the power and brake safely to halt, … It wouldn't stop dead, just cut the power and brake safely to halt, doesn't sound dangerous at all.

Thank goodness we only have straight roads in the Uk.

So sad... thoughts go to all involved...

airfix

So maybe technology isn't up to date on these huge vehicles?

It's probably up to date but that doesn't mean foolproof.

Oh, you mean not up to date as in they don't have a DSD?

No, they probably don't.
Edited by: "deeky" 22nd Dec 2014

I should add, I don't disagree with the ideas above, just think a new thread would be best placed.
In fact I commend the ingenuity of the thoughts
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247662
    2. #KoemanIn, Thank You Koeman for trying to get Everton relegated!11
    3. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48810995
    4. Did you know?3157

See more discussions