Groups

losing car keys

Has anyone used the likes of KeyCare to have their car keys replaced?

Just wondering as locksmiths if they will be able to do a good enough job replacing key barrels / ignition barrel / bonnet barrel as good as perhaps a local car mechanic would? (i don't even know if they actually remove the barrels or not)

7 Comments

they just replace the key not barrels so it fairly easy job once they have recoded the new key to your car, expect to pay around £120 depending on what car you have.

We paid £35 on top of our car insurance for key covers......replaced key.....within 1 hour of the mobile locksmith coming to our home.

In all the years I've been driving I've never lost my keys. I can't see why anybody would fork out extra money to insure against something like this.

Original Poster

Thanks for the response guys, i was under the impression that the barrels will be replaced. Thanks

My car had a tag with the key number on it, not sure if they could match a lost key without that - and if you have that system, keep it somewhere safe, NOT on the keyring!!!

Most modern car keys have a passive chip buried in the plastic body of the key, if this chip doesnt match what the car is expecting, the ignition wont work; THIS is the bit you pay all the money for; the remote lock/unlock can be reset fairly easily.

When the Police stole* my car keys, I cut the chip out of a broken spare and had it glued into a replacement "Glovebox" key (it looks like a small, dark grey stone).

* Returned a year later with no apology or explanation, having spent the entire 12 months denying they had it.

Original Poster

Cheers for the responses guys, seems like keys have a come a long way since the days every lock had to be changed.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!1010
      2. Shana Tova to all Jewish HUKDers1317
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767229
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047103

See more discussions