Expired

Losing Weight - 18 Stone - Do I Still Need to Drink Those Protein Supplements After Exercising?

Found 27th Feb 2014
Looking to finally lose some weight. I'm 18 Stone atm and need to lose down to about 14 (I'd be happy with 15). Was wondering whether when I exercise would I need to still drink those protein drinks or what ever they are officially called after a workout?

I'm just looking at cardio at the moment to lose weight and then will look at some muscle building once I lose about 2.5 stones.
Community Updates
35 Comments
My weight has fluctuated over the years. I went from 24st 9lbs down to 12st 7lbs without any protein shakes, so I would say that you don't require them. All I done was light cardio and had a calorie restricted diet which then lead on to a healthy diet. Just make sure you're getting all of your vitamins and stuff.

Ps. I gained substantial weight after an operation, I'm about 20st again and about to embark on another weight loss journey!
What to do after your workout - don’t wait longer than 30 minutes:

DRINK WATER!!! Note your weight before and after you exercise and drink around 20 ounces of water for each pound lost.

Sports Drink is good as well, but only if you're going to be doing heavy distance running or cycling. If you're doing this for an hour or more then drink 8 ounces of sports drink for every hour as a guide.

If you want to take protein after exercise then try a yogurt smoothie, 20 grams is enough.

Eat carbs! Oranges and crackers. As a guide use a 2 to 1 ratio (carbs to protein); in other words eat twice as many carbs as you do protein; or 4 to 1 for more instensive exercise.

For this to work best then combine the protein & carb meal into 1.
Original Poster

I think that's where I fall down

sykoactiv8d

What to do after your workout - don’t wait longer than 30 minutes:DRINK W … What to do after your workout - don’t wait longer than 30 minutes:DRINK WATER!!! Note your weight before and after you exercise and drink around 20 ounces of water for each pound lost.Sports Drink is good as well, but only if you're going to be doing heavy distance running or cycling. If you're doing this for an hour or more then drink 8 ounces of sports drink for every hour as a guide.If you want to take protein after exercise then try a yogurt smoothie, 20 grams is enough.Eat carbs! Oranges and crackers. As a guide use a 2 to 1 ratio (carbs to protein); in other words eat twice as many carbs as you do protein; or 4 to 1 for more instensive exercise.For this to work best then combine the protein & carb meal into 1.

I think that's where I fall down I can and have the enthusiasm/ motivation etc to do exercise but I fall down with the eating. I'm asian so it's always curries at night and not the healthiest food (usually). I also have a soft spot for the old pizza which is not great. Maybe if I have a naughty day where I can eat what I want? A good idea? I have started drinking green tea at work and have water. The green tea seems to be cleansing the insides which is good.

So unless I'm actually doing muscle building exercises like weights etc no point buying those protein shakes?

Can I ask what the best advise to lose weight would be? I don't think I can use the treadmill yet as I get pain in my knees from weight even when I walk lol;. Maybe If I tried those you know cross trainer things that slide? Like you're skiing. If you know what I mean. Maybe an hour of that? and see how it goes for a week?

Or is it better to do a mixture? Maybe half hour of walking fast on a treadmill one day and that 'skiing machine type thing' the other day and then an exercise class? I guess will help to stop getting bored.

How do people motivate themselves?
I think a lot of it is sheer bloody-mindedness. Plus the slight high you get after intense exercise.
Me and my wife have both lost just over 3 stone since September without doing a single bit of exercise, just a change of diet alone was enough!
Edited by: "danzab" 27th Feb 2014
Original Poster
danzab

Me and my wife have both lost just over 3 stone since September without … Me and my wife have both lost just over 3 stone since September without doing a single bit of exercise, just a change of diet alone was enough!

Very good!

Any ideas on what diet you used? Or what types of food you found helpful etc? Is it like changing a chocolate bar for an apple kinda thing?
Original Poster
airbus330

I think a lot of it is sheer bloody-mindedness. Plus the slight high you … I think a lot of it is sheer bloody-mindedness. Plus the slight high you get after intense exercise.

What do you mean by sheer bloody-mindedness? I didn't quite grasp it lol sorry!
No... If you want to lose weight you need to cut your calories so drinking protein shakes that are high in carbs etc will not be suitable for you. Just eat balanced meals throughout the day and your fruits and veggies to keep you full for longer.
Original Poster
brawlzzz

No... If you want to lose weight you need to cut your calories so … No... If you want to lose weight you need to cut your calories so drinking protein shakes that are high in carbs etc will not be suitable for you. Just eat balanced meals throughout the day and your fruits and veggies to keep you full for longer.

yeah that's what I was thinking.

I guess once I lose the weight and then want to 'tone' up - if its even possible lol then the protien shakes etc will be good?
If you want to build mass and muscle then protein shakes are good. Only use them if you feel its necessary e.g. if your really busy and cannot cook etc. However you can eat balanced meals through out the day and still be able to look good! Don't fall into the trap and think that protein shakes do all the work for you.
You don't need shakes. Consume fewer calories & burn more calories & you will lose weight (& keep it off). If you cut your portion sizes & snacks you will only feel hungry for a few days then your body will adjust. Will power is all you need. Only other tip us to watch hidden calories in so called healthy food Eg fruit juice - Good luck !!
Hi Op,

I was 18 stone at the start of the year, I am now 15st 7lb (not that i admit that to anyone i know)....I am 5'7 and also suffer from PCOS and really have to work hard to lose weight....in 2009 i was 22 stone so considerably lighter than i was then !! Obviously less fat in your diet and more exercise will help you lose weight but i find the thing that has helped me a lot is cutting out sugar !! It is in EVERYTHING..i used to eat 0% fat yoghurts constantly until i realised how much sugar is in them and now i dont eat them at all !! I hate the gym but force myself to go 3 times a week for 90 minutes and thats enough Its the hardest thing ever to love food and not be able to eat it without gaining weight..i know...its been my life for the past 30 years

also avoid fad diets...its true..they dont work !!
krazyasif786

Very good!Any ideas on what diet you used? Or what types of food you … Very good!Any ideas on what diet you used? Or what types of food you found helpful etc? Is it like changing a chocolate bar for an apple kinda thing?

Hi, it was actually slimming world on extra easy that we followed, didn't join the groups out anything we just got hold of a starter pack and there is loads of into online. It's more of a lifestyle change than a diet but you can still eat crisps etc within reason. You actually have to eat a little bit of has stuff everyday for it to work which sounds strange but it does work. I miss drinking beer the most to be honest but I can actually have 3 bottles a night if I wanted to!
vaughan2508

Hi Op,I was 18 stone at the start of the year, I am now 15st 7lb (not … Hi Op,I was 18 stone at the start of the year, I am now 15st 7lb (not that i admit that to anyone i know)....I am 5'7 and also suffer from PCOS and really have to work hard to lose weight....in 2009 i was 22 stone so considerably lighter than i was then !! Obviously less fat in your diet and more exercise will help you lose weight but i find the thing that has helped me a lot is cutting out sugar !! It is in EVERYTHING..i used to eat 0% fat yoghurts constantly until i realised how much sugar is in them and now i dont eat them at all !! I hate the gym but force myself to go 3 times a week for 90 minutes and thats enough Its the hardest thing ever to love food and not be able to eat it without gaining weight..i know...its been my life for the past 30 years :(also avoid fad diets...its true..they dont work !!

5'7 and 22 stone?! Jeezy creezy.

Well done though, sounds like you've worked hard to lose the weight and get to where you are.

I am 6'5 and 15 stone and still apparently 'overweight'. I weighed 18.5 stone two years ago. Although my weight loss can be mainly attributed to depression, I don't suggest that as a viable method though

Move a bit more op, eat less, don't take protein shakes, just drink water. It needs to be sustainable tthough - this is why faddy diets don't work.
Original Poster
vaughan2508

Hi Op,I was 18 stone at the start of the year, I am now 15st 7lb (not … Hi Op,I was 18 stone at the start of the year, I am now 15st 7lb (not that i admit that to anyone i know)....I am 5'7 and also suffer from PCOS and really have to work hard to lose weight....in 2009 i was 22 stone so considerably lighter than i was then !! Obviously less fat in your diet and more exercise will help you lose weight but i find the thing that has helped me a lot is cutting out sugar !! It is in EVERYTHING..i used to eat 0% fat yoghurts constantly until i realised how much sugar is in them and now i dont eat them at all !! I hate the gym but force myself to go 3 times a week for 90 minutes and thats enough Its the hardest thing ever to love food and not be able to eat it without gaining weight..i know...its been my life for the past 30 years :(also avoid fad diets...its true..they dont work !!

That's very well done. I'm 5Ft 9 and 18 stone so should be 'ideal weight' 12 stone but I think that's too low. I'd love to be 14 stone. More importantly I'm 50 inch around the waist! Nothing fits anymore lol. I'd love to get down to 38 or even 36 so I get to alteast wear something:)

Anyway I'm going to join the gym on Saturday and do minimum 3 times a week cadio. An hour for the first week and see how it goes and then increase it a little more. You all are right it's very hard work especially as atm the gym is the last thing you wanna go to after a hard days graft. But long term wise it's the best thing to keep your old ticker ticking:)
A simplified version of what I've learnt over the years:

80% of losing weight is about being strict with what you eat. You could work out 5 times a week (and maybe skip the odd session) and burn 1000 calories. You could stick to your diet 6.5 days a week and eat 2,000 calories EASILY in one session. That will negate a lot of the hard work during the week.

Keep a diary of your training and your eating. Everyone says this. I rarely do.....but it's very useful. (myfitnesspal app is great)

Keep up with the cardio - it's not just about the half a mars bar you burn on the treadmill, it improves your general health and fitness and gives your metabolism a well needed boost.

Protein contains energy and therefore calories.

Drinking protein after cardio is not only pointless, it will put on the calories you burnt.

Muscles are made from protein, and when you've worked out (weights), you need to put protein into your system to provide the building blocks for muscle growth.
On a calorie controlled diet, it's a delicate balance between losing weight and eating little and getting protein into your body for muscles and not for fuel.

I go for whey during or immediately after a workout (quick release) and casein (slow release) the day after. Damn DOMS - still feeling the burn in my thighs two and a half days after my last session!

And find exercises and foods you enjoy, otherwise you'll get bored of it and binge - this is when you're at risk of putting on lots of weight, especially if your body has tuned itself to a diet of 1,200 calories and suddenly gets a month's worth of pent up frustration (choccy biscuits) chucked into it in the space of 3.5 minutes.
Hi, everything I'm about to say is what works for me. It will appear I'm stating things as facts, but they are for me, I am not saying anyone else is wrong in any way, the following is my advice and is not in response to anything posted by others,

Losing weight is easy, breaking habits/routine is hard. It's the habits/routine that provides the barrier to weight loss. The good thing is that good habits are just as difficult to break as bad habits as long as the good habits aren't boring you.

Counting calories and avoiding specific foods is so much trouble that you give up. Granted, I never ate a lot of 'bad' foods to begin with, but my problem was the size of the meals I was eating. I would feel uncomfortably full all night after my evening meal. Since reducing meal sizes I haven't felt like that after meals, but i am eating enough to be satisfied.

That's the first habit broken - eating far more than I need. I feel great, being full all the time was awful, I now have far more energy. This makes it easy not to go back to the old routine.

Second habit was always ''I'll exercise tomorrow.'' Tomorrow never came. Pick a time you can exercise regularly and stick to it. Walking outside is great. Exercise bikes are great, but incredibly boring. You can get past the boredom by watching TV shows. I choose a show that I will only watch whilst on the exercise bike, if it's a good show you'll look forward to the exercise. Don't push yourself too hard with the exercise at first or you won't stick with it.

If snacking is a problem find something to replace it. For me this is green tea. Taking the time to steep it and then drink it is a far enjoyable experience than scoffing biscuits or crisps.

Almost forgot, don't weigh yourself more than once a week and don't get upset if you don't lose weight every week. Concentrate on how you feel, if you make positive changes the way you feel should provide you with all the motivation you need.

Good luck.
myfitnesspal app is great for counting calories, When I diet I weigh everything and I am a strong user of the starvation diet, I eat nothing at all until an evening meal of no more then 800 calories.

I exercise every other day at least burning around 600 calories doing cardio work only.

I went from 15.5 stone to 11 stone and I usually put a bit on over xmas due to party's at work and go to about 13 stone.

Diets are what work for you, simply changing your lifestyle can work.

I never drink protein shakes as I prefer real food.
DennisG

A simplified version of what I've learnt over the years:80% of losing … A simplified version of what I've learnt over the years:80% of losing weight is about being strict with what you eat. You could work out 5 times a week (and maybe skip the odd session) and burn 1000 calories. You could stick to your diet 6.5 days a week and eat 2,000 calories EASILY in one session. That will negate a lot of the hard work during the week.Keep a diary of your training and your eating. Everyone says this. I rarely do.....but it's very useful. (myfitnesspal app is great)Keep up with the cardio - it's not just about the half a mars bar you burn on the treadmill, it improves your general health and fitness and gives your metabolism a well needed boost.Protein contains energy and therefore calories.Drinking protein after cardio is not only pointless, it will put on the calories you burnt.Muscles are made from protein, and when you've worked out (weights), you need to put protein into your system to provide the building blocks for muscle growth.On a calorie controlled diet, it's a delicate balance between losing weight and eating little and getting protein into your body for muscles and not for fuel.I go for whey during or immediately after a workout (quick release) and casein (slow release) the day after. Damn DOMS - still feeling the burn in my thighs two and a half days after my last session!And find exercises and foods you enjoy, otherwise you'll get bored of it and binge - this is when you're at risk of putting on lots of weight, especially if your body has tuned itself to a diet of 1,200 calories and suddenly gets a month's worth of pent up frustration (choccy biscuits) chucked into it in the space of 3.5 minutes.

to add to DennisG's and everyone else's tips here I go
cardio will be the best to strip fat as well as maintaining fitness , yes invest in a bluetooth heart rate monitor , and use the Karnoven algorithm to determine your fat burn zone and stick to that zone for a few weeks , the body fat will start to melt off as 85 % of your calorific burn will be from fat combustion
don't be tempted to exceed 60-70 % max fat burn zone as the body then draws most of it calories from anaerobic metab with fat calorific burn dropping to a lowly 15%
I've never drank a protein shake in my life! 6' 3" 15.9 stone
I eat properly halogen oven grilled fish / meat, veg
brown rice ( aldi ) yams ,nuts ( snack on peanuts and almond flakes (aldi) dusted down with extra hot rajah chilli powder to raise the metab rate and burn more cals)
drink plenty of water- bottled tesco Ashbeck water's lovely
I rarely use veg oil when cooking
exercise- wise mainly I skip weighted rope.. I do up to 2 hrs daily burning in excess of 2000 cals daily , use a Viiiiva dual rate bluetooth/ANT+ heart rate monitor to work within target zone - some days it's a fatburn trip other days a hench trip
endomondo pro , icardio (with inapp puchases) and nooms cardiotrainer

ankle weights are good ( cheap 1 kg x2 weights available on Blitz site
I also use a 20kg RDX weighted vest , 20 & 28kg kettle bells

why all the above at age 46?
to keep body weight low and remain nimble enough for the passion of my life: MTB-trials
Original Poster
darklight

to add to DennisG's and everyone else's tips here I go cardio will be … to add to DennisG's and everyone else's tips here I go cardio will be the best to strip fat as well as maintaining fitness , yes invest in a bluetooth heart rate monitor , and use the Karnoven algorithm to determine your fat burn zone and stick to that zone for a few weeks , the body fat will start to melt off as 85 % of your calorific burn will be from fat combustiondon't be tempted to exceed 60-70 % max fat burn zone as the body then draws most of it calories from anaerobic metab with fat calorific burn dropping to a lowly 15%I've never drank a protein shake in my life! 6' 3" 15.9 stoneI eat properly halogen oven grilled fish / meat, vegbrown rice ( aldi ) yams ,nuts ( snack on peanuts and almond flakes (aldi) dusted down with extra hot rajah chilli powder to raise the metab rate and burn more cals)drink plenty of water- bottled tesco Ashbeck water's lovelyI rarely use veg oil when cookingexercise- wise mainly I skip weighted rope.. I do up to 2 hrs daily burning in excess of 2000 cals daily , use a Viiiiva dual rate bluetooth/ANT+ heart rate monitor to work within target zone - some days it's a fatburn trip other days a hench tripendomondo pro , icardio (with inapp puchases) and nooms cardiotrainerankle weights are good ( cheap 1 kg x2 weights available on Blitz siteI also use a 20kg RDX weighted vest , 20 & 28kg kettle bellswhy all the above at age 46?to keep body weight low and remain nimble enough for the passion of my life: MTB-trials

What does this mean?

invest in a bluetooth heart rate monitor , and use the Karnoven algorithm to determine your fat burn zone

How does one determine the fat zone?

Do you just put on the heart monitor and it works things out for you and tells you this is the best zone to burn fat? How do you know you're in the fat zone? Does the heart monitor beep or say 'OOK you've hit 85%?' LOL sorry if this sounds niave - we all learn at one point:)
Banned
Simple, stop eating s#it
briancalkins.com/Hea…htm

Gave me the same result as the (220-Age) formula I'm familiar with.

Heart rate monitors are good - I have a polar one that syncs with my phone. Before I started interval training last year, my resting heart rate (which I was oblivious to until I bought one of these) was around 100. That's dangerously high, and it scared me. I trained my little ass off for about 2-3 months and it dropped considerably. These are the sort of intangible results (to the point where you wouldn't notice them in a mirror) that are hugely important for your general health.

As for 60% or 85% - work out your Max HR. Work out what 85% of that is. Say for argument's sake it's 160 for you. Run at a speed, step at a pace, cycle at an intensity that maintains that heart rate. Many machines in gyms sync with your monitor so that you can see the data on the machine - some people have watches, I find the phone method works best as you've always got your phone!

The Cross Trainer is excellent for weight loss. Virtually the same energy consumption as running but no impacts. I have bad knees and feet and use the cross trainer. Make sure you keep changing the intensity or different programs like hill climb etc every week or 2 so you keep pushing yourself.

Once you've lost a bit of weight and are a bit fitter, consider spinning or RPM (same thing virtually) which is a group cycling class. I will warn you the 1st couple of times you do it you WILL hate it, you come out knackered. Stick with it as it gets really addictive and is great for fitness. I leave a 45 minute class with sweat literally pouring off me.
Edited by: "paul1005" 28th Feb 2014
Original Poster
paul1005

The Cross Trainer is excellent for weight loss. Virtually the same energy … The Cross Trainer is excellent for weight loss. Virtually the same energy consumption as running but no impacts. I have bad knees and feet and use the cross trainer. Make sure you keep changing the intensity or different programs like hill climb etc every week or 2 so you keep pushing yourself. Once you've lost a bit of weight and are a bit fitter, consider spinning or RPM (same thing virtually) which is a group cycling class. I will warn you the 1st couple of times you do it you WILL hate it, you come out knackered. Stick with it as it gets really addictive and is great for fitness. I leave a 45 minute class with sweat literally pouring off me.

Yeah that's what it's called Cross Trainer aka Skiiing thing lol. Yeah I'm rather excited at going. Going to use the cross trainer to help lose weight and then ease my way onto treadmill ... fast walking / light jogging. I have knee pains too so can't do too much.

Also thinking of doing an excercise class once a week and see how it goes. I know it's long term results and a lifestyle change ie eating better and exercising more to lose weight. At least will give me more energy which is what I want.
Exercising at 18 stone is a bit much. Get your weight down by not eating so much and exercise
when you are down to 15 stone. Don't bother with protein powder. just eat normally but smaller
meals you like.
Original Poster
What do you guys tend to eat for lunch? I usually have either a tuna mayo sandwich with crisps and drink. But then I get hungry again at 3 and end up buying something else lol. That is where the problem lies.

Are there any healthy alternatives? Pasta? But I don't find pasta filling.
krazyasif786

What do you guys tend to eat for lunch? I usually have either a tuna mayo … What do you guys tend to eat for lunch? I usually have either a tuna mayo sandwich with crisps and drink. But then I get hungry again at 3 and end up buying something else lol. That is where the problem lies.Are there any healthy alternatives? Pasta? But I don't find pasta filling.

I tend not to avoid any particular foods or eat only 'healthy' things when it comes to meals, I just make sure I'm not piling my plate. With regards to hunger at 3pm, I find starting my day with a bowl of porridge stops that from happening. Other than that the only time I'd feel hungry is 9pm, not every day, but when I feel hungry at that time I know I have cut my meal size too far - I have a small bowl of cereal (bran flakes,) a lot of cereals have more sugar than you would expect.
hello again
just thought I'd post my cal burn today as an example of how much one could burn just skipping rope.
Some days I've done 1000cal in an hour .very few sports actually come close to calorific burn when compared to skipping rope

3 sessions today total 2hr 16 min ( usually I also do one in the morn before my clinics)
*lunchbreak 45 min 664 cals
*after work this evening 30 mins fast rope and 1hr+ idyllic rope 1253 cals

lunchbreak skipping session 45 min 664 cals

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3665/12864712323_c36398092e.jpg
split evening session 30 mins fast rope 454 cals
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3776/12864635305_4fe36c5a29.jpg
followed finally by 1hr+ idyllic skipping 799cals
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2839/12865058304_c38f38995c.jpg
I plan to do my usual sunday early morn ride around London tomorrow
I usually put away about 2500 cals doing a 34 mile circuit
Original Poster
I went to the gym today. I did the cycle the one where your feet are in frot of you. Did that for 25 minutes at burned 200 calories and then did a brisk walk on the treadmill for 15 minutes and burned 100 calories.

I know not major but it's a start. Better taking it slow and easy than burn out and get bored etc.

Going to do this again and then incorporate the cross trainer 15 minutes of that too. Then go from there.
krazyasif786

I went to the gym today. I did the cycle the one where your feet are in … I went to the gym today. I did the cycle the one where your feet are in frot of you. Did that for 25 minutes at burned 200 calories and then did a brisk walk on the treadmill for 15 minutes and burned 100 calories.I know not major but it's a start. Better taking it slow and easy than burn out and get bored etc.Going to do this again and then incorporate the cross trainer 15 minutes of that too. Then go from there.

good on you pal ..little steps ..all adds up eventually!!
This mornings ride.. went nuts for the first hr , relaxed thereafter put away 2398 cals...
gonna give tomorrow a miss workout-wise to recover and then hit it again Tuesday onward
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7365/12879109215_9b4eb63ef8.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants