loss of radio signal broken Ariel ..... very old radio ....but i love it

Posted 28th Jul
radio been scratchy..... wont work in usual spot in kitchen ..... Ariel broke ..
i have moved it about works in different place .....

very old radio ....but i love it ?? anything i can do to fix problem ....any ideas ..... don't say throw it out ....
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Old metal coat hanger
Ariel in full piece ...not that bit broken ..... its just lifts straight out of radio .....
Can you....post some pictures....of where the....antenna fits in to...the radio?
Haircut_10028/07/2020 09:31

Can you....post some pictures....of where the....antenna fits in to...the …Can you....post some pictures....of where the....antenna fits in to...the radio?

This...it’s possible to remove and replace the aerial, but pics / model would help
Edited by: "Diggsy" 28th Jul
Lot of the old ish units used to have aerials that unscrewed , then it's a very simple swap once finding the correct size

Else maybe it's soldered to the board inside and not so simple if not used to doing such things
Replace the aerial.
By the way OP, I love how your original post perfectly conveyed the sound of a radio cutting out through your somewhat unorthodox use of punctuation.
works fine if i move to different place in kitchen , but then its in the way ...... tnx
41528635-dE2EJ.jpg41528635-Nj91y.jpgAwi love it can't throw it out ...
aw0829/07/2020 20:36

[Image] [Image] Awi love it can't throw it out ...

You need to show us a close up of where the aerial goes in to the radio. It's often very easy to replace the aerial and put a new one in, but is the aerial actually broken though?
Haircut_10029/07/2020 22:30

You need to show us a close up of where the aerial goes in to the radio. …You need to show us a close up of where the aerial goes in to the radio. It's often very easy to replace the aerial and put a new one in, but is the aerial actually broken though?

No Ariel not broken ...... radio signal very scratchy where it has worked for 25yrs & Ariel loose will come out so far but not fully

thank you for any advice , i dont want to throw it out .....
41531251-kkxHD.jpg
41531251-NsOqu.jpg
aw0830/07/2020 07:33

No Ariel not broken ...... radio signal very scratchy where it has …No Ariel not broken ...... radio signal very scratchy where it has worked for 25yrs & Ariel loose will come out so far but not fully thank you for any advice , i dont want to throw it out .....

41531251-QZV2h.jpg
At a guess there is a cable from the board to the base of the actual aerial. That has a loose connection in it. The aerial itself looks fine and seems to be one that is held on with a screw.

All that said, you could try taking the aerial off. Rough up both surfaces lightly with a bit of fine sand paper, then go over them with a soft graphite pencil. It could be as simple as tarnished contact between the aerial halves and a quick clean and retighten, job done.

If not need taken apart and connections checked.
Post a comment
@
    Text