Expired

lost house door key(door is locked)back door

Found 3rd Aug 2014
if i could manage to get door unlocked could i take the lock to a key cutting shop & obtain a set of keys for it? cant afford locksmith(£70 to &80 !) any ideas most welcome,thanks in advance

1. Ask
  2. Door
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Door
11 Comments

Very unlikely that you would be able to get keys to retro fit the lock.
What type of key is required? New barrels for double glazed doors are quite cheap from screwfix ( think i paid 15 quid), bit dearer at b and q. Mortice locks are about 30 quid i think

Yes,I had two keys cut, for £10 in Liverpool a month ago,its was a cylinder style door lock! a good locksmith can do it!

Cheaper to change the levers in the lock than replace the whole thing.

is it a upvc or composite door barrels are easy to fit 5 mins just need the correct size your location i may be able to help for cost

Is it possible that someone has picked up your lost key and could figure out that its for your house e.g. if you dropped it nearby, or it has some identification on it?
If so its better to change the lock, or at least the barrel, for your own security and peace of mind.

Original Poster

thank you to all for advice! its a 5 lever lock ( im a woman so dont know much more info ! is it an easy job to change levers?& how would i know the size please.

some more details required, if it's a upvc door and it's locked i would suggest removing the handles and snapping the cylinder

just youtube how to do it. its quite simple. first u need to open the door. i guess u will need to cut the lock between the door and the frame with an angle grinder. Then remove the handle and pull the square bar out between the handles. then simply unscrew the lock from the side out door and slide the whole lock out. then just take it to a diy shop and buy a replacement and just fit it on as above.
watch this video may give u a good idea. youtube.com/wat…x4k
Edited by: "kash2013" 3rd Aug 2014

annbuddah

thank you to all for advice! its a 5 lever lock ( im a woman so dont know … thank you to all for advice! its a 5 lever lock ( im a woman so dont know much more info ! is it an easy job to change levers?& how would i know the size please.

It's a 5 lever mortice lock? examples in link here - if you know the code on the key it is possible to get keys cut or buy off the shelf

It is also possible for any locksmith (I trained for 6months years ago) to make a key for any lever or barrel lock once the lock is removed but it can be more expensive than just replacing the lock.

It's a case of how you remove the lock (throwbolt/deadbolt) or open the door. A locksmith will do all in a matter of minutes. a competent locksmith will pick the lock - a bad locksmith will force the door jam thereby needing carpentry skills to repair door jam and replace the lock.

To try to do it yourself without expertise might cause more damage. Did you consider your home insurance policy? You have lost your keys

more details

Mortice (lever) locks are generally fitted to wooden door frames
Cylinder (barrel) locks are generally fitted to upvc frames but you can still have a cylinder (barrel) locking mechanism with a throwbolt(deadlock) lock

Edited by: "philphil61" 3rd Aug 2014

The hardest thing will be getting the door open to get the lock out. I think you can forget about getting keys made a new lock will be cheaper. If its like my 5 lever lock I would set about the brass bit that locates in the frame with a hacksaw blade or even a jigsaw held at an angle. Tape newspaper to both sides in case you slip. With the door open dismantle and get another from toolstation. Easy for me to say I know!

Get a lock in B&Q sale tomorrow.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions