Lost phone

Found 29th Sep 2017
Hi,

i have just lost my phone making my way out of the fifa 18 lauch day lol... i have barred the sim&the phone but when i go to my insurance company they ask for a crime reference number which i call the 101 service they are unable to provide me with one and havent done so for 10 years. What do i say to my insurance company?

thanks
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
MR11232 h, 12 m ago

You need it, pop in to your local police station and report it.

But if it is lost, where is the crime ?
28 Comments
MR11232 h, 12 m ago

psychobitchfromhell1 h, 27 m ago

Does your policy cover lost?

Sorry for response, too early lol
Edited by: "MR1123" 29th Sep 2017
Go back to the store as someone may have handed it in
I think they mean the log number, say that to the cops. You get a log number everytime you report anything
I had something similar recently - police pointed me towards reportmyloss.com website.
You can download a certificate of loss which the insurance company should accept.
LeahsMintytoutou22 m ago

I think they mean the log number, say that to the cops. You get a log …I think they mean the log number, say that to the cops. You get a log number everytime you report anything

Shouldnt be wasting the police time on this
snoopy1813 m ago

Shouldnt be wasting the police time on this

Wasting police time??? Are you serious? you call up, you tell them you lost your phone/purse/wallet/keys whatever it may be and they log it. It takes about 3 minutes. That's what your supposed to do. They give you a log number and if the item is found they call you.

I didnt think i would need to say, don't ring 999
32124153-XLfSD.jpg
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 29th Sep 2017
LeahsMintytoutou48 m ago

I think they mean the log number, say that to the cops. You get a log …I think they mean the log number, say that to the cops. You get a log number everytime you report anything

No, they mean a crime reference number. But as stated previously no crime has been committed. The best OP can get (without telling porkies) is a lost property reference number, but that will only be of use if the policy covers loss.
Edited by: "RossD89" 29th Sep 2017
psychobitchfromhell4 h, 54 m ago

if it is lost and then someone picks it up and don't hand it back , that is actually s crime
the problem is probably this.. you've told them it's been stolen as you're not covered for losing your own phone

as it wasn't stolen, you can't get a crime number
dataload51 m ago

the problem is probably this.. you've told them it's been stolen as you're …the problem is probably this.. you've told them it's been stolen as you're not covered for losing your own phoneas it wasn't stolen, you can't get a crime number

But like others have hinted - if the OP has left it behind/lost it and some lowlife has picked it up and it doesn't belong to them and they haven't handed it in then it becomes a crime.

Just put yourself in the shoes of others who cannot for whatever reason afford to pay for premium insurance and cannot afford to pay for replacement. Yes if they go into debt for the latest top end phone without considering top end insurance then they clearly are (in the voice of Judge Rinder) stupid but there are still sensible hard working people who make the best purchase possible to fit their means but still struggle to afford the best protection.
philphil6158 m ago

But like others have hinted - if the OP has left it behind/lost it and …But like others have hinted - if the OP has left it behind/lost it and some lowlife has picked it up and it doesn't belong to them and they haven't handed it in then it becomes a crime.

That's true, but has that actually happened? OP lost the phone, we know this. Anything else you wish to add to that is either conjecture or support for a fraudulent claim.
RossD8925 m ago

That's true, but has that actually happened? OP lost the phone, we know …That's true, but has that actually happened? OP lost the phone, we know this. Anything else you wish to add to that is either conjecture or support for a fraudulent claim.

What we can assume is that it hasn't been handed in, it's been pinched, and therefore a crime has been committed.
OP will have to ring/call in the shop.
chimp14uk6 m ago

What we can assume is that it hasn't been handed in, it's been pinched, …What we can assume is that it hasn't been handed in, it's been pinched, and therefore a crime has been committed.

You can assume that. Doesn't mean that is what has happened though, does it?
RossD891 h, 13 m ago

You can assume that. Doesn't mean that is what has happened though, does …You can assume that. Doesn't mean that is what has happened though, does it?

Unless the phone's playing hide and seek, I think that you can make that assumption.
chimp14uk10 m ago

Unless the phone's playing hide and seek, I think that you can make that …Unless the phone's playing hide and seek, I think that you can make that assumption.

Playing hide and seek? OP openly admitted to losing the phone and that's it. Hasn't said any effort has been made in trying to recover it. Hasn't said there are any suspicions of somebody having taken it. Your whole argument is based on very little actual information and the rest you seem to be making up.

Yes you are free to make any assumption that you like. That doesn't make it a correct assumption though, does it?
RossD893 h, 58 m ago

Playing hide and seek? OP openly admitted to losing the phone and that's …Playing hide and seek? OP openly admitted to losing the phone and that's it. Hasn't said any effort has been made in trying to recover it. Hasn't said there are any suspicions of somebody having taken it. Your whole argument is based on very little actual information and the rest you seem to be making up. Yes you are free to make any assumption that you like. That doesn't make it a correct assumption though, does it?

Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans, it's like talking to a special ed kid.
The OP has lost their phone, right?
Now taking it that the phone isn't playing hide and seek, it has either been found, or it has been handed in.
If the OP gets in touch with the store and the phone hasn't been handed in, it's been taken, and therefore it has become a crime.
Are you not getting it or just being awkward?
I know you're a VIP, but you're having a go for the sake of it.
Edited by: "chimp14uk" 29th Sep 2017
chimp14uk1 h, 50 m ago

Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans, it's like talking to a special ed …Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans, it's like talking to a special ed kid.The OP has lost their phone, right?Now taking it that the phone isn't playing hide and seek, it has either been found, or it has been handed in.If the OP gets in touch with the store and the phone hasn't been handed in, it's been taken, and therefore it has become a crime.Are you not getting it or just being awkward?I know you're a VIP, but you're having a go for the sake of it.

It may suit your assumptions and/or the OPs in that it must be either found or handed in, but theres actually a 3rd option, in that the handset is still lost and theres a possibility, however slim, that it may never been found....therefore no crime has or will be committed......:/
Edited by: "andynicol" 29th Sep 2017
Did you check your usage to see if the phone was in use before you barred the sim/phone, if it hasn't been found and someone finds it they can't contact you or one of your contacts.

I've returned a lost phone before by phoning one of their friends, it's not possible if its unusable.
Edited by: "4Real2016" 29th Sep 2017
andynicol1 h, 56 m ago

It may suit your assumptions and/or the OPs in that it must be either …It may suit your assumptions and/or the OPs in that it must be either found or handed in, but theres actually a 3rd option, in that the handset is still lost and theres a possibility, however slim, that it may never been found....therefore no crime has or will be committed......:/

So you're going for the hide and seek option?
The phone has been lost in-store, and if it hasn't been handed in, some dirty turd has taken it.
You can play the 'however slim' option as much as you want, but you know it's not gonna be the case.
chimp14uk10 h, 18 m ago

So you're going for the hide and seek option?The phone has been lost …So you're going for the hide and seek option?The phone has been lost in-store, and if it hasn't been handed in, some dirty turd has taken it.

And you know for certain that it has been stolen?

Making more assumptions based on nothing but your own imagination...

chimp14uk14 h, 1 m ago

Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans, it's like talking to a special ed kid... …Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans, it's like talking to a special ed kid... Are you not getting it or just being awkward... you're having a go for the sake of it.

The irony....
Edited by: "RossD89" 30th Sep 2017
chimp14uk12 h, 15 m ago

So you're going for the hide and seek option?The phone has been lost …So you're going for the hide and seek option?The phone has been lost in-store, and if it hasn't been handed in, some dirty turd has taken it.You can play the 'however slim' option as much as you want, but you know it's not gonna be the case.

I’m not going for any option.

I’m not making assumptions.

Fact is the phone is in unknown location, therefore it’s classed as ‘lost’ until evidence transpires that someone has possession of said phone, then it’s still classed as lost.

Suits the OP if it’s reported as stolen but as someone earlier has said, that doesn’t make it so.
andynicol7 h, 26 m ago

I’m not going for any option.I’m not making assumptions.Fact is the phone i …I’m not going for any option.I’m not making assumptions.Fact is the phone is in unknown location, therefore it’s classed as ‘lost’ until evidence transpires that someone has possession of said phone, then it’s still classed as lost.Suits the OP if it’s reported as stolen but as someone earlier has said, that doesn’t make it so.

Agree, which is why they cannot ask for a crime reference number, as no crime has been committed yet.
snoopy1830th Sep

Agree, which is why they cannot ask for a crime reference number, as no …Agree, which is why they cannot ask for a crime reference number, as no crime has been committed yet.

I get what you're saying, but we were talking about whether the phone has been handed in, taken by a thief or it is just playing 'hide and seek'
Previous poster has taken the hide and seek out of the equation, so the phone would have been either handed in or robbed.
RossD8930th Sep

And you know for certain that it has been stolen?Making more assumptions …And you know for certain that it has been stolen?Making more assumptions based on nothing but your own imagination...The irony....

Irony? Let us in on your thoughts about my comments.
I bet you've got a hipster beard.
Or a moustache if you're a bird.
Edited by: "chimp14uk" 1st Oct 2017
chimp14uk2 h, 46 m ago

I get what you're saying, but we were talking about whether the phone has …I get what you're saying, but we were talking about whether the phone has been handed in, taken by a thief or it is just playing 'hide and seek'Previous poster has taken the hide and seek out of the equation, so the phone would have been either handed in or robbed.

Am I the 'previous poster' you refer to?

If so, I've not taken anything out of the equation.

Lets look at the hard facts ;

1/ the OP has lost a phone.

Thats it, thats all the facts there are, we don't know what has happened to it, but it surely should be ;

a/ its been found, and kept by an unknown individual.

b/ its been found, and handed in to somewhere (local police station etc)

c/ it hasn't been found, its still lost.

Until further facts transpire then it can only be described as 'c'.

p.s. why do you guess that the OP lost the phone in a store, the OP doesn't state where it was lost.....?
Op isn't interested in any help anyway
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants