Lost wheel nut

Found 14th Jun
Got a puncture & can not find wheel lock nut ☹️ any ideas on what I can do
Community Updates
Ask
24 Comments
Any breakdown cover? Anywhere near you can buy a can of tyre weld?
Original Poster
bp24113 m ago

Any breakdown cover? Anywhere near you can buy a can of tyre weld?

Had to leave car & walk home. No breakdown cover!! Tyre weld?
Option 1. Call the main dealer.
Option 2. Call RAC/AA etc
Option 3. Call around the local tyre shops
Option 4. Drill the lock out (youtube) being careful not to damage the stud
Option 5. Spot weld a bar across the nut and hit with hammer

(Then find locking nut)

Presume you have tried the boot well, centre console, ashtray, pockets, a bag of paperwork (V5 etc) that came with the car and is now filed somewhere
Tyre weld is sort of like expanding foam you put in your tyre to get you out of trouble, some tyre places don't like it but it gets you out of trouble, any supermarket should sell it.
What car?
Original Poster
Wadda43 s ago

What car?

Audi A3
If they are factory wheels you can buy a set of keys for them for about £35. But that won’t help you till morning. If your in a rush ring a mobile mechanic or breakdown company. They may have a master set. Alternatively look round the local area for vag cars with alloys and see if they have the same nuts. There’s only 10 different keys. If not there are loads of ways to get them off shown you YouTube.
Edited by: "Wadda" 14th Jun
Original Poster
Thank you all for your great replies
Im going to go to my Audi garage in the morning where Im hoping they’ve the same nut, fingers crossed!!
Treat your nuts better next time!
Mines in a storage compartment (A3) in the boot behind the driver's side rear lights, you checked there?
Local garage welded a nut onto sons locking nut then undid it with a socket cost him 15 quid
Check under the rear seat as well, that's where the previous owner left ours.
If you get a tight fitting socket and hammer it on then forcefully undo it. After a few goes you will break the locking bit. It should then fall out, getting lodged into your socket.
You can then hammer a slightly smaller socket on again and just undo it.
Usually takes about 10mins per wheel tops. Some seem to come off easier than others.

Thats what i have always done anyway.
bp24112 h, 24 m ago

Just so you know what your looking …Just so you know what your looking forhttps://groceries.asda.com/product/car-maintenance/holts-tyreweld-emergency-puncture-repair-kit/1707857

Thats handy
MonkeysUncle8 h, 12 m ago

If you get a tight fitting socket and hammer it on then forcefully undo …If you get a tight fitting socket and hammer it on then forcefully undo it. After a few goes you will break the locking bit. It should then fall out, getting lodged into your socket.You can then hammer a slightly smaller socket on again and just undo it.Usually takes about 10mins per wheel tops. Some seem to come off easier than others. Thats what i have always done anyway.

I just use the locking bit and don’t lose it 😜🤪 it’s a lot easier....
Look at the pattern. I bought from eBay for my Audi cost £10 delivered in a couple of days. In short term you may have to bite the bullet... Most good tyre shops will have a set of VAG ones.
Edited by: "db129" 15th Jun
Original Poster
Update: My Audi garage were completely useless!! Would not let me borrow one!!! They’ve lost our custom!! Called out a tyre company who were excellent & knowledgable phew....
Niixxxy12 h, 55 m ago

Update: My Audi garage were completely useless!! Would not let me borrow …Update: My Audi garage were completely useless!! Would not let me borrow one!!! They’ve lost our custom!! Called out a tyre company who were excellent & knowledgable phew....

Or they didn’t want to potentially facilitate the theft or prank on a set of alloys. It may also have been the only one that had, resulting in them being stuck without one.

I get where your coming from but ‘loaning’ these days wouldn’t really be expected. What will happen next puncture?
Oneday772 h, 48 m ago

Or they didn’t want to potentially facilitate the theft or prank on a set o …Or they didn’t want to potentially facilitate the theft or prank on a set of alloys. It may also have been the only one that had, resulting in them being stuck without one. I get where your coming from but ‘loaning’ these days wouldn’t really be expected. What will happen next puncture?

I agree there's no way they're loaning out tools. Once you get them off just fit normal oned. Locking wheel nuts are the worst things ever invented
123batman32137 m ago

I agree there's no way they're loaning out tools. Once you get them off …I agree there's no way they're loaning out tools. Once you get them off just fit normal oned. Locking wheel nuts are the worst things ever invented

Spoken like a true alloy thief.
Original Poster
Oneday774 h, 37 m ago

Or they didn’t want to potentially facilitate the theft or prank on a set o …Or they didn’t want to potentially facilitate the theft or prank on a set of alloys. It may also have been the only one that had, resulting in them being stuck without one. I get where your coming from but ‘loaning’ these days wouldn’t really be expected. What will happen next puncture?

I assumed they’d help being they’re the garage we use & certainly know our faces!! Im certain if it was a local independent garage they’d have no problem! Next puncture? Haha Ive not a clue
Original Poster
123batman3211 h, 49 m ago

I agree there's no way they're loaning out tools. Once you get them off …I agree there's no way they're loaning out tools. Once you get them off just fit normal oned. Locking wheel nuts are the worst things ever invented

Agreed they are indeed!
MadeDixonsCry22 h, 29 m ago

Spoken like a true alloy thief.

Lol no garage owner actually. Hours every month looking for the damn things
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants