Groups

Lost your tax credits? You may be able to claim them back...

Editor
    The HMRC has employed nearly 150 staff to help those that have been cut off from their tax credits.

[img]i.imgur.com/MVC…jpg?1[/img]

Concentrix, the US firm which manages the tax credit system in the UK, has come under scrutiny after multiple reports of people being unfairly treated by the company and had credits stopped.

The Treasury has revealed 120 cases since last October where Concentrix did not “fully” meet performance criteria set out in its contract, according to the BBC. However, that number may actually be higher. Concentrix Mums, a Facebook campaign group with 7,300 members have reported hundreds of people have been affected by the errors. Jon Thompson, HMRC’s chief executive, said: “We want to reassure customers who have had their tax credits stopped that we will prioritise their cases, and make sure that they are processed as quickly as possible.

“While it’s right that we ensure that tax credits customers only receive the money to which they’re entitled, it is vital that those customers have a high level of service."

So, what can you do if your tax credits were wrongly withdrawn?

HMRC says that it will prioritise your case and process it as quickly as possible.

If you can provide information to show that you were entitled to tax credits then you will have your money backdated for any period where payments were stopped.

While Concentrix's contract ends in May of next year, HMRC has advised that Concentrix will continue to deal with these cases until then. To appeal, you can either call the number on the decision letter or write to the department that issued your letter and say that you want “mandatory reconsideration”.

You must explain why you think the decision is wrong and have evidence to support this.

This will usually take one month to process, however, the there is no guarantee.

If you’re still unhappy then you can appeal. If you live in England, Scotland or Wales then you can contact the Social Security and Child Support Tribunal and in Northern Ireland, it’s the Appeals Service Northern Ireland.

34 Comments

Banned

When you call them they give you an automated message telling you they are recording you.

If you tell them that you are recording them then they hang up stating it is against the rules for you to record them...

Madness

ridiculous that concentrix can stop the claim for moronic reasons yet hmrc cant start it up again

I have had a letter from concentrix my money has been stopped for four weeks up until now because previous tenants at my previous address still have some information linked to my address therefore they were suggesting I was living with someone. I have had to provide them with a years worth of bank statements utility bills council tax statements and tenancy agreements and have requested a mandatory reconsideration they still have not sorted it and I have been without money now with three young children for four weeks. I called yesterday at 8am and was on hold for an hour and a half for someone to pick up the phone and put it straight down. I then continued to call them over 100 times that day and it was constantly engaged. I finally got through to them this morning for them to tell me that it looks like I'm financially independent (no **** shirlock) but that my things were with the mandatory reconsideration team and I would have to wait for them to assess my case. To cut a long story short they are going to ask that my case become a priority and is looked at asap but there are no guarantees it will be. Until then I don't have a penny and no idea what I'm making the children for dinner. Concentrix are a disgrace!

Yeah they pick up the phone and put it down straight away. You'd think with the millions of pounds they were given they could afford a few extra phones and staff.

My tax creds ave been stopped for nearly 3 months now. I have got 4 children and the youngest is 9 month old. They sent me a.letter asking for info so i sent it in they refused it so ive had t do a mandotory letter they refused that and asked for more info and im still waiting to hear its getting beyond a joke now

It's ridiculous concentrix are putting people in hardship based on a payment for profit scheme and unjustified quality of evidence. It's appalling.

I've bn without 7 weeks now and a mum of three , I've given concentrix all the information they have asked recorded delivery and then keep telling me it's not enough information . It's actually making me ill I just want it sorted and the money I'm intitled too.

Is this the same as child tax credits?

Same here lost my child tax credits 4 weeks ago. Sent everything in and still no response. £64 per week is hell of a lot for me to be without. They said a previous tenant was showing at my address

I've now been 8 weeks without my working tax I sent all wage slips requested to wait 4 weeks to then be told they needed a letter frim my employer to tell them how many hours I worked, HELLO my wage slips state this another 4 weeks later I'm still waiting in major debt!! Concentrix what a joke!!

I've been waiting now for 6 weeks.
    I renewed my tax credits via the telephone with concentrix. There was apparently a computer error. And my credits were stopped. Now they are still deciding whether I should have them or not even though when I rang them two weeks ago it was in the renewal process. Meanwhile I'm getting letters from hmrc saying I owe them £992. Concentrix say ignore this. Hmrc say it's because my credits were not renewed on time. That because concentrix mucked it up.
    It takes me around 90 call backs to get into their call centre then around 30 minutes on hold. Only to be told it shouldn't have taken this long. (No sh*t Sherlock ) I'm currently 300 pounds down. I'm self employed and work is slow specially this time of year. And I'm living on less than £10 per week mostly borrowed from friends. My ibs is unstable as much as I try to smile and hope things will be sorted soon I am running to the toilet several times a day because stress is a main factor of ibs.
    I'd pull my hair out if I had any so I've settled for banging my head repeatedly against a hard wall instead.
    Gotta laugh or I'm going to cry.

myself and 4 boys have also been affected by this complete farce, 7 weeks now with no child tax payments due to go on holiday on Saturday and think I am going to have to cancel as I am in such a dreadful financial position they stop your money but not the bills coming in! I have also been told this is because of a previous tenant who lived at my old address before! this is completely scandalous and u think the government need to step up and help all these poor family's in this horrendous mess!!!!

I have also been affected had my tax credits stop in august and can never get a straight answer from neither concentrix or hmrc!

My tax credits was stopped 5 wks ago and they told me it was cos of the renewal forms. Pack of lies i found out 2 days ago its cos of concentrix saying that theres other people living at my address, or should i say old address which i left over a year ago. Hmrc knows all my details so can't work out why this has flagged up, rang back today to be told if i win my case all the money will be back dated but split and put on my payments, absolute joke as i have now rent arrears to pay. Told them i want to make an official complaint as this is their mistake not mine to be told someone will ring me by the 6th october to do thus. Foaming.

I have 3 children and have been without my tax credits for over 6 wks, my case has currently been with the mandatory reconsideration team for 3 weeks, I call them most days only to be on hold for an hour and then them tell me they can't tell me anything new, I am getting further into debt and had to ask family & friends to buy my children's school uniform and other necessities, I cannot afford to pay my youngest child's nursery so will probably end up having to leave work and go back onto unemployment benefits which will not benefit myself or the tax payer, I really don't understand how HMRC let things with concentrix get this bad. It's appalling.

Our working tax has been stopped and over 100 pound of child tax to pay the working tax bk we have claimed working tax for years and partners hours have always been same if he's done over time they no as they get all the info at the end of the year I rang these tools to see what was going on they said they need wage slips so sent 18 pay slips and his p60 stating the hours he does now they saying for a family of 6 mind that we ain't aloud to claim working tax as partner only works 20 hours and he needs to work 24 or we both have work 16 each yet tax credits have known his hours for years now we have pay them bk over 5 grand and how are we paying it bk yes from our child tax credits over 100 pound absolute joke they are were r struggling all cos of these muppets!

Edited by: "mccann33" 15th Sep 2016

Banned

kirstie2806

Same here lost my child tax credits 4 weeks ago. Sent everything in and … Same here lost my child tax credits 4 weeks ago. Sent everything in and still no response. £64 per week is hell of a lot for me to be without. They said a previous tenant was showing at my address

Did you supply the updated info required earlier on in the year?
    Edited by: "cchopps" 15th Sep 2016

Said they had sent me a letter requesting this but I had never received anything just a letter telling me they had stopped until further investigations

Ive had mine stopped now for 3 weeks tell me some other adult living in my address I've actually been homeless living in temp accommodation for the last 3 months due to house fire I'm a single mum off 2 and my daughter is disabled made over two hundred phone calls to them today and on hold for over 50 mins and still got no where I've had all papers they asked for sent recorded delivery and they said they can't find it

They stopped my payments on 10th August .I rang HMRC and they said Concentrix was dealing with it.So rang them and sent in 1yrs bank statements 1 yr bills to prove I'm living on my own.They said they sent me a letter to say that my payments would be stopped but I never received one.So I've gone into mandatory reconsidration and was told it could take 6- 8 wks but I'm not holding my breath. If it wasn't for my friend lending me some money I dread to think what situation I would be in now .Also I tried to get free school meals for my daughter but as im not in receipt of ctc as it's been stopped Im not entitled to that either.I phoned the hmrc this week to see what's going on and basically even they said Concentrix was crap .

6 weeks now I have been with out ny child or working tax credits it seems the people who work for concentric are highly uneducated leaving innocent people without money, this should be against our human rights to go so long without money, yes 150 hmrc staff are going in but please we need a time frame, not lied to

They stopped my WTC as they apparently linked someone else at my address - as I am the only tenant from new it could only be my ex husband who hasn't lived there in 12 years! They insisted on original tenancy agreements, 12 months bank statements, utility bills etc, a dna sample and a letter from Amy Winehouse. When I rang them up to ask what would a bank statement prove he jumped down my throat asking what I had to hide...I told him I can easily prove who DOES live in my house but it's nigh on impossible to prove who doesn't live there. For instance, I live there with my two kids and can prove that by the electoral roll, doctors letters etc but I can't easily prove that Ant n Dec DON'T live there - it's pretty hard to prove a bloody negative. They assessed my case, examined all the supporting docs and returned my WTC to me 4 weeks later. Gob******.
    Edited by moderator: "Sep 15, 2016 16:14" 15th Sep 2016

Banned

This website might be useful
    Edited by: "cchopps" 15th Sep 2016

Original Poster Editor

Some pretty awful situations being posted. I hope everyone can get something sorted quickly. Please let everyone on thread know should you make any in-roads/progress in your appeals.

cchopps

This website might be useful

Thanks for the link. Looks like a nice structured way to help anyone follow the appeals process. The copyright notice at bottom of site only extends to 2014, so unsure if there are any changes in the process, that the site would reflect them. Still, a valuable resource so thanks again

Victoria19

I have had a letter from concentrix my money has been stopped for four … I have had a letter from concentrix my money has been stopped for four weeks up until now because previous tenants at my previous address still have some information linked to my address therefore they were suggesting I was living with someone. I have had to provide them with a years worth of bank statements utility bills council tax statements and tenancy agreements and have requested a mandatory reconsideration they still have not sorted it and I have been without money now with three young children for four weeks. I called yesterday at 8am and was on hold for an hour and a half for someone to pick up the phone and put it straight down. I then continued to call them over 100 times that day and it was constantly engaged. I finally got through to them this morning for them to tell me that it looks like I'm financially independent (no **** shirlock) but that my things were with the mandatory reconsideration team and I would have to wait for them to assess my case. To cut a long story short they are going to ask that my case become a priority and is looked at asap but there are no guarantees it will be. Until then I don't have a penny and no idea what I'm making the children for dinner. Concentrix are a disgrace!

You could contact your local food bank, I'm sure they will be able to help in the short term until your tax credits are returned :-)

I had mine stopped I provided everything they asked for and they still denied it making me pay money back, would there be any point in me arguing this?

I spoke to someone in the job centre today she said can't believe how many people this is happening to and consentrix get a bonus for each payment they stop or reduce. She advised contacting local MP

A lot have been affected by this past few months, i had been told about two years ago they made an over payment even though i spent 9 months that year going back and fourth because they kept sending me papers with incorrect details after finally having them fixed. I got a bill to say they over paid me! I then got the call recordings wrote down all the dates I provided the correct information against all the wrong details they sent me in the post! To finally some pathetic gcse failed dude to reply back saying they had over paid me!
    Got so damn fed up I decided to repay £20 a month to which the dude said that will take you 20 years to repay- do i give a damn, was my next question!
    Two years on and i am still paying it off and no one ready to listen to me!

I haven't had mine stopped but they are looking in to my childcare! Had everything since June. Still not heard. I was meant to be back at work after maternity leave but because concentrix still haven't sorted out my case my childminder won't have my baby until I pay £424 so I'm now on annual leave which I was saving for Christmas. I've rand tax credits and they can't change anything until my case is closed!! I'm fed up of trying to ring concentrix as its constantly engadged xx

We had our WTC stopped and told we have been over paid, but get this they got the figures of annual income from employer, so how could we have given them wrong information. Well so I was told I had given them wrong information but have never done so and never received an apology. wasn't even told payment was stopping till I rang to be told this. They are making so much mastakes is scary!

Firstly it's nice to know I'm not alone. On a serious note though. We had our money stopped about 7 weeks ago so phoned to enquire as to why to be told I should have had a letter and I hadn't, so sent off what they wanted and I guess I was a lucky one as it was sorted 4 weeks later however now it just about covers the school dinners! It's an absolute joke, was promised 2 days and they didn't stick to that. In the middle of all this we held a party to celebrate our anniversary and some of that is still to be paid as just not got the money to pay it, basically this means I'm going to have to get a 2nd job to keep us afloat and that will mess up next years payments ( great ) and more importantly I won't get to see my children! It's an absolute joke of a system. As someone said earlier as well they don't back date either they spread it out, now what good is that when you owe money out! Stupid bunch of clueless knobs of you ask me!!

Wow just Wow... hope you all get sorted asap.. awful reading

I had my working taxs and child taxa child stopped. I live of 3.03p week plus child benefit, yes get wage end of month, still not point I sent proof of child care, every time I rung, same sorry story as always, not received. So I made complaint with hmrc. Just got wait now. Glad getting rid of this concentric.
    Edited by: "Debbey33" 16th Sep 2016

Last year my partner earned twenty eight thousand pound so we wasn't entitled to working tax but got £164 child tax & my £48.10 child benefit, this year his earnings to April were just under fourteen thousand & they drop my child tax to £85 and give me £19.50 working tax oh n I apparently owe them three thousand pound that's why my child tax has gone down for me to pay em back. Like many of you I'm in arrears with my bills n my bank for missed payment charges, its really getting me down just feel like there no help for us.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047148
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767372
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2464
      4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)62482

See more discussions