Love thy neighbour - Or it could be costly

34 Comments

Shouldn't have built on their land.
Simple.

Original Poster

teh.arn7 m ago

Shouldn't have built on their land.Simple.

Yeah but the builders of the extension won the case
Edited by: "OllieSt" 20th Dec 2017

OllieSt14 m ago

Damn, I read it as the other way around.Sucks to be them.
I suspect there's a lot more to the case than The Sun is letting on.

OllieSt18 m ago

Exactly, why didn't they check that they were right before starting the whole costly court case

teh.arn3 m ago

Damn, I read it as the other way around.Sucks to be them.I suspect there's …Damn, I read it as the other way around.Sucks to be them.I suspect there's a lot more to the case than The Sun is letting on.

I suspect there is a lot more to every story than what the sun lets on.

CoeK3 m ago

I suspect there is a lot more to every story than what the sun lets on.

Or in most cases, a lot less than what The Sun actually chooses to publish!

Dyslexic_Dog2 m ago

Or in most cases, a lot less than what The Sun actually chooses to publish!

I heard it wasn't Essex but Kent ... These sort of lies make me furious.

davewave2 m ago

Most things appear to make you furious, are an angry old man?

Quotes link from The Sun.

Expects to be taken seriously. wut

davewave12 m ago

Maybe you should march about it.

They should have accepted the court ruling in 2012, they have no one to blame but themselves.

CoeK1 h, 15 m ago

Exactly, why didn't they check that they were right before starting the …Exactly, why didn't they check that they were right before starting the whole costly court case

That's lawyers/legal teams for you.
They are there to make money and will offer "their best advice" based on the law and what they think but there's never, ever any guarantee.

I'm guessing their legal team thought they had a straight forward case. The Ali's played dirty and won - who gets an extension approved and built whilst their neighbour is away. (How long was the Constantine's holiday?)

philphil612 m ago

That's lawyers/legal teams for you.They are there to make money and will …That's lawyers/legal teams for you.They are there to make money and will offer "their best advice" based on the law and what they think but there's never, ever any guarantee.I'm guessing their legal team thought they had a straight forward case. The Ali's played dirty and won - who gets an extension approved and built whilst their neighbour is away. (How long was the Constantine's holiday?)

How do we know the Ali's played dirty and won?

They lost and continued to carry on for 8 years without knowing if they'd even have the money?

I don't see enough info to come to anything else and its misleading the house needs to be sold to cover the costs of the farce and that will have about 450k from it to buy something else, even in London they can find a house for that, i assume as there kids are grown up its just the couple living there.

OllieSt5 m ago

Come on. For some things they're excellent

Do they have a problem page?

OllieSt22 m ago

Come on. For some things they're excellent

Nope they don’t even have a page 3 anymore....

The house is for payment of legal fees for the legal case for a principleand is not for the 3" of land.

I need to refresh my knowledge on the rules for award of litigation fees of the other side when you lose your legal case.

Without doing this checking on the rules, it was, in general, if you took your case vexatiously (or with malice), rather than making an effort to settle out of court through negotiation, and taking into account of the specific physical and other circumstances, then you are liable to pay the litigation costs of the other side.

So the £600,000 was the litigation costs. Without knowing better the specifics of this case, say the Ali's had offered £50,000 for that 3" of land and that 3" of land had some material impact on the Constantines but £50,000 should a reasonable amount by surveyors etc.. Then by taking the legal case vexatiously, this is the consequence for this behaviour (and is not because of the 3" of land per se as a land/property value).
Edited by: "splender" 20th Dec 2017

cmdr_elito2 m ago

Nope they don’t even have a page 3 anymore....

They just go straight from 2 to 4?

philphil6141 m ago

That's lawyers/legal teams for you.They are there to make money and will …That's lawyers/legal teams for you.They are there to make money and will offer "their best advice" based on the law and what they think but there's never, ever any guarantee.I'm guessing their legal team thought they had a straight forward case. The Ali's played dirty and won - who gets an extension approved and built whilst their neighbour is away. (How long was the Constantine's holiday?)

May be the Constantine's lawyers' advice was to negotiate out of court? A lawyer would be daft to take on a case without checking the client's ability to pay and can pay with documentary evidence.

8 year dispute with a neighbour is the worst kind of problem

They could have handled this quickly by getting an independent quantity surveyor to spend 5 mins of his time and talk it over with the neighbour.

Even if true, this will never stick.
Give them your house?

Benjamin3uk7 m ago

8 year dispute with a neighbour is the worst kind of problemThey could …8 year dispute with a neighbour is the worst kind of problemThey could have handled this quickly by getting an independent quantity surveyor to spend 5 mins of his time and talk it over with the neighbour.

I wouldn't say 5 mins, possibly a person day's work for one or more pros for £2000-£4000.
Edited by: "splender" 20th Dec 2017

deeky7 m ago

Even if true, this will never stick. Give them your house?

Sounds like this is after the appeal, on the bright side they get the difference between the house price and the legal expenses

CoeK14 m ago

Sounds like this is after the appeal, on the bright side they get the …Sounds like this is after the appeal, on the bright side they get the difference between the house price and the legal expenses

But don't you get about 3,168 appeals on everything now?

deeky5 m ago

Only if you can afford it, sounds like they can't

Dyslexic_Dog2 h, 24 m ago

Most things appear to make you furious, are an angry old man?

It was a joke, do you always misunderstand people?

davewave6 m ago

It was a joke, do you always misunderstand people?

Well to be fair he is Dyslexic, and a dog who aren't great readers even without the dyslexia.

CoeK7 m ago

Well to be fair he is Dyslexic, and a dog who aren't great readers even …Well to be fair he is Dyslexic, and a dog who aren't great readers even without the dyslexia.

Stop generalising

32837660-YuR83.jpg

deeky28 m ago

3,169 to be exact..

deeky39 m ago

Stop generalising [Image]

I'm going to buy my dog glasses for christmas now, will go with his yappy christmas bandana...

CoeK2 h, 25 m ago

They just go straight from 2 to 4?

Might as well 🤣 😜

It's sad that it looks like the people who took a chance won.
Is it just me, or does the encroaching house look like it clearly extends beyond the garden fence by about 3 inches?

Headline on the sun and other media outlets says they have to give the £600,000 to the neighbours but that’s not the case they need to pay the legal fees of the neighbour and get to keep the rest. Whichever way you look at it they have legal fees to pay, gave no cash and the only asset is ther house, though not paid for so have to sell it. Probably wouldn’t have made the Lakers if it wasn’t around Christmas time.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants