Lovefilm are threatening to take a friend to court

Banned 36 replies
Found 8th Nov 2009
Just got an email from a friend who had a letter on Thursday from lovefilm.com demanding that he repay them for 'free 90-day trials' that he fraudulently obtained.

Apparently they accused him of knowingly changing his address 3 times after his genuine trial. He's said that he'll repay them and they called off the dogs.

It's a bit strange though because he actually started paying legitimately on their highest tariff and has told them that he's cancelling now.

Seems a bit stupid on their part. Anyone had any experience of this and if they'll maybe agree to let him off if he stays as a member?

Cheers.

1. Misc
  2. Lovefilm
36 Comments

Shouldn't be commiting fraud then should he.

I'm ashamed that you are friends with a fraudster!

There are plenty of "fraudsters" on here doing the same trick to keep the free trials going.

Banned

Hopefully they sue his ass.

I'm surprised you associate with this sort of person.

Original Poster Banned

t0mm;6818911

I'm ashamed that you are friends with a fraudster!

guv;6818940

I'm surprised you associate with this sort of person.

I think you two should be friends:friends:

t0mm;6818911

Shouldn't be commiting fraud then should he.

Not sure someone who downloads films and games illegaly can take the moral high ground lol :-D

Original Poster Banned

pinkleponkle;6818936

There are plenty of "fraudsters" on here doing the same trick to keep the … There are plenty of "fraudsters" on here doing the same trick to keep the free trials going.

I wonder if any of them have received letters of intent.

"Seems a bit stupid on their part."
Damn them for threatening someone that is scamming them!

Original Poster Banned

electriclinux;6819100

"Seems a bit stupid on their part."Damn them for threatening someone that … "Seems a bit stupid on their part."Damn them for threatening someone that is scamming them!

I agree with their actions, my friend was wrong in doing so and it's very unlike them.

I just think that lovefilm are being a bit short-sighted in losing a customer who may make them more money long-term.

It's his own fault.

FilthAndFurry;6819136

I agree with their actions, my friend was wrong in doing so and it's very … I agree with their actions, my friend was wrong in doing so and it's very unlike them.I just think that lovefilm are being a bit short-sighted in losing a customer who may make them more money long-term.It's his own fault.

Before this time he wasn't a customer just a scammer. If he offered to repay the costs and continue with a paid subscription and they said no it would be foolish.

your friend is an idiot, hopefully they will take him to court

FilthAndFurry;6819136

I agree with their actions, my friend was wrong in doing so and it's very … I agree with their actions, my friend was wrong in doing so and it's very unlike them.I just think that lovefilm are being a bit short-sighted in losing a customer who may make them more money long-term.It's his own fault.

make more money long term? has he ever actually paid them a penny? sound slike he's been getting free 90 day trials and he's been found out, what else should they do apart from take him to court

How much are they making you pay them then?

'friend' - yeah, right...:lol:

Original Poster Banned

souljacker;6819315

make more money long term? has he ever actually paid them a penny? sound … make more money long term? has he ever actually paid them a penny? sound slike he's been getting free 90 day trials and he's been found out, what else should they do apart from take him to court

Again, I agree with you. They're within their rights to do so and my friend was stupid.

But I think it's been about 4 months since he last used a free trial and he's been a paid-up member since.

Original Poster Banned

harlzter;6819324

How much are they making you pay them then?

Not me - but I believe it's the price of the package that he was on whilst he was using them.

FilthAndFurry;6819334

Again, I agree with you. They're within their rights to do so and my … Again, I agree with you. They're within their rights to do so and my friend was stupid.But I think it's been about 4 months since he last used a free trial and he's been a paid-up member since.

Guess it all depends on how many of these trials he used. If he changed his address 3 times and used to 90 day trial each time, then thats 9 months he's not paid, so maybe they're looking at it from that perspective and have sent this letter out to a number of people. If they've sent it to loads of people and each one owe them in the region of £150ish, I guess it all adds up. So maybe that's how they're looking at it, rather than hoping people start paying for the service over a long period of time.

serioulsy, what a bunch of do gooders, like no one here has ever scammed anything, sainthood beckons

missypoopie;6819622

serioulsy, what a bunch of do gooders, like no one here has ever scammed … serioulsy, what a bunch of do gooders, like no one here has ever scammed anything, sainthood beckons

(In a Jonny Depp voice) - welcome to HUKD love

missypoopie;6819622

serioulsy, what a bunch of do gooders, like no one here has ever scammed … serioulsy, what a bunch of do gooders, like no one here has ever scammed anything, sainthood beckons

It's more to do with the saintly person who started the thread :whistling:

Original Poster Banned

missypoopie;6819622

Is it the 'doing' or the 'good' you have a problem with exactly?

He basically obtained a service through deception. Don't think he can really argue with it.:?

FilthAndFurry;6819781

Is it the 'doing' or the 'good' you have a problem with exactly?He … Is it the 'doing' or the 'good' you have a problem with exactly?He basically obtained a service through deception. Don't think he can really argue with it.:?

oh wise up

Evil_monkey;6819729

(In a Jonny Depp voice) - welcome to HUKD love

lol

Original Poster Banned

missypoopie;6820022

oh wise up

To what exactly?

FilthAndFurry;6820077

To what exactly?

you are on a site that encourages people getting money off, you can hardly take the moral high ground

Original Poster Banned

missypoopie;6820130

you are on a site that encourages people getting money off, you can … you are on a site that encourages people getting money off, you can hardly take the moral high ground

Some people:roll:

Do I need to explain the difference between defrauding a company, and looking for a cheaper price for something?

FilthAndFurry;6820149

Some people:roll:Do I need to explain the difference between defrauding a … Some people:roll:Do I need to explain the difference between defrauding a company, and looking for a cheaper price for something?

no you dont, but tbh I have never used lovefilm and dont have a clue what the person did wrong but I think that your all being a bit harsh, seeing as it was the "friend" that did it :thinking:

Sloth/Mod

If this thread was started by one of the cliquey members then all their followers etc would be out saying it's a disgrace.

Mentality of HUKD = :lol:

I actually agree with F & F that it's short sighted- they're better off going after people who didn't sign up to be members than the ones who did but will now cancel their membership!

anyway using a code that wasnt meant for you is fraud is it not?

Banned

missypoopie;6820277

anyway using a code that wasnt meant for you is fraud is it not?

tell that to all the people using the littlewoods / very / marshall ward / additions codes etc :-D

Original Poster Banned

csiman;6820404

tell that to all the people using the littlewoods / very / marshall ward … tell that to all the people using the littlewoods / very / marshall ward / additions codes etc :-D

They tend to get voted cold though don't they?

I though these companies had cottoned on - maybe lovefilm have done the same.

Banned

FilthAndFurry;6820417

They tend to get voted cold though don't they?I though these companies … They tend to get voted cold though don't they?I though these companies had cottoned on - maybe lovefilm have done the same.

still doesnt stop loads of people using the codes and then whinging when they get charged the voucher discount back again 6 months later :thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

csiman;6820555

still doesnt stop loads of people using the codes and then whinging when … still doesnt stop loads of people using the codes and then whinging when they get charged the voucher discount back again 6 months later :thumbsup:

Seems to be what lovefilm are doing - fair play to them:thumbsup:

csiman;6820555

still doesnt stop loads of people using the codes and then whinging when … still doesnt stop loads of people using the codes and then whinging when they get charged the voucher discount back again 6 months later :thumbsup:

except pretty much everyone that does use them don't get charged back and the few that say they have never post evidence.

well a code is a code, why not

Banned

pinkleponkle;6821354

except pretty much everyone that does use them don't get charged back and … except pretty much everyone that does use them don't get charged back and the few that say they have never post evidence.

a few? loads of people over the years state they have been recharged :thinking:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Google maps on Plusnet45
    2. Is this expensive?917
    3. £300 for a XZ1 Compact Worth Keeping or return56
    4. I posted a deal that has been removed612

See more discussions