Found 14th Mar
Hi all, I'm saving to have a gardener come and give my garden a bit of an overhaul. I'm thinking of having a raised bed at the end of the garden (I'm not an avid gardener but like pottering about in the garden a bit). What are my options? I don't want a wooden one as I find any wood in contact with soil needs very regular treatments. I have tried Google searches but don't really know what I'm looking for. Budget - £200 ish.

1. Ask
  2. Bed
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Bed
11 Comments

Scaffold boards are great and long lasting as they are treated. I know you want to stay away from wood but I find they have about a ten year life once on the ground

Depending on the competence of the gardener you can mount paving slabs vertically, and then bolt though and secure with a galvanised bar along rear. Low cost and long lasting. Just make sure the bolts are marine grade if possible.

I have seen recycled plastic ones that look like sleepers. RHS use them at Harlow Carr in harrogate so they must be quite good and low maintenance. Can't remember who made them but sure Google can help there

sophieb1986

Scaffold boards are great and long lasting as they are treated. I know … Scaffold boards are great and long lasting as they are treated. I know you want to stay away from wood but I find they have about a ten year life once on the ground

I made mine about 5 years ago with scaffold boards, no rot as yet. Simple enough to do & costs hardly anything.
To add: you could always line it with thick plastic lining, the boards should last forever then.
Edited by: "OldEnglish" 14th Mar

this is low maintenace, don't even need cement stick them together
each block cost £1 to £2 depend where you get them

improvisedlife.com/cms…jpg

ho5dow

this is low maintenace, don't even need cement stick them togethereach … this is low maintenace, don't even need cement stick them togethereach block cost £1 to £2 depend where you get themhttp://www.improvisedlife.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/concrete-block-raised-bed.jpg

Interesting... Any ideas on what you could use instead of concrete to stick them? Just so they don't move more than anything. Would some of the 'sticks like sh*t' stuff work?

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the replies. I want something that's semi-attractive as I want to sell the house in a few years, so that pretty much rules out scaffolding boards and breeze blocks! I was thinking something more like this, but obviously not in the quantities Wickes are selling as I only want a relatively small but significantly raised bed as I can't bend over!

wickes.co.uk/Pro…asc

most construction adhesive will work.

ipswich78

Interesting... Any ideas on what you could use instead of concrete to … Interesting... Any ideas on what you could use instead of concrete to stick them? Just so they don't move more than anything. Would some of the 'sticks like sh*t' stuff work?

squiff

Thanks everyone for the replies. I want something that's semi-attractive … Thanks everyone for the replies. I want something that's semi-attractive as I want to sell the house in a few years, so that pretty much rules out scaffolding boards and breeze blocks! I was thinking something more like this, but obviously not in the quantities Wickes are selling as I only want a relatively small but significantly raised bed as I can't bend over! http://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Gardens/Paving+Walling/Walling/c/1000716?q=%3Aprice-asc

Whatever you do hurry up. When we have to build a wall on top of Hadrians puny effort, stone will rocket in price.

ho5dow

most construction adhesive will work.

Thanks. I might give that a go.

ipswich78

Thanks. I might give that a go.

I bet Gripfill would do the job.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Skateboarding advice (beginner) 25/yo218
    2. Computer upgrades55