Low sodium Beef Jerky?

Found 5th Apr
what's your recommendation for low sodium Beef jerky, some of the popular varieties are very high in salt...can any helpful HUKDers recommend a tasty low sodium variety?
Community Updates
AskGroceriesBeef
12 Comments
Correct me if I'm wrong.... you've been told by a doctor that you either have high blood pressure or kidney disease.
to answer your question.... there is not readily available low sodium beef jerky. Salt is the main preservative in dried/cured meats. The only way is to make your own.
Soak it in water overnight?
Original Poster
mattsk52 m ago

Correct me if I'm wrong.... you've been told by a doctor that you either …Correct me if I'm wrong.... you've been told by a doctor that you either have high blood pressure or kidney disease. to answer your question.... there is not readily available low sodium beef jerky. Salt is the main preservative in dried/cured meats. The only way is to make your own.

Your assumption is wrong, I eat beef jerky to increase my protein as I gym a lot, the varieties I have bought rank very high for sodium when I log my diet.
davewave8 m ago

Your assumption is wrong, I eat beef jerky to increase my protein as I gym …Your assumption is wrong, I eat beef jerky to increase my protein as I gym a lot, the varieties I have bought rank very high for sodium when I log my diet.

why dont you have eggs or milk. healthier and cheaper
Original Poster
mattsk5 m ago

why dont you have eggs or milk. healthier and cheaper

I do have eggs and milk, however need more protein so use beef jerky to boost my intake.
Go find your local South African shop and bus some fresh biltong..

google.co.uk/sea…701
davewave7 m ago

I do have eggs and milk, however need more protein so use beef jerky to …I do have eggs and milk, however need more protein so use beef jerky to boost my intake.

no you dont need more protein. average gym goer at most requires 1.4g/kg. Dont fall into a fad of supplement marketing tactics. An athlete (someone you see eg. at the Olympics) has around 1.6-2g
so if you weight 90kg thats ~130g of protein per day. average joe in the uk consumes 80-90g just from normal daily foods (a chicken breast is around 50-60g)
Edited by: "mattsk" 5th Apr
Make your own then you can use as much or as little salt as you please, sounds a really obvious answer to me.
Original Poster
mattsk2 h, 41 m ago

no you dont need more protein. average gym goer at most requires 1.4g/kg. …no you dont need more protein. average gym goer at most requires 1.4g/kg. Dont fall into a fad of supplement marketing tactics. An athlete (someone you see eg. at the Olympics) has around 1.6-2gso if you weight 90kg thats ~130g of protein per day. average joe in the uk consumes 80-90g just from normal daily foods (a chicken breast is around 50-60g)

I spend 2-3 hrs per day, 6 days per week in the gym, spin, weights and cardio so I think my protein requirement is a little higher than average. Thanks for your advice particularly on chicken breast. It's interesting to hear about studies on runners finding low fat choc milk is a decent post gym drink...

In fact, chocolate milk is an ideal post-exercise drink, nutritionist Azmina Govindji says.

She says chocolate milk’s protein content and carbohydrate from natural and added sugars will refuel muscle glycogen stores.

Two University of Connecticut studies showed that runners who had 450ml of low-fat chocolate milk after a 45 minute run had better muscle protein repair and glycogen levels than those who had a calorie-matched carbohydrate-only drink
Edited by: "davewave" 5th Apr
davewave23 m ago

I spend 2-3 hrs per day, 6 days per week in the gym, spin, weights and …I spend 2-3 hrs per day, 6 days per week in the gym, spin, weights and cardio so I think my protein requirement is a little higher than average. Thanks for your advice particularly on chicken breast. It's interesting to hear about studies on runners finding low fat choc milk is a decent post gym drink...In fact, chocolate milk is an ideal post-exercise drink, nutritionist Azmina Govindji says.She says chocolate milk’s protein content and carbohydrate from natural and added sugars will refuel muscle glycogen stores.Two University of Connecticut studies showed that runners who had 450ml of low-fat chocolate milk after a 45 minute run had better muscle protein repair and glycogen levels than those who had a calorie-matched carbohydrate-only drink

you dont need protein, you need carbs especially after cardio

To increase muscle mass in combination with physical activity, it is recommended that a person that lifts weights regularly or is training for a running or cycling event eat a range of 1.2-1.7 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day, or 0.5 to 0.8 grams per pound of body weight. Consequently, the same 75 kilogram individual should increase their protein intake to 75 grams (300 calories) to 128 grams (512 calories) in order to gain muscle mass. This level of intake can generally be met through diet alone and without additional protein and amino acid supplementation.

nutrition.org.uk/hea…t=2

also good reads:
hammernutrition.com/kno…in/

todaysdietitian.com/new…tml

sportsdietitians.com.au/fac…ts/ - they are the best in the field when it comes to sports nutrition
Original Poster
mattsk1 m ago

you dont need protein, you need carbs especially after cardioTo increase …you dont need protein, you need carbs especially after cardioTo increase muscle mass in combination with physical activity, it is recommended that a person that lifts weights regularly or is training for a running or cycling event eat a range of 1.2-1.7 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day, or 0.5 to 0.8 grams per pound of body weight. Consequently, the same 75 kilogram individual should increase their protein intake to 75 grams (300 calories) to 128 grams (512 calories) in order to gain muscle mass. This level of intake can generally be met through diet alone and without additional protein and amino acid supplementation. https://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/an-active-lifestyle/eating-for-sport-and-exercise.html?limit=1&start=2also good reads:https://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/endurance-library/how-much-protein/#sixhttp://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/060114p22.shtmlhttps://www.sportsdietitians.com.au/factsheets/ - they are the best in the field when it comes to sports nutrition

Really appreciate your links and advice, very helpful indeed.
+1 for biltong here. Doesn't have as much sugar as jerky too.
(Plus it's just soooooo goooood!)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants