Groups

lowering cholesterol

any tips please, have googled, know all the basics, but wondered if anyone has any tasty alternatives to the foods that are now on the naughty list?

i read nuts are good, and also help lower it as they contain UNsaturated fat but then read another site that said diff ?

also is macaroni ok? (without cheese lol) as i thought it was a kind of pasta which i read was ok, but again a site says otherwise?

in particular does anyone know any tasy sauce recipes for macaroni that dont involve cheese??

thank you xx

49 Comments

How is that a HOT UK DEAL? Why don't you ask your Dr?

Original Poster

mlakhi;6859274

think my doctor is too busy to write me recipes :-D

eggs, free range are better.

walking/exercise helps.

soy

is macaroni fine?

yes.

Original Poster

black gerbil1;6859315

eggs, free range are better.walking/exercise helps.soy

eggs are high in cholesteral, BG1 giving wrong nutritional advice, who'd have thought it :roll:

loupomm;6859331

eggs are high in cholesteral, BG1 giving wrong nutritional advice, who'd … eggs are high in cholesteral, BG1 giving wrong nutritional advice, who'd have thought it :roll:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm
    ;-)

i have a more recent link, ill try and find it if I can.

edit: news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

black gerbil1;6859339

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/820021.stm;-)i have a more recent link, … http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/820021.stm;-)i have a more recent link, ill try and find it if I can.

People with high cholesterol have been told to cut out eggs from their … People with high cholesterol have been told to cut out eggs from their diet to lower their levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.

The article is quite weak. You got a newer/better one BG1, would be interested to know what the facts are :thumbsup:

I am veryinterested in this thread and look forward to some good food ideas as my OH's father died from a heart attack, his mum has had a heart bypass and now both his brothers have been told they have high cholestrol and are on medication. He is currently waiting for his blood test results.

mlakhi;6859274

wow...ur an a-class idiot! would welcome u to hukd but not so sure. misc is fab for asking lifes little questions and getting tips. if u dont like it go elsewhere.

loupomm i was checking this thread as mum has same prob so be intresting to see if anyone has any intresting tips/advice!

http://sd.stats.cod2.stfu-noob.net/stfu-noob.jpg

There are a few macaroni recipies ]here. Although most do have cheese in them, there are a few that don't

Original Poster

Is it true that eggs contain cholesterol?

Eggs do contain a type of cholesterol found in many foods, called dietary cholesterol. Eggs, liver, kidneys and prawns are higher in dietary cholesterol than other foods

Foods that are high in saturated fat include fatty meat, meat pies, sausages, hard cheese, butter and lard, pastry, cakes and biscuits, cream, soured cream and creme fraiche, coconut oil, coconut cream and palm oil

Original Poster

tregs;6859379

There are a few macaroni recipies ]here. Although most do have cheese in … There are a few macaroni recipies ]here. Although most do have cheese in them, there are a few that don't

thank you, will take a look :thumbsup:

I am of the opinion that the vast majority of cases of high cholesterol are associated with the individual's liver function. I think it is much better to be prescribed statins rather than to be constantly trying to eat a 'low cholesterol' diet when the liver is only going to make its own anyway!!

loupomm;6859399

Is it true that eggs contain cholesterol? Eggs do contain a type of … Is it true that eggs contain cholesterol? Eggs do contain a type of cholesterol found in many foods, called dietary cholesterol. Eggs, liver, kidneys and prawns are higher in dietary cholesterol than other foodsFoods that are high in saturated fat include fatty meat, meat pies, sausages, hard cheese, butter and lard, pastry, cakes and biscuits, cream, soured cream and creme fraiche, coconut oil, coconut cream and palm oil

its good cholesterol, eating 2/3 a day is good for you

Original Poster

black gerbil1;6859420

its good cholesterol, eating 2/3 a day is good for you

no, your wrong

Original Poster

chesso;6859411

I am of the opinion that the vast majority of cases of high cholesterol … I am of the opinion that the vast majority of cases of high cholesterol are associated with the individuals liver function. I think it is much better to be prescribed statins rather than to be constanntly trying to eat a 'low cholesterol' diet when the liver is only going to make its own anyway!!

i have regular bloods tests, my cholesteral has always been fine, untill the last lot, i have put on a bit of weight recently,stopped going to gym, and popped into greggs a bit after work :oops:

Use Flora Pro-active instead of other spreads....works for me!

Original Poster

bubbles65;6859469

bought some yesterday!

looked at the similar yoghurts, but very expensive!

bubbles65;6859469

Ditto or Benecol

Banned

Just run a pipe cleaner up yer veins

then yer can eat what yer want

Banned

loupomm;6859302

think my doctor is too busy to write me recipes :-D

lmfao that so made me titter

chesso;6859411

I am of the opinion that the vast majority of cases of high cholesterol … I am of the opinion that the vast majority of cases of high cholesterol are associated with the individual's liver function. I think it is much better to be prescribed statins rather than to be constantly trying to eat a 'low cholesterol' diet when the liver is only going to make its own anyway!!

I recently read that 2 in3 people have high cholesterol.

I agree about worrying too much about how much your fat intake is.:thumbsup:

Banned

wonders if matchmakers are bad for you, me and little guy sat here munching our way through the box :oops:

loupomm;6859446

i have regular bloods tests, my cholesteral has always been fine, untill … i have regular bloods tests, my cholesteral has always been fine, untill the last lot, i have put on a bit of weight recently,stopped going to gym, and popped into greggs a bit after work :oops:

Have you been put on meds,what was your cholesterol result if you don't mind me asking ?

sassie;6859620

wonders if matchmakers are bad for you, me and little guy sat here … wonders if matchmakers are bad for you, me and little guy sat here munching our way through the box :oops:

Whaddya you think lol

Banned

deb8z;6859634

Whaddya you think lol

nah not in moderation - lol

Original Poster

deb8z;6859627

Have you been put on meds,what was your cholesterol result if you don't … Have you been put on meds,what was your cholesterol result if you don't mind me asking ?

no medication for it yet as it is a first, just advised to cutt down and try to get it lowered, 4.4 before, 6.2 this time, am keen to get it down as there is history of heart disease on my dads side of family :thumbsup:

Grill meat when you can.
    Dont use salt.
    Change to semi skimmed milk (skimmed milk is like water)
    Do away with chips.
    Try to follow a low fat diet.
    My cholesterol was really high 2 years ago.8.7, have got it down now to 6.8, but have been on tablets for 18 months.

loupomm;6859489

bought some yesterday!looked at the similar yoghurts, but very expensive!

My doctor friend reckons that ANY yoghurt is as good as the '1 a day' 'friendly bacteria' stuff:thumbsup:

I was told by a Doc that 20% of high cholesterol is only to do with your diet anyway,rest is hereditary

I would have thought your Doc would have put you on meds if there's a history of heart disease, they usually do as a precaution.

Just Googled,dunno if you have read this page,some decent info on it.

]http//hc…tml

Why waste money on Benecol and the such when for the princely fee of £7.20 every 3 months you can get Statins and eat what you want! :thumbsup:

deb8z;6859847

I was told by a Doc that 20% of high cholesterol is only to do with your … I was told by a Doc that 20% of high cholesterol is only to do with your diet anyway,rest is hereditaryI would have thought your Doc would have put you on meds if there's a history of heart disease, they usually do as a precaution.

I'm sure they should have deb8z. 5.0 is too high for history of heart disease in family. Mine was 5.6 last year when I took bad, it went down to 2.6 with 40mg of Simvastatin then went back up to 5.2 when dose was halved to 20mg. Still on 20 mg so should will be getting it checked again shortly and if its still higher than 4. I will be asking for 40mg again regardless of side effects.

Banned

Why waste money on Benecol and the such when for the princely fee of … Why waste money on Benecol and the such when for the princely fee of £7.20 every 3 months you can get Statins and eat what you want!

]Heres why

toshapetriji;6860095

]Heres why

Iwsa just thunking that, it's so sad, goallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Original Poster

thanks guys, im seeingmy Dr again next week, will ask why i wasnt given meds, am a bit worried now :oops: - still i guess it'll keep me off the bad foods

loupomm;6859446

i have regular bloods tests, my cholesteral has always been fine, untill … i have regular bloods tests, my cholesteral has always been fine, untill the last lot, i have put on a bit of weight recently,stopped going to gym, and popped into greggs a bit after work :oops:

So, it's just guilt then ;-) :whistling:

Seriously, cholesterol is fine until the moment arrives when it isn't.
    All sorts of changes happen over time that make it more likely that your liver will end up altering the balance of HDLP and LDLP. The risk factor associated with so-called high cholesterol is not actually very high. There can be hardly a person in the UK who doesn't have a family history of some sort of heart/arterial disease.
    High blood pressure is the risk factor that matters the most.

I have high cholesterol now, which I've always put down to my thyroid packing in years ago. My doctor has said over the past few years that he's not even going to test the level as I usually get on very badly with any sorts of meds and the only way to get the cholesterol balance right is really statins. His answer - a glass or two of red wine a night.

Loads of people take Simvastatin and it's brilliant for them.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.
    Nibble on salad leaves.
    Matchmakers for sassie.:w00t:

Original Poster

chesso;6860274

So, it's just guilt then ;-) :whistling:Seriously, cholesterol is fine … So, it's just guilt then ;-) :whistling:Seriously, cholesterol is fine until the moment arrives when it isn't. All sorts of changes happen over time that make it more likely that your liver will end up altering the balance of HDLP and LDLP. The risk factor associated with so-called high cholesterol is not actually very high. There can be hardly a person in the UK who doesn't have a family history of some sort of heart/arterial disease. [COLOR="Red"]High blood pressure [/COLOR]is the risk factor that matters the most.I have high cholesterol now, which I've always put down to my thyroid packing in years ago. My doctor has said over the past few years that he's not even going to test the level as I usually get on very badly with any sorts of meds and the only way to get the cholesterol balance right is really statins. His answer - a glass or two of red wine a night. Loads of people take Simvastatin and it's brilliant for them. You pays your money and you takes your choice.Nibble on salad leaves.Matchmakers for sassie.:w00t:

i have had high blood pressure since having my first baby, nearly 15 years ago, am on meds for that :oops: another reason to cut down

thank you for all the info x

Lower fat cheese taste foul avoid it they use rapeseed oil which is ment to be a health alternative but it taste foul

This stuff

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/JJGDance/leskol_660x323.jpg

Original Poster

J.Dance;6860469

Lower fat cheese taste foul avoid it they use rapeseed oil which is ment … Lower fat cheese taste foul avoid it they use rapeseed oil which is ment to be a health alternative but it taste foul

i think i will have to cut out the cheese than eat soft or the lower fat ones, thank you for the tips :-D

toshapetriji;6860095

]Heres why

That report in the Daily Mail is a very interesting read, however the words "could" "may" and "suggests" are used a lot. Seems to be very short on hard facts and proof. :thinking:

I either commit suicide or die of heart disease. Hard choice.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?1021
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764433
      3. Any PS4 News Here29213630
      4. Are these two things distinctly different to you?25101

See more discussions