Expired

Lowering driveway because Neighbour is being a complete ****

Found 9th Sep 2015
Hi Folks

Bit of advice if I may due to our neighbour being a complete childish idiot !!

We both share a lowered driveway and on several occasions he has driven his van out and parked quarter up then reversed his Subaru out and driven away. When it comes to us reversing our car out, or arriving back and the way the driveway is on a corner, when we come around the van to pull into our side we might clip his van which is more awkward than anything

What we have been doing is driving slightly up the pavement and driving slightly across our side on the lowered part until he moves his van, then we can reverse our car into our driveway. But today he arrived back and because we had our car where it was he then had to move his van to get his Subaru into his driveway....after that was when we realised he was being a ****. He Proceeded to drive his van right up to the front of our car fully knowing we can't get the car into our driveway at all now. We are tenants renting privately and have already spoke to him about this and he just does not listen.
We did think about getting the pavement lowered further up on our side, but as we are renting and it's not our house, then we will not pay for this job to be done. We are going to speak to our landlord now who will then speak to him which is the next solution, if this doesn't work then I'm in 2 minds whether or not to lay some cement down to create a lowered section of the pavement. Is this something that can be done or will the council fine for this to be removed? Has anyone else been in this situation before with neighbours and shared driveways?

It's driving us up the wall, this guy is about 60 and is the most childish person we have known for his age

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
56 Comments

Original Poster

As you can see he drove right up to our bumper, it's hard to see but I've drawn red lines where the kerb lowers

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/djbex/car_zpsoqrvwww6.jpg
Edited by: "saxo_appeal" 9th Sep 2015

Just set his car on fire. He cant park it like that again can he lol. Any pics?

Whos is whos block paved areas?

Original Poster

We share the block paved area but it's basically judged by the wall which divides our property gardens

where that dark line patch on the blocked in the middle is basically our lines
Edited by: "saxo_appeal" 9th Sep 2015

measure the height of the kerb and have a section of timber about 2 feet in length ? cut at an angle to create a ramp kind of effect to drive the car up that section of kerb.... The council can't complain as its not a permanent fixture

Why dont you both just use the driveway then? The kerb would be clear,

bigweapon07

Why dont you both just use the driveway then? The kerb would be clear,

If I'm reading it correctly because the neighbour has two vehicles.

I know this maybe a strange question,but did you ask him to move it so you can park on the drive X)

deb8z

If I'm reading it correctly because the neighbour has two vehicles.I know … If I'm reading it correctly because the neighbour has two vehicles.I know this maybe a strange question,but did you ask him to move it so you can park on the drive X)

And if you aee the picture they both have enough room for 2 cars on each driveway.

bigweapon07

And if you aee the picture they both have enough room for 2 cars on each … And if you aee the picture they both have enough room for 2 cars on each driveway.

I think they share the space next to the Blue one,unless I'm reading it wrong.

saxo_appeal

We share the block paved area but it's basically judged by the wall which … We share the block paved area but it's basically judged by the wall which divides our property gardens where that dark line patch on the blocked in the middle is basically our lines

When you add a line across you see the issue straight away
http://i.imgur.com/u51Vsmy.jpg
For what ever reason they have a pointless section of wall and a gate.

If they remove that it would solve all the issues.

Who owns the blue car on the right? I can't even see how they get that off the driveway without using someonelse's driveway. Are they also having problems? Perhaps they could get involved somehow or have a solution as previous tenants may also have had the same happen to them with the same neighbour.

Ask the council to widen the lower pavement further to cover full driving area onto the parking spaces!

1 report issue to police and get crime number do it first, as you will escalate this issue whatever you do, contact council office and get the mediator out. don't think he's not checking out his options either. cctv.
2 move house you're renting and life's to short.
3 shared driveway stone blocks turn centre row on end to divide drive in half is the easiest option.

Is the Blue car,van mans car as well ?

I've got brain ache lol

Original Poster

BigWeapon He doesn't think like that mate, when he drives his van out, he knows he is being an awkward **** and leaves it sitting out on the road, I'll mark on another picture where he leaves it stranded and then takes his subaru away for a drive

Rob, I have a feeling the kids around here would pinch the wood though

Rikki, there is no way we could reverse up it the way it stands just now as the Audi wheel suspension will take a hammering trying to get up the kerb or down

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/djbex/car_zpskamiqtdp.jpg

Just noticed some traffic cones - place them where he parks his car!

Original Poster

Our car is the silver Audi, his is the silver van and the Subaru. What you see is both our front walls and the wall that splits the gardens on the bottom right corner

There is a shared driveway at the front as there is no split sections, if this was my property I would certainly be building a wall to split them up. It's the lowered section on the pavement which is causing the issue, he parks that far up that we would have to bump our car either up or down on the kerb when he has the van out.

You can't alter the pavement yourself, it's part of the highway and any works must first be approved by the Council. The council will also only permit approved persons to undertake work to the highway (which is most often just their own contractors).

Just move house?

Putting in a drop kerb could cost £1000+ if the council charge.
If your car isn't on the drive and he's not blocking you in, then he's not causing an obstruction.
tbh if he's an **** then there's not much you can do.

seabs

You can't alter the pavement yourself, it's part of the highway and any … You can't alter the pavement yourself, it's part of the highway and any works must first be approved by the Council. The council will also only permit approved persons to undertake work to the highway (which is most often just their own contractors). Just move house?

I'm still wondering if they have actually spoken to each other about the problem X)

deb8z

I'm still wondering if they have actually spoken to each other about the … I'm still wondering if they have actually spoken to each other about the problem X)

Yes op states in the opening post that he/she has already spoken to the neighbour about this and he just does not listen.

Original Poster

We have already looked into the driveway being lowered and I spoke to the council who then sent me forms to fill in

I then spoke to my mate who works for a 3rd party Tayside Contracts and they would have done the job given the approval of the council and said it would have cost £500 as long as there was another job to do in the area. Apparently he can only buy the Tar at a Ton which is why he needed another householders kerb to be lowered which brought the price down.

I thought about lowering the kerb by placing cement down but that may be classed as a permanent fixture but could easily be lifted away as it wont have attached properly. Then I had the idea of the wood but then what happens if the kids pull it away and play with it. Or if we are out the neighbour might come out and remove it

LJM

Yes op states in the opening post that he/she has already spoken to the … Yes op states in the opening post that he/she has already spoken to the neighbour about this and he just does not listen.

It seems such a long time ago now that I read it Seems odd if you speak to someone and they still carry on doing it

Original Poster

He is an immature 60yr old that thinks he owns the road and everything that surrounds it

If anyone has a neighbour like that or in the past then you know what we are up against

I may be wrong but I was told you can't attach wood/cement to a curb as you need insurance incase someone trips or falls

I can't really see the problem here. There seems to be loads of room to park on the brick area outside your house!

Original Poster

Thought about playing him at his own game and drilling a post on 'our side' like below, like to see him manoeuvre his Subaru out

amazon.co.uk/Fol…ost

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/djbex/car_zpsslzeea5j.jpg

saxo_appeal

Thought about playing him at his own game and drilling a post on 'our … Thought about playing him at his own game and drilling a post on 'our side' like below, like to see him manoeuvre his Subaru out http://www.amazon.co.uk/Folding-parking-driveway-bollard-included/dp/B00D2KVWPC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441814958&sr=8-1&keywords=driveway+post

That's a fantatic idea to be honest!

Original Poster

cdm22

I can't really see the problem here. There seems to be loads of room to … I can't really see the problem here. There seems to be loads of room to park on the brick area outside your house!

Mate read the whole thread please

This is about him covering about 75% of the dropped driveway thus making our have to BUMP up and down the kerb

saxo_appeal

Mate read the whole thread pleaseThis is about him covering about 75% of … Mate read the whole thread pleaseThis is about him covering about 75% of the dropped driveway thus making our have to BUMP up and down the kerb

Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? Thats why cars have tyres and suspension.

Original Poster

Our car is an S-Line which has hardened suspension and also the tyre wall thickness is 255/35 R19 which doesn't give much protection if bumping down or bumping up. Even if it wasn't causing damage much, doing that over and over again would certainly start ruining something. Our previous car had its wishbone replaced which I think was due to what I have been speaking about.

Original Poster

LJM

Still can't see the point of that gate and bit of wall on his side. With … Still can't see the point of that gate and bit of wall on his side. With the wall there and he parks both vehicles on the drive then one of them is always going to be trapped in that right hand bit. If the wall/gate weren't there and the drives were used at all times then there wouldn't appear to be a problem. Difficult one.

Correct, he must have had the plans drawn up by the muppets to be honest, I have no idea why he has that gate there

If he's parked across the dropped curb, then he's obstructing-dosnt matter if its his or not. This is an offence and then becomes a police/ council matter.

Hmmm, put a dividing wall down the blocked area to the pavement...i.e. make sure you partition your side ... then he will have to remove that useless front gate and the brick wall?! Have you discussed the issue with your landlord btw?

tell him to knock down the gate and wall in front of his Scooby and you can all get in and out without moving and parking on the road etc. sounds like a right difficult old **** to be honest so maybe a runaway skip lorry will have to help the wall over to speed things along...

Where does he park the van when the blue car is on road?

some people don't get it when they block your drive and most people think you are just moaning and they always think that you can get off it even if they park directly opposite on a small road. when a neighbour who used to live in the street with her parent and once blocked us in for a whole day when she parked her car and went out with her mam, moved in directly behind us, she blocked us a few times and we had a gentle word. Things seemed ok until I blocked my own drive and she came storming out, so we are ok to park there now, said to her sorry don't know what you are talking about, then had to explain that its ok for me to block my own drive as I am not blocking anything one else! she just didn't get it, and to make matters worse the neighbour a few doors down tell us both her and her husband are police officers.

good luck with your neighbour

Edited by: "eslick" 9th Sep 2015

1 You both parked in front of a drop curb so he's probably as fed up as you about it.
2 You don't need to drop a curb as there is access to the two spaces the problem is him obstructing the curb so sticking posts up isn't going to solve anything.
3 If he has two cars and one space it's his problem to juggle and move but Not block access
4 Tell him not to do it again and if not compliant just completely block it yourself so he understands the frustration
5 Your paying rent to park your car there and if you can't properly then speak to landlord and ask for reduction.

You have a much better car than him, so he is jealous.

The best way is to ask your landlord to speak to the neighbour and come up with a solution. Also mention that if he can not come to no compromise you will just move out. Or ask the landlord to have the kerb dropped as its his property. Its really pointless speaking direct to the neighbour as they seem childish. Its better to find somewhere better to live then waste time in your life with ignorant people like these.
If you do plan to stay and get no luck as above get a bit of timber that is cut at an angle and get some gripfill and stick it down next to the pavement and road. This stuff is pretty strong and sets within a few hours. It stop people from being able to remove it or kids kicking it away.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants