Expired

LPG conversion? (64 plate zafira 1.8l petrol)

Found 15th Oct 2014
Seems to be a no brainer. Place in west brom do the full conversion for £500, I do 10,000 miles a year and plan to keep the car for 5 or 6 years at least. Circa £750-1000 fuel saving a year (is that accurate?) plus £10/15 a year off tax

Why doesn't everyone get it done?

Are there any issues with LPG these days?

Also the car is on finance so would I need the finance company's permission?

Would it void my lifetime Vauxhall warranty?
Community Updates
AskConversePetrolZafira
14 Comments
Your warranty will be gone.

LPG still isn't as reliable - but that depends on who does the conversion most of the time!
in my opinion its not very good. Even the manufactures were having issues with it which is one of the factors why it never really took off.

It will void the warranty and on such a new car that is a massive downside.

The finance company will also 'probably' stipulate that you cannot modify it.

Last I read about it was that it didn't lubricate properly which is why they start up on petrol first then switch to gas after a few seconds and gas burns hotter so it kept burning holes in pistons and valves.

Don't do it is my advice.
Original Poster
Ok thanks both, it's a definate no go if it voids the warranty
Have you also taken into account the depreciation of a new car, particularly one that has an aftermarket conversion that will as likely put off potential buyers when you come to sell it?
Putting the kit on a 3 year + old car would make a lot more sense.

Also the PITA factor of not being able to fill up at any station with LPG, losing boot space or the spare wheel to the gas tank, not being allowed on the Eurotunnel, etc.
Vauxhall and Volvo tried to do it in the early 2000's (dualfuel/Bi-fuel options) but both have given up since.
Dont think any manufacturer does it factory fit anymore.
I had a meriva with this engine and the fuel consumption is absolutely atrocious. In the end sold it and got one with the 1.4 turbo which is quicker and uses at least 1/3 less fuel (and the car tax is less then half the price) best buy I have made in ages.
Original Poster
Johnnystorm, I was hoping for appreciation rather than depreciation

Argoj, that's what made me ask the question. Was hoping to double my effective fuel consumption. Looking like close on 400 miles round town on a full tank, but may end up closer to 350
The manufacturers give up becuase they couldn't make enough money off it compared to the cost of ensuring it works properly, it doesn't mean that it can't be done properly but its just not profitable enough for them. Saving money for the consumer isn't the top of the manufacturers priorities
dbox

The manufacturers give up becuase they couldn't make enough money off it … The manufacturers give up becuase they couldn't make enough money off it compared to the cost of ensuring it works properly, it doesn't mean that it can't be done properly but its just not profitable enough for them. Saving money for the consumer isn't the top of the manufacturers priorities

Well many manufactures still make LPG converted cars but as the big markets are left hand drive they dont bother doing right hand drive versions for a small market. With the move to smaller turbo charged engines its unlikely we will see many LPG cars here in the UK.
You'd probably be better off with a diesel Zafira?, Diesel version will carry the weight better too.
I bought my volvo C70 convertible 3 years ago with 60k miles. The first thing i did was get it converted to LPG as id had LPG cars in the past. I have now done 35k miles on LPG and still runs the same as the day i got the car. Never had the flash lube fitted as didnt think it would need it as the car starts on petrol anyway. I can get 450 motorway miles out of 72 litres of gas. My previous LPG car was a Nissan 200Sx S14a drift spec tuned for LPG
One car i'd be tempted to convert to LPG would be a Toyota Prius. You'd get ridiculously good (effective) MPG if it was done properly
118luke

One car i'd be tempted to convert to LPG would be a Toyota Prius. You'd … One car i'd be tempted to convert to LPG would be a Toyota Prius. You'd get ridiculously good (effective) MPG if it was done properly

your saving would probably be eaten up by the increased insurance premium
i recall mazda use to sell LPG cars directly from their showrooms with warranty, but i think they were fleet only
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions