Lucasfilm is putting all future Star Wars spinoffs on hold

Found 21st JunEdited by:"Forgottenshopper"
Just found this on Twiitter..

collider.com/sta…ial

According to Collider, plans for more "A Star Wars Story" films have been suspended. Instead, resources will be focused on Episode IX as well as the next trilogy of films in the franchise. It may be a while before we see any more movies like Solo: A Star Wars Story out of Lucasfilm. Sources with knowledge of the situation tell Collider that Lucasfilm has decided to put plans for more A Star Wars Story spinoff movies on hold, instead opting to focus their attention on Star Wars: Episode IX and what the next trilogy of Star Wars films will be after that film. Sources tell us that the previously rumored Obi-Wan movie was in active development, but those who were working on the film are no longer involved. It was recently reported that Logan filmmaker James Mangold was in early talks to write and direct the Boba Fett film, but that was before Solo’s release.

This news comes in the wake of the disappointing launch of Solo, which was only Lucasfilm’s second A Star Wars Story spinoff, but which received mixed-positive reviews and fell short of box office expectations. The film scored $84.4 million on opening weekend and has grossed $192.8 million domestically (and $339.5 million

worldwide) in four weeks, which is nothing to scoff at but is far, far lower than the performance of other Star Wars movies at this benchmark. For comparison’s sake, Rogue One opened to $155 million and had grossed $424 million domestic by Week 4. To put it simply, while Solo did fine by blockbuster standards, it wasn’t the “event” that Lucasfilm expected out of a brand new Star Wars movie.

2964429.jpgImage via Lucasfilm

Of course the May release date could have had something to do with Solo’s disappointing performance. As opposed to Rogue One or the episodic films by J.J. Abrams and Rian Johnson, Solo went head-to-head with a slew of summer blockbusters in May, opening mere weeks after box office juggernauts Avengers: Infinity War and Deadpool 2. One wonders how the film would have fared had Lucasfilm pushed Solo’s release to December instead. Regardless, we’re hearing that plans to revisit this A Star Wars Story format have been put on hold for the moment. Initially announced as “anthology” movies, the spinoffs got off to a rocky start and haven’t exactly been smooth sailing. Josh Trank (Chronicle) was developing a Boba Fett movie around the same time Gareth Edwards (Godzilla) was prepping Rogue One, but Trank was subsequently removed from the project and Lucasfilm lost a film off its planned slate. Then story issues led to extensive reshoots on Rogue One that reworked the third act, with Tony Gilroy (The Bourne Legacy) overseeing the new scenes. And then of course Solo saw directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller fired during production, with Ron Howard coming in to replace them and reshoot a number of scenes.

2964429.jpgImage via Lucasfilm

In addition to Episode IX, Lucasfilm has officially announced development on a new Star Wars trilogy focused on new characters from The Last Jedi writer/director Rian Johnson, as well as a new series of films written by Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

These projects continue to be in development and are not part of the paused spinoffs we’re hearing about. But Lucasfilm’s main focus at the moment is planning the next trilogy after the Abrams-directed Star Wars 9, which is expected to conclude the story of Rey (Daisy Ridley) that began with The Force Awakens.

As with everything in Hollywood, it’s always possible that some filmmaker could come in and pitch an idea for a Star Wars Story spinoff that makes Lucasfilm rethink its approach, or opt to greenlight that idea as a one-off, but as of right now we’re hearing the studio’s focus has moved away from these spinoffs for the time-being and is squarely intent on getting Episode IX to the finish line and figuring out what the next trilogy of films will be.

More as we hear it.

Community Updates
Misc
13 Comments
deleted1431257
No surprise, many Star Wars fans including myself boycotted Solo because of that The Last Jedi disgrace and the devil incarnate Kathleen Kennedy.
I hate star wars.
Thank god....although I'm not a fan they have actually devalued their own product by being so greedy
People are still angry about Phantom Menace and kids habe the Marvel films now what did they expect by knocking out so many films these days.
deleted143125717 h, 23 m ago

No surprise, many Star Wars fans including myself boycotted Solo because …No surprise, many Star Wars fans including myself boycotted Solo because of that The Last Jedi disgrace and the devil incarnate Kathleen Kennedy.

I really hope that isn't how they read this. While I might feel a bit miffed at some of what TLJ did, I think opening it up is probably the best thing to do going forward. They've not done anything the original extended universe didn't do, as a matter of fact, they've been a lot more careful with it. I'd rather they didn't just try and clumsily ret-con it...

Ultimately, I think it's genre fatigue, Black Panther, Avengers, Deadpool 2, Ready Player One... and with more to come... It was always unsustainable.
Edited by: "Krooner" 22nd Jun
Solo wasn't a good film but Rogue One was. The Solo film is probably the reason why they need to think about what films people want to see, not what films can we make.
Edited by: "Schlingel" 22nd Jun
In a universe far far away, there is but one Star Wars film, the first one, and all the other dross is non existent.
The original Star Wars trilogy was brilliant and Rogue One was a very good precursor to them. I thought all the prequels were dross, The Force Awakens was very poor and The Last Jedi was pretty average. Haven't seen Solo yet and from what I've read I don't think I'll be seeing it until it's in the bargain bins.
Agharta43 m ago

In a universe far far away, there is but one Star Wars film, the first …In a universe far far away, there is but one Star Wars film, the first one, and all the other dross is non existent.

No love for Empire strikes back?
Hold up, "Star Wars" fans the above isn't accurate...

Reports of the death of future standalone films from that galaxy far, far away (like "Solo," "Rogue One" and a rumored -- but never-announced -- Obi-Wan Kenobi project) appear to be premature, and speculative at best.

Lucasfilm sources on Thursday characterized as "inaccurate" a report that future "Star Wars" movies falling outside of the regular trilogy storyline (Episodes I to IX) have been put on hold in the wake of the box office under-performance of "Solo: A Star Wars Story."

Instead, Lucasfilm told ABC News there are still "multiple" Star Wars films currently in development that have not been officially announced. Those projects are moving forward separate from an already-announced "Star Wars" trilogy being overseen by "The Last Jedi" director Rian Johnson and another series of movies from "Game of Thrones" producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.
Snakeyes64632 m ago

No love for Empire strikes back?

There is only 1 Star Wars film.
Good.
The whole series since the prequel saga from 99 onwards has been a drag, Shut it down!!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions