Lukaku has got talent after all

Found 9th JanEdited by:"OllieSt"
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
As a self identified Afro-American the hoodie is simply not racist. All kids are compared to monkeys.
29 Comments
As a self identified Afro-American the hoodie is simply not racist. All kids are compared to monkeys.
Ignoring any racism, the original slogan was **** anyway.
davewave51 m ago

As a self identified Afro-American the hoodie is simply not racist. All …As a self identified Afro-American the hoodie is simply not racist. All kids are compared to monkeys.

Indeed, I often call my boy a little monkey, in reference to his behaviour not his appearance.
Edited by: "athunder" 9th Jan
Shengis1 h, 17 m ago

Ignoring any racism, the original slogan was **** anyway.

the other one is pointless too, since no-one said it wasn't beautiful, perhaps we need to campaign for 'Green Hoodies Matter'
davewave1 h, 23 m ago

As a self identified Afro-American the hoodie is simply not racist. All …As a self identified Afro-American the hoodie is simply not racist. All kids are compared to monkeys.

Are you actually African American? If not I don't think that's particularly funny.
The full slogan was "coolest monkey in the jungle". I don't think many parents call their kids a little monkey from the jungle, it would sound a bit odd right?
It was a bit of a stupid move, since it is obvious that people would find it offensive.

However let's not pretend that this is the sole 'odd slogan' on clothing. Kids clothing includes phrases such as 'Im a unicorn' to 'I eat glitter for breakfast'.
The issue is that they chose a black person to go with the phrase and they rightly got grilled for it. If they hadn't, there wouldn't be an issue.
Edited by: "drasim" 9th Jan
I think its bang out of order. The child concerned hopefully had no idea what all the fuss is about, but that's the issue I have. It's exploitation of a minor. How do you think he would feel if a few years down the line he was racially abused using the words on the jumper? It doesn't' matter whether his parents approved of it or not. It was a totally insensitive campaign by H&M. I can't believe no one thought that it might cause offence.
deleted1431257
*Stormzy
OllieSt19 m ago

I think its bang out of order. The child concerned hopefully had no idea …I think its bang out of order. The child concerned hopefully had no idea what all the fuss is about, but that's the issue I have. It's exploitation of a minor. How do you think he would feel if a few years down the line he was racially abused using the words on the jumper? It doesn't' matter whether his parents approved of it or not. It was a totally insensitive campaign by H&M. I can't believe no one thought that it might cause offence.

The only thing I can think of is that H&M photo shoots might not be done in UK and the meaning of the phrase doesn't translate the same way in another language. I don't know if they still work this way but I remember going to H&M Oslo some years back and items included currency for various countries, which gives the impression that the company was centralised.

Probably far fetched but it could be a reason
its not the 1970s any more you know that, when words like that were sadly used even on TV, today its a different world and most people, except the real racists wouldnt have even thought about it in that way, its just another kid in a hoody because you know what thats all it is a kid in a hoody.

We all want all cultures to live together in harmony but sadly with social media things get blown out of proportion as we have seen so many times.

History cannot and should not be forgotten and I honestly dont think people in this country know how bad it was in the past but I had hoped that the world was a better place than what you are implying. Kids are taught about the civil rights movment in schools and few years we took our kids the Martin Luther King national park in the US (signed into law today as a park and not a site which isnt being reported in this country) where we spent half a day learning about the past, the kids new most of it already from school I was quite amazed. I spoke to them tonight about this and you know what they didnt understand what the issue was, because they didnt even think of the jungle reference. So hopefully we are moving on from the bigitory past and at least in the minds of 12 and 15 year olds we already have.

OllieSt1 h, 8 m ago

I think its bang out of order. The child concerned hopefully had no idea …I think its bang out of order. The child concerned hopefully had no idea what all the fuss is about, but that's the issue I have. It's exploitation of a minor. How do you think he would feel if a few years down the line he was racially abused using the words on the jumper? It doesn't' matter whether his parents approved of it or not. It was a totally insensitive campaign by H&M. I can't believe no one thought that it might cause offence.

How could they not notice the fact that it may offend some people?. Very bad or good PR since lots of people are talking about it, All for the wrong reasons. Great from Lukaku though.
There is no way H&M weren't aware of the potential fallout from this.
All large corporations have people tasked with ensuring the company is as law suit proof as possible.
Uranus9th Jan

There is no way H&M weren't aware of the potential fallout from this.All …There is no way H&M weren't aware of the potential fallout from this.All large corporations have people tasked with ensuring the company is as law suit proof as possible.

And no one in a large corporation has ever made an inadvertent error, have they?

(If pandering with political correctness to the marching twitterati petitioners should be considered the right approach.)
davewave1 h, 8 m ago

And no one in a large corporation has ever made an inadvertent error, have …And no one in a large corporation has ever made an inadvertent error, have they? (If pandering with political correctness to the marching twitterati petitioners should be considered the right approach.)

No Dave.
If you leave aside your biased right wing agenda for a moment, you'd realise that all companies can (and very often do) check for potential damaging impact of their intended activities before committing those activities.
Hence H&M almost certainly knew what they were doing.

But you already know that Dave.
You aren't stupid, most of your posts demonstrate knowledge. Hence this is purely you looking for an opportunity to have a go at something that sounds like it may have a lefty angle to it.

For shame Dave, for shame.
Edited by: "Uranus" 9th Jan
eslick1 h, 40 m ago

its not the 1970s any more you know that, when words like that were sadly …its not the 1970s any more you know that, when words like that were sadly used even on TV, today its a different world and most people, except the real racists wouldnt have even thought about it in that way, its just another kid in a hoody because you know what thats all it is a kid in a hoody. We all want all cultures to live together in harmony but sadly with social media things get blown out of proportion as we have seen so many times. History cannot and should not be forgotten and I honestly dont think people in this country know how bad it was in the past but I had hoped that the world was a better place than what you are implying. Kids are taught about the civil rights movment in schools and few years we took our kids the Martin Luther King national park in the US (signed into law today as a park and not a site which isnt being reported in this country) where we spent half a day learning about the past, the kids new most of it already from school I was quite amazed. I spoke to them tonight about this and you know what they didnt understand what the issue was, because they didnt even think of the jungle reference. So hopefully we are moving on from the bigitory past and at least in the minds of 12 and 15 year olds we already have.

That's interesting. I asked my 15 year old son what he thought, and he's view was the same as your kids.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 9th Jan
Probably comes to mind easily for footballers as they're still disgracefully subjected to monkey chanting etc. at times.
Uranus9th Jan

No Dave.If you leave aside your biased right wing agenda for a moment, …No Dave.If you leave aside your biased right wing agenda for a moment, you'd realise that all companies can (and very often do) check for potential damaging impact of their intended activities before committing those activities.Hence H&M almost certainly knew what they were doing.But you already know that Dave.You aren't stupid, most of your posts demonstrate knowledge. Hence this is purely you looking for an opportunity to have a go at something that sounds like it may have a lefty angle to it.For shame Dave, for shame.

You have an agenda which ignores that large companies occasionally make mistakes, as if this is one in a long line of intentionally offensive adverts - its H&M who sell clothes to anyone not a right-wing group.
OllieSt7 h, 30 m ago

That's interesting. I asked my 15 year old son what he thought, and he's …That's interesting. I asked my 15 year old son what he thought, and he's view was the same as your kids.

Kids often inherit bias from their parents.
davewave3 h, 40 m ago

Kids often inherit bias from their parents.

Do you have kids?
joanddan74 m ago

Do you have kids?

I have 1 kid, 3 goats and two monkeys.
It's a joke it wasn't offensive, I wonder if it was a black person that first complained it was offensive probably not.

We are destroying our children's future by allowing the imbeciles a voice just so they get noticed more in social media.
davewave48 m ago

I have 1 kid, 3 goats and two monkeys.

They let YOU adopt goats???

Broken Britain....
joanddan72 h, 56 m ago

They let YOU adopt goats???Broken Britain....

Goats I am sad to say are actually bought and sold like livestock.
Although I've started a petition about it goats do not have the same rights as you and I, goataphobia I guess, the shame of the West.
Edited by: "davewave" 10th Jan
davewave1 m ago

Goats I am sad to say are actually bought and sold like livestock. …Goats I am sad to say are actually bought and sold like livestock. Although I've started a petition do not have the same rights as you and I, goataphobia I guess, the shame of the West.

We don't even like eating Goats meat in the UK....

Goatist...

Rest of the world happily munch goats for fun...

Make Britain Goat Again...

Vote Me 2020...
joanddan74 h, 3 m ago

We don't even like eating Goats meat in the UK....Goatist...Rest of the …We don't even like eating Goats meat in the UK....Goatist...Rest of the world happily munch goats for fun...Make Britain Goat Again...Vote Me 2020...

They do more than just munch on goats in some parts of the world!.
.MUFC.5 m ago

They do more than just munch on goats in some parts of the world!.

Don't knock it till you've tried it.
deeky6 m ago

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

I'll pass, Stick to sheep.
Do you mean this #deeky give it a go Shaun #.mufc.
Hey folks, this is getting a bit off-topic here. Comments that aren't related to the OP have been removed. Please keep it friendly and on-topic
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions