Lunch payment for school

Posted 12th May
Hi, i have 2 kids 1 in year 3 and the other in year 2. I work full time. The school needs £100 for both every 4 weeks is that right? I mean the school not allowing any food from home.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Azwipe12/05/2020 01:07

https://www.gov.uk/apply-free-school-mealsInfant free school meals in …https://www.gov.uk/apply-free-school-mealsInfant free school meals in EnglandYour child will be able to get free school meals if they’re in a government-funded school and in:reception classyear 1year 2Maybe it's changed, maybe your school are money grabbers like our sons. It's all about the money.

Why are you bringing up your sons to be like that?
15 Comments
£2.50 per child per day.

£25 per week for two kids.

£100 per 4 weeks
Edited by: "Speculator" 12th May
£12.50 per week per child sounds a out right for school lunches. This is also the amount they are giving to families on benefits whose kids are currently off.

I don't see why they aren't allowing packed lunches though, that seems wrong.
Reception, year 1 and 2 are free in England. £100 per month is not correct.
Azwipe12/05/2020 00:46

Reception, year 1 and 2 are free in England. £100 per month is not correct.

My daughter is in the end of year 2 and apparently the law changed in April 2020 it was free until April
happyman198212/05/2020 00:47

My daughter is in the end of year 2 and apparently the law changed in …My daughter is in the end of year 2 and apparently the law changed in April 2020 it was free until April

gov.uk/app…als
Infant free school meals in EnglandYour child will be able to get free school meals if they’re in a government-funded school and in:

• reception class
  • year 1
  • year 2

Maybe it's changed, maybe your school are money grabbers like our sons. It's all about the money.
Edited by: "Azwipe" 12th May
The school is asking for £100 per 4 weeks but is it for the next school year?

Depending on the Covid situation, it's possible the next time your kids attend school will be in September.
Edited by: "Speculator" 12th May
harlzter12/05/2020 00:27

£12.50 per week per child sounds a out right for school lunches. This is …£12.50 per week per child sounds a out right for school lunches. This is also the amount they are giving to families on benefits whose kids are currently off.I don't see why they aren't allowing packed lunches though, that seems wrong.

They won’t allow packed lunches because of covid. When schools were open they stopped giving school kids water cups and were told to bring water bottles from home, but now things have changed a lot so no one will be allowed to bring food in.
Speculator12/05/2020 02:02

The school is asking for £100 per 4 weeks but is it for the next school …The school is asking for £100 per 4 weeks but is it for the next school year?Depending on the Covid situation, it's possible the next time your kids attend school will be in September.

Key workers children have not stopped going to school...
That’s good £100 for 2 children for 4 weeks... the wife use to put money on the kids cards weekly at £20 each so they had a bit extra as the core meal was not what they would eat. So that would work out at £160 for 2 every 4 weeks..
Schools are currently shut for Years 2 and 3. Years 2 would normally received a Universal Free School Meal, but there is no guidance as to if Key Worker children attending should still receive this. I'm sure 99% of schools would offer this for free (if they can provide food) but I'd have a hard time proving this entitlement. Schools are still receiving this income (or at least haven't been told they're losing it), but before you assume they're profiting out of the situation they may be making significant loses elsewhere (lettings, before and after school clubs).

Assuming it's not a Private School (in which case they're definitely entitled to do what they like) and they are having Years R and 1 back next month, ask them what they are doing for those children. I assume they will be receiving a school meal for free of some variety, ask them to justify why your Year 2 child can't have this.

The Universal Free School Meals is funded at £2.30 per meal, so their maths is almost right...
Azwipe12/05/2020 01:07

https://www.gov.uk/apply-free-school-mealsInfant free school meals in …https://www.gov.uk/apply-free-school-mealsInfant free school meals in EnglandYour child will be able to get free school meals if they’re in a government-funded school and in:reception classyear 1year 2Maybe it's changed, maybe your school are money grabbers like our sons. It's all about the money.

Why are you bringing up your sons to be like that?
harlzter12/05/2020 00:27

£12.50 per week per child sounds a out right for school lunches. This is …£12.50 per week per child sounds a out right for school lunches. This is also the amount they are giving to families on benefits whose kids are currently off.I don't see why they aren't allowing packed lunches though, that seems wrong.

Yes I agree does seem over the top to me!👎 👎
Seems too cheap to me..

I think the main issue with packed lunches is the lack of nutritional education people in the UK have. Having one of the fastest growing obesity rates in the world means we need assistance where possible.
one of the costs of having kids you need to feed them, luck that up to now its been free, many of us didnt get the option as meals werent free when our kids were the age where you get free meals (this is not a benefits comment)
£2.50 a day for school lunches is expensive and not allowing packed lunches for covid reasons is utterly stupid. The person preparing the packed lunches is likely also the person washing & ironing clothes, helping them get ready etc.

The risk of spreading the virus through a packed lunch over the general risk of transmission must be so tiny you couldn't even measure it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions