Expired

Lycamobile 4G speed test

Found 2nd Jun 2014
I am hoping to move to the unlimited 4G offering of Lycamobile this month, as it looks very inviting when compared to the giffgaff offering. If you already have a SIM card from lyca and are on the plan, please can you tell me the throughput you are getting i.e. the speed results at different times of the day lets say 8am, 1pm and 6pm.

Thanks for your help.
Community Updates
5 Comments
The entirety of what you are asking is going to be pretty meaningless as depending on where someone lives will dictate how good or bad it performs. Again the times of the day also wont make a difference as if you live in a place with a high number of customers per mast and the person giving you figures is the opposite then you again have very meaningless data. At the end of the day 4G is a standard, similarly as Lyca is an MVNO it runs on O2 so performance would be similar if not the same as those on O2 4G.

It may be more practical to head to a Carphonewarehouse store and ask if they can demonstrate 4G where you are based or order a sim with a small amount of credit and to make practical real world tests at the places where you are going to use it.

I will be getting shot of 3 when I come to the end of my contract as it's great at home with 12mbps+, however at my work I'm lucky to get a signal.
speed is good better than giffgaff which i was on previously no test run. im on this deal however gutted it dont allow tethering.
Many thanks @Astec123 and @4cx250f
Yes indeed the best option is to buy a SIM card and test it out with some credit.

About the experience being similar to O2, I doubt that. As an MVNO, Lyca purchases a chunk of data for its customers which goes through a pipe. The more customers lyca gets, the worse experience it becomes for its customers.
On the other hand, even if I am based in London, it is very much possible that I could be using the internet servers based in Birmingham or Bristol, as the server based in London may not have the capacity.

Someone told me today, that Lyca were predominantly into international calling business, and they were not utilising the data pipe effectively. For this reason, they have brought in new plans to position themselves differently in the market.
socialmammal

Many thanks @Astec123 and @4cx250fYes indeed the best option is to buy a … Many thanks @Astec123 and @4cx250fYes indeed the best option is to buy a SIM card and test it out with some credit.About the experience being similar to O2, I doubt that. As an MVNO, Lyca purchases a chunk of data for its customers which goes through a pipe. The more customers lyca gets, the worse experience it becomes for its customers.On the other hand, even if I am based in London, it is very much possible that I could be using the internet servers based in Birmingham or Bristol, as the server based in London may not have the capacity.Someone told me today, that Lyca were predominantly into international calling business, and they were not utilising the data pipe effectively. For this reason, they have brought in new plans to position themselves differently in the market.

I've no experience of Lyca but have of other MVNO operators so never really found much of a difference. Point taken if that's what they are like.

If you pass a CPW store worth popping in and seeing if they can show you how it performs real world where you are.

Frankly, I don't see much point in speeds beyond 3G on mobile phones as the only things I've found I download is streaming videos which 3G more than covers. None the less, the data allowances are pitiful based on the maximum download speeds and until operators up the figures it seems a non starter in my book, I'd rather have unlimited data like I have now at a slower speed than the 500mb/1gb that most places offer. I've seen 5 and 10gb but at prices that are just needlessly overpriced to attract the speed bunnies who need the bragging rights about the speeds they get.
I've seen 5 and 10gb but at prices that are just needlessly overpriced to attract the speed bunnies who need the bragging rights about the speeds they get.

@Astec123
Ah.... you should look at the Lyca offering then, for £12 they are providing almost unlimited 4G data (10GB and then they start shaping to 2G speeds or 100kbps)
Or look at this thread
hotukdeals.com/dea…299
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants