Expired

Lyle & Scott V Neck - Fake Anyone?

Found 15th May 2014
Hi,

I recently won an item in an eBay auction for a new Lyle & Scott v neck Vintage jumper. When I received the jumper, I have realised that the Lyle & Scott logo is not embroidered how it usually is. I know that the logo is usually sort of resting on top of the clothing so it's kind of a separate item that is stitched on.

On this jumper, the logo is integrated in so you can see the stitching underneath; this is not what any of my genuine Lyle & Scott clothing is like and I have never seen this before on any other Lyle & Scott clothing. It reminds me of a fake Lacoste jumper I came across a while ago.

Does anyone know much about these that could help determine whether this is a fake please or whether Lyle & Scott do use this type of embroidery?

Thanks
Community Updates
AskLyle & ScottShirt
16 Comments
I've just checked my husbands genuine L&S jumper and the eagle logo is clearly a separate emblem stitched onto the right hand side and I would say it is resting on the top. I've googled your dilemma and found the following :
When checking if a Lyle and Scott jumper is real or fake you can also see some giveaway signs on the garment itself. If the famous golden eagle logo so synonymous with the brand’s vintage jumper range is not a separate and independently created piece that has then been stitched directly onto the jumper then the item is most likely fake. By taking the time to check the interior of the jumper you should be able to identify this easily enough (although you obviously cannot do this when buying online). Also, the quality of the material from which Lyle and Scott jumpers are made clearly should stand out from other cheap imitations, as the brand are famous for their use of quality materials in their men’s designer clothing.
On the neck label inside you will notice that on a genuine garment the size will be on a small square tag stitched to the centre of the L&S label, on the fakes the size ticket will be left stitched on the left or right of the L&S label.
The cardboard tag accompanying the garment will be a booklet design where you open it to read about the garment rather than just a flat 'bookmark' tag with the details.
Hope it helps you and I'm sorry if you've been duped.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Guide-on-spotting-fake-and-genuine-lyle-and-scott-/10000000011269735/g.html

http://www.thewholesaleforums.co.uk/threads/lyle-and-scott-polo-spot-a-fake.47632/

Not sure if any of these would be any help?

i bought a face jumper on ebay and got my money back without returuning it as i didnt want the seller to sell it on again. i reported it to trading standards and gave that ref no to ebay.
hope this helps trace
I've checked it more thoroughly now that I'm at home and it's definitely fake. The quality is that of a Turkish copy and the tag inside has the name 'okay' instead of the usual Lyle & Scott tags. I'll open a case and get it sorted. I knew there was something dodgy as soon as i saw the logo!

Thanks everyone for all of your help, much appreciated!

Luckily the seller is alright and she has issued me a refund without going through the resolution centre :-)
If they sell lots of fake clothing it's likely they issued a refund so they can continue selling them lol
AndrewRoss

If they sell lots of fake clothing it's likely they issued a refund so … If they sell lots of fake clothing it's likely they issued a refund so they can continue selling them lol

I've checked the history and it doesn't look like she has sold clothing before. I am going to throw the jumper away anyway so she cannot sell it on
rikkif1990

I've checked the history and it doesn't look like she has sold clothing … I've checked the history and it doesn't look like she has sold clothing before. I am going to throw the jumper away anyway so she cannot sell it on

Just be aware that many brands do have products offering a differing level of quality. Brands like Calvin Klein will have one level of 'quality' to be sold at more high end shops but for their products which go to shops like TK Maxx they will be the cheaper alternative (logos ironed on as opposed to being embroidered). Bear this in mind before throwing accusations at someone on eBay.
Edited by: "ipswich78" 16th May 2014
ipswich78

Just be aware that many brands do have products offering a differing … Just be aware that many brands do have products offering a differing level of quality. Brands like Calvin Klein will have one level of 'quality' to be sold at more high end shops but for their products which go to shops like TK Maxx they will be the cheaper alternative (logos ironed on as opposed to being embroidered). Bear this in mind before throwing accusations at someone on eBay.

This is definitely a fake and when looking at it all properly it's obvious. The material is not even the material it's supposed to be.

Your last comment is unnecessary in this case; I would never throw accusations unless I was certain.

The labelling inside is a joke and if Lyle & Scott sold their products with such poor stitching they wouldn't sell anything.

Edited by: "rikkif1990" 16th May 2014
rikkif1990

This is definitely a fake and when looking at it all properly it's … This is definitely a fake and when looking at it all properly it's obvious. The material is not even the material it's supposed to be. Your last comment is unnecessary in this case; I would never throw accusations unless I was certain. The labelling inside is a joke and if Lyle & Scott sold their products with such poor stitching they wouldn't sell anything.

"sigh". Please don't take things so personally. Based on your comment in the opening post you weren't so sure. So I was aiming that comment on that particular point.

"Does anyone know much about these that could help determine whether this is a fake please or whether Lyle & Scott do use this type of embroidery?"
ipswich78

"sigh". Please don't take things so personally. Based on your comment … "sigh". Please don't take things so personally. Based on your comment in the opening post you weren't so sure. So I was aiming that comment on that particular point."Does anyone know much about these that could help determine whether this is a fake please or whether Lyle & Scott do use this type of embroidery?"

Ok fair enough, I know it's hard to judge things by text sometimes no offence intended by my response!
rikkif1990

Ok fair enough, I know it's hard to judge things by text sometimes no … Ok fair enough, I know it's hard to judge things by text sometimes no offence intended by my response!

Deal. We can be best friends now ;-)... On another note, rather than throw the jumper away why not find out if you can donate it to a charity where they send clothes abroad to the less fortunate? Seems a waste to bin it.
ipswich78

Deal. We can be best friends now ;-)... On another note, rather than … Deal. We can be best friends now ;-)... On another note, rather than throw the jumper away why not find out if you can donate it to a charity where they send clothes abroad to the less fortunate? Seems a waste to bin it.

Haha

That's a good idea actually, I haven't thrown it yet anyway.
I think you would be better sending the jumper to Lyle and Scott and give them the details of the ebay seller and then let them get Trading Standards involved or alternatively their Lawyers.
Toptrumpet

I think you would be better sending the jumper to Lyle and Scott and give … I think you would be better sending the jumper to Lyle and Scott and give them the details of the ebay seller and then let them get Trading Standards involved or alternatively their Lawyers.

I genuinely do not think the seller knew that it was fake. She seems like an older woman who purchased it for her child and she confirmed she bought it on eBay herself, but it did not fit him. Looking through her history, she doesn't sell much clothing except cheap brand tops and she sells hand crafted things. She doesn't seem like a notorious clothes counterfeiter/seller to me, otherwise I would take it further.

I'm just happy that she's given me the refund without me having to go through the resolution process and she has been honest with me about where she got it from.

I appreciate your advice though.
Edited by: "rikkif1990" 16th May 2014
You're right, you're not out of pocket just disappointed I guess that it wasn't what you thought it would be.
What about wearing it to do the garden in or wash the car etc?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions