M.2 SSD options for HP probook G3 450 i5 6200U

Found 3rd Apr 2016
Hi there, i've recently bought a HP probook on the trade up offer and cashback, and was looking into / toying with the idea of upgrading to a SSD to accompany the 500gb HDD. i dont want to lose the HDD, so believe im looking for a M.2 type of memory as opposed to SATA....

is there any other compatibility issues i need to bear in mind at all?

here are a couple of options from the discussion thread:

http://www.lambda-tek.com/Transcend-TS128GMTS400~sh/B1923962&origin=gbaseGB30.7?gclid=CPbh99fk0coCFQ2eGwodsvgFyw

amazon.co.uk/gp/…-21

uk.crucial.com/gbr…-g3

not looking for anything too big i guess.. i just want to run a fast ish system, so looking to boot from the drive at the very least. 128gb, 240gb ish.. sorry i know im being vague.. i guess i dont know enough about the drives and their uses other than the laptop can boot up in a few seconds...

As you can see im a novice, so help much appreciated.

Kind regards

Dave
Community Updates
AskHPIntel i5
5 Comments
Looking at the specs from hp in regards to your laptop it should be fine with this upgrade and it accepts full length m.2. Something like this would be perfect as its from a decent brand which is realible and provides excellent speeds.

amazon.co.uk/dp/…GJP
Looking at the specs of your laptop this would be fine to go ahead with and you shouldn't run into any problems. May I suggest [url=Samsung 120GB 850 EVO M.2 SATA SSD https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TWIUXVW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_qqyaxbRRMFGJP]This m.2[/url] as it is reliable and speedy and will work with your system fine.
Looking at the specs of your laptop this would be fine to go ahead with and you shouldn't run into any problems. May I suggest Samsung 850 evo m.2 SSD as it is reliable and speedy and will work with your system fine and it's also only about £55 or so, so it's cheap
Given the issue with the 840 Evo I'd hardly call Samsung a particularly reliable choice.

Although there's nothing particularly wrong with them, so if you can get the 250GB model for £55 then that's an acceptable choice. The 850 hasn't shown any similar issues and it's been out a while.

For a standard workload there's no noticable difference between SSD hardware so you either want to buy from a company that offers good after sales service, or buy the cheapest one around.

Basically look at the 240/250/256GB Drives at £55-60 and see which one takes your fancy. I generally wouldn't go for 120GB personally, you don't save a lot of money these days and it is easy to fill up.

There's a Sandisk 256GB model here for £57:
ebuyer.com/734…122
thank you for the comments, I understand that little bit more now. I was wondering if there was any particular 'gen' or perhaps read and write speeds that I should be looking out for.

I'll have a look at those options.

I guess my next question will be are there any installation issues that i need to know of. i know how to pop the ssd into the slot, but how do I 'move' my operating system to this ssd and do I need to change the boot sequence?

thanks folks.

dave
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants