M60 Variables

Posted 21st Nov
I commute to Manchester everyday and go around the M60 joining from the M61. My question is when there’s no sign above (no variable limit) what are the cameras set to? I’ve always done 70mph as soon as the Variable Speed camera sign appears but I’ve had a lot of people flying past me doing at least 80-90mph.

Even when there is a sign showing 40 which is quite often and I’m doing 39-40mph people are still passing me in their vans and cars sometimes even trucks. Has anyone been caught if so at what speed? Should I just be keeping up with the flow of traffic?
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
The camera should be set to 70 mph if there isn't another speed limit being displayed, and then set to whatever limit is being displayed.
"....Should I just be keeping up with the flow of traffic?"

You should adhere to the previously-posted maximum speed limit or note any subsequent signs (or instruction) that advise on a temporary limit.

"Everybody else was doing that speed" is not a valid defence claim when you are the one that is pulled-over.
I hate that some road almost trick you into speeding. No signs or a 60 sign 100m from a 30 sign.
I use my sat nav to help as it displays speed limits. ( but it’s not always correct ).
Im paranoid about it these days as need my license, to transport a disabled friend.
Im now in the habit of using cruise control and speed limiter all the time.
bigwheels21/11/2019 21:04

I hate that some road almost trick you into speeding. No signs or a 60 …I hate that some road almost trick you into speeding. No signs or a 60 sign 100m from a 30 sign.I use my sat nav to help as it displays speed limits. ( but it’s not always correct ).Im paranoid about it these days as need my license, to transport a disabled friend.Im now in the habit of using cruise control and speed limiter all the time.

I wish I had cruise control. I’m only young and I pay a daft amount for insurance. I’d hate to know how much it’d cost with points. I just sit at exactly the speed and then when the national speed limit is back on I sit at 70 again but it’s hard without going 2-3 over and then having to let go
Sprinter51521/11/2019 21:09

I wish I had cruise control. I’m only young and I pay a daft amount for i …I wish I had cruise control. I’m only young and I pay a daft amount for insurance. I’d hate to know how much it’d cost with points. I just sit at exactly the speed and then when the national speed limit is back on I sit at 70 again but it’s hard without going 2-3 over and then having to let go

I remember that feeling, ( I’m old now ).
When you upgrade your car in the future make sure it has cruise control.
Thats what I did.
Most new cars made in the last 3 year have cruise and air con it seems.
I do the A1, M62,M61,M6 and M55 into Blackpool. Twice a year. Cameras are bad, Not as bad as all the cameras in the Blackpool area.
My sat nav is continuously going off with warnings of cameras and speed limit changes.
Last week I was around Croydon, Bromley, Penge, Beckenham etc.
Roads Kept Changing speed limits 20-30-40-50 mph. Without sat nav I would have been done for speeding.
I cruise around variable speed limits at 10% above the speed limit, whether there is a speed limit set or not, done it for years on the m25, m5, and m4 and have never had a ticket YET! 🤞, I see loads of people passing me and have decided that they either don't know and get a ticket, don't care and get a ticket, or its stolen/unregistered so doesn't matter. at the end of the day travelling 10% above the posted speed limit might get you somewhere a few minutes earlier, the question to ask is - is it worth it.
In the past I was a chronic speeder every Thursday Friday and Saturday night for work. The quicker you were the more jobs you got.
Then when I got my HGV1 I had to slow down. Max speed was 54mph. Also 10 mph slower then posted sign on most roads. ie 40 in a 50.
I think it’s now changed to posted limit.
I think if there is no speed limit shown (ie standard 70mph applies) the cameras are off. But you should be safe and not go more than ~10% above the speed limit anyway.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants