Mac external drive full and will not boot

Posted 9th Jun
I have an external ssd drive for my imac, connected by usb

it has a non-ssd drive internal which took ages to boot and computer was slow

the external ssd transformed the computer

i set the computer to boot from external ssd

i had parallels on the external drive and it seems to have made a backup which has now filled the drive to maximum capacity

if I try to boot the computer, I can log in but the white progress bar gets to about 95% and then stops

i tried accessing the drive from a windows pc connected by usb but I had used FileVault on the Mac so the drive is not readable from pc

do I have to ersase and reinstall the operating system or is there any other solution to this?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
Reinstall a copy on another external drive and boot into that, then plug in the original drive and remove the back up?
Hold down the Option Key (Alt) and choose the original internal drive at startup?

Then delete the Parellels backup snapshot
Edited by: "Uridium" 10th Jun
Uridium10/06/2020 09:33

Hold down the Option Key (Alt) and choose the original internal drive at …Hold down the Option Key (Alt) and choose the original internal drive at startup?Then delete the Parellels backup snapshot

I tried that, but the external drive is not showing in finder if I do this.

Curiously, the external disk is shown if I look in disk utilities. (and I have run the "first aid" on it using this method) but still having the problem
Daaaavvveee10/06/2020 07:39

Reinstall a copy on another external drive and boot into that, then plug …Reinstall a copy on another external drive and boot into that, then plug in the original drive and remove the back up?

I tried that, but the external drive is not showing in finder if I do this.

Curiously, the external disk is shown if I look in disk utilities. (and I have run the "first aid" on it using this method) but still having the problem
Helpful56710/06/2020 09:46

I tried that, but the external drive is not showing in finder if I do …I tried that, but the external drive is not showing in finder if I do this.Curiously, the external disk is shown if I look in disk utilities. (and I have run the "first aid" on it using this method) but still having the problem

In disk utilities there should be an option to unlock the drive rather than repair it...enter the password to decrypt it

Or you just might need to Mount it in disk utility for it to be visible in finder and then choose the decrypt option in finder.

Afraid I have recently sodl my last Mac thoguh so this is all from memory ;-)
Uridium10/06/2020 09:49

In disk utilities there should be an option to unlock the drive rather …In disk utilities there should be an option to unlock the drive rather than repair it...enter the password to decrypt itOr you just might need to Mount it in disk utility for it to be visible in finder and then choose the decrypt option in finder.Afraid I have recently sodl my last Mac thoguh so this is all from memory ;-)

41040115-PBrUg.jpg
I have looked for this option but "mount" is greyed out, so the computer will not let me do this
Edited by: "Helpful567" 10th Jun
the screen shot was really small on the last post.

I have uploaded a bigger file, so it should be easier to read

Any help gratefully received

41040161-rENeU.jpg
Edited by: "Helpful567" 10th Jun
If you right click the drive in the Left pane is there no unlock option?
Another thought....boot into MacOS recovery and run disk utility from there and try to unlock the drive

Depending on the MacOS version you may have to do this from command line

derflounder.wordpress.com/201…ve/
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants