Groups
    EXPIRED

    Mac Mini - Buy now or October?

    I was planning on waiting till October to upgrade my old iMac to a Mac Mini so I can get the latest Leopard OS bundled with it but Apple have now increased the specs on the £399 model...

    store.apple.com/App…ini

    If I knew the same model would be £399 in October with Leopard then I would wait but what's the likelihood that they will increase the price when Leopard comes out?

    Anyone in the know on how they usually do it?

    14 Comments

    Original Poster

    * Bump *

    Banned

    wait for the new mac os

    Why not buy pc with Windows Vista?

    Original Poster

    I've been using Mac's for 13 years, there's no way I would move to PC's now.

    That's like asking a Millwall fan to start supporting West Ham instead :giggle:

    Money Spinning

    I was planning on waiting till October to upgrade my old iMac to a Mac … I was planning on waiting till October to upgrade my old iMac to a Mac Mini so I can get the latest Leopard OS bundled with it but Apple have now increased the specs on the £399 model...http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=9A42D2A0&node=home/desktop/mac_miniIf I knew the same model would be £399 in October with Leopard then I would wait but what's the likelihood that they will increase the price when Leopard comes out?Anyone in the know on how they usually do it?



    i would wait till the new OS is released in October. The new model was released with iLife 08 yesterday. If you have anyone in your household doing any form of education you can get your mac mini even cheaper from the Apple online education store @ £374.83 but if you wait till october you could buy the top spec mac mini for £468.83.
    There will not b e a price rise in october because of the OS upgrade!

    Simon

    go for it now...tiger is miles ahead of any other os anyway and you will get i'life 08 as a bonus anyway....the leopard upgrade will be no more than 50/60 quid in october

    Original Poster

    There will not b e a price rise in october because of the OS upgrade!



    You sound sure, is that just a hunch or based on anything?

    Unfortunately we don't qualify for the education discount.

    Money Spinning

    You sound sure, is that just a hunch or based on anything?Unfortunately … You sound sure, is that just a hunch or based on anything?Unfortunately we don't qualify for the education discount.



    I can't remember them doing a price bump for Tiger and it wouldn't make sense for them to do it with Leopard either.

    Well if you want the latest OS, then it will not hurt to wait.

    If you buy it now, you'd have to purchase the OS separately in October.

    If you wait and they rise the price, it will still probably be cheaper than it'd cost you to get them both individually.

    But I don't think there will be a price rise. I'm waiting for October so I can purchase my Macbook Pro : ]

    What new features will the OS upgrade bring (not a mac user myself but many uni colleagues are, just out of general interest...)? Its still a sub-version upgrade isnt it (ie 10.x)?

    Also I thought it was a bit more than £60 for the annual upgrade, but I wait to be corrected

    Original Poster

    I have asked on the Apple forums too and the advice seems similar and that it's unlikely that their will be a price rise so I have decided to wait.

    What new features will the OS upgrade bring (not a mac user myself but … What new features will the OS upgrade bring (not a mac user myself but many uni colleagues are, just out of general interest...)? Its still a sub-version upgrade isnt it (ie 10.x)?



    Take a look ]here - it will have been 2 years since Tiger the current OS by the time it comes out.

    Also I thought it was a bit more than £60 for the annual upgrade, but I … Also I thought it was a bit more than £60 for the annual upgrade, but I wait to be corrected



    Indeed, it's usually £100, it makes no difference to price if you have the previous OSX or not the price remains the same.

    I've been told that the price for leopard will be around the same as the current price for tiger. So it wont break the bank for early adopters unlike some other OS upgrades I could mention.

    If you need the machine any time soon I wouldn't wait! Apple are currently experiencing record Mac sales (up 33% since the release of Windows Vista, coincidence? I think not :giggle:) so there's a bit of a backlog of orders and that's only going to get worse when the new OS comes out.

    megalomaniac

    I've been told that the price for leopard will be around the same as the … I've been told that the price for leopard will be around the same as the current price for tiger. So it wont break the bank unlike some other OS upgrades I could mention.If you need the machine any time soon I wouldn't wait! Apple are currently experiencing record Mac sales (up 33% since the release of Windows Vista, coincidence? I think not :giggle:) so there's a bit of a backlog of orders and that's only going to get worse when the new OS comes out.




    I totally agree :thumbsup:

    Original Poster

    I have decided to wait till October, Leopard will probably be £99.99 so if I can get that bundled instead of Tiger then it will be worth the wait.

    My trusty old 600Mhz Snow iMac will see me through till then!

    My daughter still has a 400Mhz 1998 iMac going strong!

    That's what I love about Macs, they go on forever.

    Money Spinning

    I have decided to wait till October, Leopard will probably be £99.99 so … I have decided to wait till October, Leopard will probably be £99.99 so if I can get that bundled instead of Tiger then it will be worth the wait.My trusty old 600Mhz Snow iMac will see me through till then!My daughter still has a 400Mhz 1998 iMac going strong!That's what I love about Macs, they go on forever.



    Wasn't it quoted as being £129.99 or was that $$$?

    I would wait 6-7 weeks and then look on the 'refurbished' part of the apple store, as the mac mini would come with 12 month warranty and have all the new software with it - even though Apple sell it as refurb.

    Then ring them up and order over the phone and if you are a student they might knock some more off the discount price, it is unlikely but worth a shot.
    Post a comment
    Avatar
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1841335
      2. Toys R Us may soon be Toys No More - USA possibly filing for Bankruptcy2425
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767171
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047080

      See more discussions