Found 12th Oct 2016
It's time for me to move away from laptop. Need something that I can connect to TV and use wireless mouse/keyboard. Also will get a monitor in Christmas.

What would you recommend?
It will be used for light photo editing. Web browsing, transferring larges files between hard drives (USB 3.0) - External.

I'm done with laptops. Big players eg Sony, SAMSUNG left this market. They had really top quality laptops. Acer, ASUS, Toshiba not my liking.

11 Comments

Mac Mini.

Look in to a Hackintosh. Search: tonymacx86. Here's an example hackintosh:
youtu.be/GRX…uzk

I got an Alienware alpha from the dell outlet site quite cheap and it's fairly capable for what you want. The Mac mini is decent but the ram options and lack of dedicated graphics turned me away.

Original Poster

WestMidlands

Mac Mini.

Do you have one?
Do you know the rough speed of USB 3.0 transfer from or to external USB hard drive?

Laptop I got has USB 2.0 ports and max out around 26MB write and 37MB transfer.

imagineS

Do you have one?Do you know the rough speed of USB 3.0 transfer from or … Do you have one?Do you know the rough speed of USB 3.0 transfer from or to external USB hard drive?Laptop I got has USB 2.0 ports and max out around 26MB write and 37MB transfer.

I have one. Had it since 2011, I use it for software development never had to use USB transfer. I have a cd drive as I still burn discs. Check out tonymac. I would never buy a Apple Mac desktop. MacBook Pro yes but not desktop. Only thing worthy is the apple displays.

Dannyrobbo

I got an Alienware alpha from the dell outlet site quite cheap and it's … I got an Alienware alpha from the dell outlet site quite cheap and it's fairly capable for what you want. The Mac mini is decent but the ram options and lack of dedicated graphics turned me away.

For me it's the OS.

Dannyrobbo

I got an Alienware alpha from the dell outlet site quite cheap and it's … I got an Alienware alpha from the dell outlet site quite cheap and it's fairly capable for what you want. The Mac mini is decent but the ram options and lack of dedicated graphics turned me away.

Get me osx on a dell and I'll be happy

WestMidlands

Get me osx on a dell and I'll be happy

Hackintosh?

abzycar

Hackintosh?

Not easily possible with laptops

imagineS

Do you have one?Do you know the rough speed of USB 3.0 transfer from or … Do you have one?Do you know the rough speed of USB 3.0 transfer from or to external USB hard drive?Laptop I got has USB 2.0 ports and max out around 26MB write and 37MB transfer.

USB 3 does several hundred megabytes per second so the drives become the limit rather than the computer unless you're transferring between SSDs.

Your shortlist is an interesting one, Why those two models of MiniPC specifically? Neither are particularly compelling. The Brix models with desktop processors have always been rather noisy and while the lower power ones with laptop processors are much better and more popular, they're also lower power. The Mac Mini on the other hand hasn't been updated since 2014 so it's slightly out of date and it's also rather expensive in a sensible configuration (its memory is not upgradable after purchase, so the 4GB model can be ruled out)

There are lots of brands making MiniPCs these days. As well as the long term supporters like Fujitsu (Q556 & Q956 current models) just about every desktop maker has models these days (although be sure to check the business ranges as well). Dell, HP, Asus, Lenovo and Acer all do models with desktop processors. Intel's 'Skull Canyon' is also pretty comparable with the lower power desktop quad cores.

The biggest question for recommending a model is what storage do you need on the computer? If you don't store that much on the computer itself then an SSD will make the system feel more responsive. But not many computers come pre-built with large SSDs so you'd have to add one yourself (for a couple of hundred quid) or settle for a slower hard drive or hybrid setup.

WestMidlands

Not easily possible with laptops

It can be done easily with a little hacking! It's what you will use it for that'll determine it tbh. I don't really like OS X because it feels like it's gone too much like iOS. I nearly bought one to run as a small plex server before I went for the dell
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. word association Game74244871
    2. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322826
    3. Misco about to go into administration912
    4. Add one, leave one game54315392

See more discussions