Mac OS X Sierra issue

Found 5th Nov 2017
Hi all,

I have an issue that I cannot resolve. I’ve doesn’t the majority of the day trying to resolve this and have even been into Apple (got turned away and told to book in)

So - I download a dmg file and when I go to mount it mounts however - under the image (on the desktop) it states VLC 2.2.1 which I downloaded and then deleted due to not needing it. When I then try and open the image it does nothing.

The above happens regardless of the dmg I download.

When I re-downloaded VLC (to check if it still did this) it mounts and under the image it states Skype:/

Does anyone know what’s going on?

I’ve deleted all dmg files and emptied trash etc. It still does the above.

Any help is greatly appreciated:)

Whoever resolved this can have a unidays discount code of their choice:)

Thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
13 Comments

reddit.com/r/M…nt/

Looks like a new bug, try mounting and then unmounting a dmg.

VLC the media player?

I might be saying something stupid but in Windows you can have a specific application open a certain file extension. Of course if I try to open a pdf with Windows media player, for example, it won't work.
You can easily correct that.

I have a Mac too but not sure if on Mac it works the same and somehow the dmg extension has been assigned to be opened with VLC or something else and therefore it won't open correctly.

I might have misunderstood the issue as well but thought I'd give my two cents about it.
Edited by: "hearts22" 6th Nov 2017

Original Poster

hearts2244 m ago

VLC the media player? I might be saying something stupid but in Windows …VLC the media player? I might be saying something stupid but in Windows you can have a specific application open a certain file extension. Of course if I try to open a pdf with Windows media player, for example, it won't work. You can easily correct that.I have a Mac too but not sure if on Mac it works the same and somehow the dmg extension has been assigned to be opened with VLC or something else and therefore it won't open correctly.I might have misunderstood the issue as well but thought I'd give my two cents about it.

Thanks for the reply.
You are correct, vlc the media player.
I have the built in Mac application mounter to open dmg files.
This was the first thing I checked.
It appears to be the address directions of all my apps are mixed up.
It doesn’t matter what I try to open, it cannot open any dmg files and always states it with a different name:(

Original Poster

kester7612 h, 59 m ago

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/7380yq/dmg_files_will_not_mount_or_mount_with_different/Looks like a new bug, try mounting and then unmounting a dmg.

Thanks for the message.
It does not change anything when I reboot.
I might have wipe and restart

nrackham7635 m ago

Thanks for the message.It does not change anything when I reboot.I might …Thanks for the message.It does not change anything when I reboot.I might have wipe and restart

Are you using a laptop?

Have you tried these 2 things?

ps OP. Don't share Unidays discount codes, they'll permanently 'suspend' your account
Edited by: "OllieSt" 6th Nov 2017

Try Apple chat. They might be able to assist you that way.

Original Poster

hearts222 h, 4 m ago

Try Apple chat. They might be able to assist you that way.

Sorted it:)

Original Poster

OllieSt7 h, 30 m ago

Are you using a laptop?Have you tried these 2 things?ps OP. Don't share …Are you using a laptop?Have you tried these 2 things?ps OP. Don't share Unidays discount codes, they'll permanently 'suspend' your account

It’s sorted!! I had to do do an update, then restart my MacBook which took 30 minutes.
That sorted the issue, still not sure what it was though

Original Poster

nrackham7631 s ago

It’s sorted!! I had to do do an update, then restart my MacBook which t …It’s sorted!! I had to do do an update, then restart my MacBook which took 30 minutes. That sorted the issue, still not sure what it was though

And as for my unidays, I don’t mind if I get banned, the account cost me a fiver on eBay:)

Original Poster

kester7621 h, 2 m ago

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/7380yq/dmg_files_will_not_mount_or_mount_with_different/Looks like a new bug, try mounting and then unmounting a dmg.

It appears you helped:) let me know if you want a unidays code via pm

nrackham7641 m ago

It’s sorted!! I had to do do an update, then restart my MacBook which t …It’s sorted!! I had to do do an update, then restart my MacBook which took 30 minutes. That sorted the issue, still not sure what it was though

Glad you got it working was probably a bug they introduced in the last update which they've just fixed.

nrackham7641 m ago

It appears you helped:) let me know if you want a unidays code via pm

I wouldn't know what to do with it, thanks anyway
Post a comment
@
    Text