Groups
    EXPIRED

MacBook

To cut a long story short, I'm looking at getting my girlfriend a MacBook for Christmas, my question is are they worth it? We both have iPads & iPhones what additional use will she Get from a MacBook? I bought her a sony vaio a couple of ŷears ago on windows 8 however she hates the whole OS & has probably used it about 5 times... I'm not interested in any windows PCs, just MacBook's cheers

16 Comments

Well, if you both already have iPads, then you will only really need a MacBook if you want to do things you cannot do (or cannot do as easily) on an iPad. I would think that would include advanced word processing, image editing, advanced web browsing, managing music/photos/files (i.e. have more space for those), etc. If you do not need all this, you may not need a MacBook...

Apart from that, the latest OS (Yosemite) is superb, and runs very smoothly even on our 2010 MacBook. With her knowledge of iOS on iPad and iPhone, she will not have e any problems. Apple's desktop OS is slowly merging with its mobile OS anyway.

For me it is the other way round. We have a MacBook but no iPads of iPhones. We realised we do not need an iPad as it does not add anything to our MacBook. (We do not have iPhones, because we cannot afford them.)

Edited by: "Resali" 7th Dec 2014

I have a macbook pro for home use but use windows 7 at work. I haven't tried windows 8 and don't really want to from reviews I have heard. Whilst I love Apple products for their excellent build quality a mac would be no good for me at work. Computers, like phones are very much a personal thing and are not so easy to learn (in my opinion). I know my way around windows very well upto windows 7 and also have ipod touch and my son has an iphone 5 so am familiar with the OS but from a phone point I prefer android.

I have windows running in the background on my mac so have the best of both worlds. Mac build quality with windows OS as well if I need to do any work at home that is directly compatible with my work files.

The great thing about apple apart from the build quality is the easy synchronisation of all of your files across all apple devices. It depends what you think she will use the laptop for. Will she use the laptop for any work related issues other than email and if so what OS does she use at work.

For me I prefer to use Outlook on windows compared to Mail on mac. Word or Pages I find no real difference but the biggest loser for me on the mac is numbers. I find it is rubbish compared to Excel on windows. It just doesn't work for me although it has some interesting features.

I love the mac and if mine was to break today and I couldn't get it fixed I would definitely buy a mac again. You could always take windows 8 off your laptop and put on windows 7. This will be far cheaper than buying a mac.

yeah, you really start getting the benefits of the iPhone and iPad when you use a mac
    for example, i could be looking at a webpage on my phone, and with the click of a button i can get it on my laptop
    i could sign up to a website on my iPad, next time i sign in on my laptop, the password is saved in my saved passwords
    i can work on a document on my macbook then open it on my iPad or phone
    i can set reminders on my macbook and set them for a time when i'm out with my phone, the phone will remind me at the set time
    i can send iMessages using my phone number from my laptop
    i can sign in to someone's wifi using my laptop. next time i go round, my phone will automatically connect to the wifi

and so on.....

it's also really easy and fun to use
    built amazingly, the quality, the durability and the aesthetics are all superior to every windows machine i've used
    ditto the software
    it keeps a fair bit of resale value

there are lots of reasons to get one, but if you're already invested into the iOS ecosystem, it's really a no-brainer if you can spare the extra expense.

DennisG

yeah, you really start getting the benefits of the iPhone and iPad when … yeah, you really start getting the benefits of the iPhone and iPad when you use a macfor example, i could be looking at a webpage on my phone, and with the click of a button i can get it on my laptopi could sign up to a website on my iPad, next time i sign in on my laptop, the password is saved in my saved passwordsi can work on a document on my macbook then open it on my iPad or phonei can set reminders on my macbook and set them for a time when i'm out with my phone, the phone will remind me at the set timei can send iMessages using my phone number from my laptopi can sign in to someone's wifi using my laptop. next time i go round, my phone will automatically connect to the wifiand so on.....it's also really easy and fun to usebuilt amazingly, the quality, the durability and the aesthetics are all superior to every windows machine i've usedditto the softwareit keeps a fair bit of resale valuethere are lots of reasons to get one, but if you're already invested into the iOS ecosystem, it's really a no-brainer if you can spare the extra expense.

Yes, mac have the best synchronisation for their products.

The fact that she's only tried it five times suggests she doesn't have much use for a laptop so I'd suspect spending a thousand pounds or more on another slightly different one is going to be a waste of money.

If she'd been using it regularly, tried third party programs that modified or circumvented the parts she didn't like and still couldn't get on with it then yeah I'd look into alternatives but from your description of how the last laptop was received I wouldn't bother.

Original Poster

Thanks for your comments guys all of them have been helpful, we have 3 laptops in the house, a samsung running vista, the viao using W8 & a work laptop levono running W7! I think she would use a Mac more but I guess if she really needed. Laptop she would of got to know the W8 operating system... I don't know what to do!!!

It sounds like she does not need a laptop. If she's not using the existing ones you have she doesn't have a need for one. Mac's are great, but they are still tools. If she had a job to do where she needed a laptop then one of your existing ones would probably work anyway.

At the risk of being sexist, if you want to spend big money then you could try jewelry or a short break?

As you all have iDevices, get yourselves an Apple TV, you'll both get a lot out of that, especially if you take lots of photos and want to show them on the big screen.

DennisG

yeah, you really start getting the benefits of the iPhone and iPad when … yeah, you really start getting the benefits of the iPhone and iPad when you use a macfor example, i could be looking at a webpage on my phone, and with the click of a button i can get it on my laptopi could sign up to a website on my iPad, next time i sign in on my laptop, the password is saved in my saved passwordsi can work on a document on my macbook then open it on my iPad or phonei can set reminders on my macbook and set them for a time when i'm out with my phone, the phone will remind me at the set timei can send iMessages using my phone number from my laptopi can sign in to someone's wifi using my laptop. next time i go round, my phone will automatically connect to the wifiand so on.....it's also really easy and fun to usebuilt amazingly, the quality, the durability and the aesthetics are all superior to every windows machine i've usedditto the softwareit keeps a fair bit of resale valuethere are lots of reasons to get one, but if you're already invested into the iOS ecosystem, it's really a no-brainer if you can spare the extra expense.

You do understand the first two are just browser specific you can do this on Chrome and Firefox across any platform which has the browser.
    The rest, excluding texts in the UK (being trialled in the US and Canada) can be done via Google/Android on pretty much any platform.
    imo it's terrible if you have to have a MacBook to be able to do that for Apple products.

joedastudd

You do understand the first two are just browser specific you can do this … You do understand the first two are just browser specific you can do this on Chrome and Firefox across any platform which has the browser.The rest, excluding texts in the UK (being trialled in the US and Canada) can be done via Google/Android on pretty much any platform.imo it's terrible if you have to have a MacBook to be able to do that for Apple products.

I have chrome on all my devices, but the ease with which i can go from machine to another is not there
    i have android, a windows 8 laptop and mac, and in no way does it compare to the experience of using OS X and iOS together. I suspect you haven't actually fully experienced this because it works straight out of the box with minimal fuss and bother and no need to search for awkward 3rd party workarounds that barely offer similar functionality

DennisG

You do realise that you can do the vast majority, if not all of the above on any computer and not just a Mac?

that has just been said
    but the most popular alternative platform(s) don't offer it to any comparable degree.
    try getting your android phone, surface pro and chromebook to play together as seamlessly in so many ways as an iPhone, iPad and mac. like i say, until you've used it and experienced it first-hand, and have also used the alternatives, you won't appreciate this
    and anyway, the guy already has an iPhone and iPad so was telling him about the specific advantages of bringing a mac into play

She's used her laptop 5 times in 8 years?

That seems a little crazy

Original Poster

Comment[quote=sancho1983]She's used her laptop 5 times in 8 years?

That seems a little crazy

No she's used it 5 times in 2 years, she finds the W7 OS better for work & uses that for work even though the viao has much better specs...
    So she uses a laptop but her older work one

frankiemcmahon

Comment[quote=sancho1983]She's used her laptop 5 times in 8 years?That … Comment[quote=sancho1983]She's used her laptop 5 times in 8 years?That seems a little crazyNo she's used it 5 times in 2 years, she finds the W7 OS better for work & uses that for work even though the viao has much better specs...So she uses a laptop but her older work one

Sorry. My brain forgot how to brain the other day when I read that. I've recently bought a macbook and love it. So muchquicker than my old llaptop

i actually bought a macbook pro on black friday, have a friend that works in john lewis. manage to get about £210 off official price on it. macs are really really good devices. this is my first ever mac ive owned and its beautiful. i bought the macbook pro retina 13inch i5 with 8gb ram. they are super fast due to the flash hard drive and also the light operating system. macs also optimise their ram so multi tasking is crazy fast. worth every single penny. im a broke student (now), and im saying its totally worth it.

sdman786

i actually bought a macbook pro on black friday, have a friend that works … i actually bought a macbook pro on black friday, have a friend that works in john lewis. manage to get about £210 off official price on it. macs are really really good devices. this is my first ever mac ive owned and its beautiful. i bought the macbook pro retina 13inch i5 with 8gb ram. they are super fast due to the flash hard drive and also the light operating system. macs also optimise their ram so multi tasking is crazy fast. worth every single penny. im a broke student (now), and im saying its totally worth it.

Had mine for about 6 months now. No matter what it's going to cost me, I'm never going back to a non-Mac. iPhone - iPad - Apple TV - Mac Book = perfect!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How easy is it to get a refund from Halfords?59
      2. Whats a Good VPN to use please?1821
      3. Does anybody have a ( Uni days code) I can use for ( TomTom) please11
      4. Query on retail selling on beer22

See more discussions