Groups
    EXPIRED

Macbook 2.0ghz - Any ideas?

Hey all, I am looking for a macbook, 2.0ghz, the one that is susually £699

I am trying to find a good deal on one of these, cant so far lol!!

There is PC Worlds current free office with one, and comet do it for a tenner cheaper, but nothing worth dancing about.

Anyone have any ideas?

14 Comments

Either get a student to buy it for you or keep an eye on the refurb shop for stock.

Original Poster

hey, thanks for your reply.

i was thinking that, but can you get student discount in the stores also? or is it just online.

Any other ideas? I wouldnt like a refurb one lol!

just online I believe, could be wrong!

refurb ones are good as new tbh! I'd rather get a cheaper refurb one with better spec than a new one without a superdrive.

Original Poster

i was thinking of that to be honest, I would like the superdrive but I dont write many dvd's.

If I need to I could always make the image and write it on my pc lol!

If you are a student like myself, then you can pick that up that macbook for £601 delivered. You can get instore at an Apple store, online, or over the phone for that price.

You could save a lot of money off an iPod, with their 'back to school' campaign which allows you to save £100 off an iPod. Should launch in September.

Or indeed if anyone you're buying it for is a student The guy I spoke to practically said "just say it's for a student and I can do the discount" lol

Original Poster

well I got it today, I dont live too close to a mac store so I went to PC WORLD!, dont get me started lol.

However, if you are a pc guy, moving to a mac, like I am, the offer of FREE mac office with any macbook is not a bad deal. Its £129 worth, so I took advantage of it.

I only seemed to get £40 off for students online, so I thought this would be better, all I had to do is put up with pc worlds horrible sales experience lol!

thanks all for the help!

PS, I love it!!!

lindendavies

well I got it today, I dont live too close to a mac store so I went to PC … well I got it today, I dont live too close to a mac store so I went to PC WORLD!, dont get me started lol. However, if you are a pc guy, moving to a mac, like I am, the offer of FREE mac office with any macbook is not a bad deal. Its £129 worth, so I took advantage of it. I only seemed to get £40 off for students online, so I thought this would be better, all I had to do is put up with pc worlds horrible sales experience lol!thanks all for the help!PS, I love it!!!

Congrats but I hope you didn't get old stock, the pc world here doesn't have the latest versions of the Macs in store!

Original Poster

phew, just checked, thanks for telling me, I have the latest one thank good ness. (MB061B/A)

I too was gonna wait for the os, but I want to get used to it all before I go away c, so I thought I would buy now lol!

lindendavies

I too was gonna wait for the os, but I want to get used to it all before … I too was gonna wait for the os, but I want to get used to it all before I go away c, so I thought I would buy now lol!

yeah... the only reason im resisting atm is the fact that i dont have the money yet..(grr). What do people know about the bootcamp utility, can you create a windows partition at any time?

scienceman

yeah... the only reason im resisting atm is the fact that i dont have the … yeah... the only reason im resisting atm is the fact that i dont have the money yet..(grr). What do people know about the bootcamp utility, can you create a windows partition at any time?

Boot camp info here: ]http//ww…mp/

i am also only getting £40 off online? anyone know why this is?

Cheers Sean

if you go through an institution network ie university network, it comes out at £601.60, which is a 14% discount.....whereas through the other education link it only gives 6% (£42 discount).
    I think both discounts are lower than they use to be, via the higher ed link it should be around 15-20% and the other ed link abount 8-10%.

Maybes this is because we are not currently in the academic year, so it may cost less when we are.

I do remember an email from apple that mentioned last chance to buy before summers holidays. So maybe they do lower the discount during the summer.

The HE discount used to essentially give you the ex-VAT price for hardware so it does seem to be less generous than it once was. The current discount is about the same as it was in June though. At least you still get your 3 years warranty (rather than standard 1 year) with the reduced price to convert it to full AppleCare.

If you are buying hardware at the Education store, don't buy any software from the 'Customize' page as you get charged the standard prices (e.g. iWork for £47 instead of £35 or Aperture for £188 instead of £89). Buy it discounted from the Software page itself and add it to the basket.

And QuidCo helps too.

And if you are likely to watch DVDs from different regions on your MacBook, don't bother with a SuperDrive and get an external DVD-rewriter as you can only change the region code five times on the built-in drive (hardware and software lock). Use VLC with the external drive and you can watch any DVDs you like as well as burning them. You'll also be able to make use of discs which are smaller than 8 cm or oddly shaped without their getting stuck.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains1211
      2. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…55
      3. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon44
      4. Review Hub Monthly Competition - Win a OnePlus 5!88

See more discussions