MacBook

Found 20th Oct 2017
Taking away the price component, how would you rate the MacBook? I’m looking to buy a new laptop. I do a lot of typing so I need a backlit and good keyboard. I also need reliability and ease of use. Will a MacBook fit this criteria?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
8 Comments

I have a 2016 MacBook Pro 13 with touch bar. I like it however I had a 2013 MacBook Pro before it and prefer the keyboard on the older model, it was quieter and had a better feel. I like the screen, design and small light package of the new MacBook Pro though.

The MacBook is nice if portability is key but I would honestly get the Pro if you could as it has more USB ports and is more powerful with a better screen.

that aside MacBooks inc the Pro are over priced for their specs but they are a quality machine
Edited by: "mds1256" 20th Oct 2017

I just bought a MacBook Pro 2017 last week, yes you pay a premium but just think of it as trouble free computing for years to come, no having to worry about reliability or anything

The other thing to remember is that they hold their price a lot better. if you decide to upgrade in 5 years or so, a Windows laptop would be worth peanuts in comparison to its starting price and a MacBook, Apple products in general in fact, will be worth a considerably larger percentage of their starting price

Original Poster

All sounds good, I just want something that works rather than all the hassle of windows. Concerned about the keyboard, I will try a couple out. It will be used mainly for writing, surfing the net and watching videos. There does seem to be a lot of specs and machines. Any advice in that area?

Cakeboy792 h, 29 m ago

The other thing to remember is that they hold their price a lot better. …The other thing to remember is that they hold their price a lot better. if you decide to upgrade in 5 years or so, a Windows laptop would be worth peanuts in comparison to its starting price and a MacBook, Apple products in general in fact, will be worth a considerably larger percentage of their starting price

Re holding there price better than a windows laptop ;

yes they do, BUT, its swings and roundabouts depending on how often you upgrade.

i.e. a £1000 mac should fetch around £500 in 4/5 years time, sell and renew with a new £1200ish mac and your overall spend is around the £1700 figure for up to 10 years use of a mac.

Compare this to a windows laptop, and a £600 machine upgraded every 3 years would see around the same figure, depending on re-sale value.

One could argue the case for each machine depending on your preference, mac users argue the increaseed re-sale value of a used mac, and windows users argue the case that a siilar spec machine can be had for less.

But, to answer the OP, yes a Mac, when disregarding the price factor, is head and shoulders over a windows laptop IMHO, build quality and aftercare is excellent.

4 years with MacBook air used for uni, work and personal stuff . Had a fan broken 2hich was replaced within 20min on warranty. Upgraded the storage from 128 to 512 and it doesn't look like it will die anytime soon paid 700 quid and at the time there was nothing better with that size specs and battery life
Edited by: "mattsk" 21st Oct 2017

I would be looking for a 2012/2011 MacBook Pro i7 for what you need, if you are ok with the weight. 8 gb ram would be handy
Gumtree would be a good place to search.
I repair computers, and in the last 10 years I have had only 2 Apple computers to fix, 1 hardware, 1 software. That must tell you something.
Edited by: "Sambat" 21st Oct 2017

I have an Apple Magic keyboard that I use rather than laptop keyboard, I much prefer it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions