MacBook Air 11.6 MD712 Good Deal?

Found 20th Aug 2017
I found this refurbished macbook on Groupon for £499. Can anyone tell me if it's a good deal?

MacBook Air 11.6 MD712
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
make sure you pay using paypal
Second hand Apple PCs are generally very poor deals against competition that was similarly priced when new.

If Mac OS is essential then I would at least go for a top spec one as they're typically not upgradable and 4GB of ram isn't much
Seems a very good deal!!! Macs hold their value really well.
Dannyrobbo1 h, 57 m ago

Seems a very good deal!!! Macs hold their value really well.

That's a bad thing if you want to buy one...
EndlessWaves10 m ago

That's a bad thing if you want to buy one...

We get it, you don't like Macs and you probably own a Xiaomi phone, either way it's still a good price for a MacBook.
It's an Early 2014 model, so 3.5 years old now. I wouldn't, not from Groupon anyway. They're not exactly known for their service, and the deal is fulfilled by GoldBoxDeals (who?). Given the age and the fact that Groupon isn't very generous with how they classify their items (an Amazon Warehouse used item is most likely going to be in much better condition than a refurb through Groupon), it's risky.

Even through a reputable seller, only get it if you really, really need a Macbook Air and this is the most you can spend. Yes - it's held it's value decently until now, but if you keep it for 3 years, it'll be 6.5 years old, probably unsupported (if it's even still working), and will be worth much less. So the person who buys it now is the one who's probably going to lose out from the "second hand Macs are still worth something" bump.
Great thanks for the feedback!
copland1002 m ago

Great thanks for the feedback!

If you really want a Mac and don't mind getting used, Apple Refurbs are (at least all the times I know of anyone who's bought one) almost as good as new. Of course they're not as cheap as that, but they're also much more up to date. Keep watching this site as different models/configurations get added regularly.

apple.com/uk/…mac
Muir4 m ago

If you really want a Mac and don't mind getting used, Apple Refurbs are …If you really want a Mac and don't mind getting used, Apple Refurbs are (at least all the times I know of anyone who's bought one) almost as good as new. Of course they're not as cheap as that, but they're also much more up to date. Keep watching this site as different models/configurations get added regularly.https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

I was going to get my son one for Christmas but really can't afford new, so thanks I will.
copland1008 m ago

I was going to get my son one for Christmas but really can't afford new, …I was going to get my son one for Christmas but really can't afford new, so thanks I will.

Could go for one of the big iPads instead? Those are a bit more affordable and probably better for watching videos etc.
Muir1 h, 6 m ago

Could go for one of the big iPads instead? Those are a bit more affordable …Could go for one of the big iPads instead? Those are a bit more affordable and probably better for watching videos etc.

He's 21 and does a lot of gaming. I know gaming pc's/ laptops are expensive so I thought a MacBook would be a good alternative, I'm probably wrong! We have an iMac for the family and he loves it but would love one of his own.
copland10057 m ago

He's 21 and does a lot of gaming. I know gaming pc's/ laptops are …He's 21 and does a lot of gaming. I know gaming pc's/ laptops are expensive so I thought a MacBook would be a good alternative, I'm probably wrong! We have an iMac for the family and he loves it but would love one of his own.

100% don't get him a Macbook Air then. It's not going to be able to run many new-ish games at all, let alone well. Does he currently game on a PC? If so, most of his games probably won't run on a Mac.

If he currently owns a desktop PC, how about buying some upgrade components, e.g. a new graphics card? That would work much better for gaming.
Muir43 m ago

100% don't get him a Macbook Air then. It's not going to be able to run …100% don't get him a Macbook Air then. It's not going to be able to run many new-ish games at all, let alone well. Does he currently game on a PC? If so, most of his games probably won't run on a Mac.If he currently owns a desktop PC, how about buying some upgrade components, e.g. a new graphics card? That would work much better for gaming.

Oh good Lord it just got a whole lot more complicated! I'll forget about a MacBook then.

He has a ps4 and plays some games on the Mac but has been asking about a gaming pc/laptop for a year or so but I never considered it because of the price. He has talked about building his own before so maybe upgrading is an idea.

Or I'll just get him a lynx gift set
copland10049 m ago

Oh good Lord it just got a whole lot more complicated! I'll forget about a …Oh good Lord it just got a whole lot more complicated! I'll forget about a MacBook then.He has a ps4 and plays some games on the Mac but has been asking about a gaming pc/laptop for a year or so but I never considered it because of the price. He has talked about building his own before so maybe upgrading is an idea.Or I'll just get him a lynx gift set

If you're happy building a PC (it's kind of fun, and not that difficult), then I'd advise you to start a new thread about it, lots of people here have some good ideas. It's much cheaper and easier to get a decent desktop PC that can handle a good range of games, than it is to get a laptop or Mac (any kind) that can do the same.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants