Groups

Macbook connection to a TV

Hello all

is it possible to connect my macbook to a tv?

If so,what wire(s) will I need.

Im gonna get a tv for me daughters bedroom and instead of getting set top boxes etc,I would just rather link up the Macbook to the tv so she watch stuff like cbbc etc.

Thanks for looking!

4 Comments

Which model of macbook? Apple has changed their video output several times over the last few years.

Basically you'll need an appropriate adapter from the macbook's video port to HDMI (which may be expensive) and then just a £3 HDMI cable to the TV. In the event that there isn't an adapter to HDMI you'll need to use one to DVI and then a DVI to HDMI cable and a seperate cable for sound (probably an optical cable of some sort, but that depends on what sound output your model of macbook has).

Original Poster

Not got a tv yet,still looking for one

Ive got the old macbook,the one which was all white in colour. the one before this latest release.

anyone got links to the kind of stuff that I need,so I can look out for them when im shopping. I love tech,but its a b1tch to keep up with it constantly evolving so quickly!!!

ta muchly for the replies guys.

Original Poster

dcx_badass;7369348

Well we can't do links till we know what connection your mac has (a pic … Well we can't do links till we know what connection your mac has (a pic of all the ports, or a link to the exact one would help) and what connections the TV has, I'd go down the VGA route instead of DVI/HDMI personally as I've found TV's to not like PC's over HDMI, where as VGA works fine. Also as you're using it a a monitor aswell get a 1080P TV, I do the same thing with my laptop and my 23" and 47" TVs.

Thanks again mate for replying.

I'll try and take some pics and post.

EN1GMA;7369273

Ive got the old macbook,the one which was all white in colour. the one … Ive got the old macbook,the one which was all white in colour. the one before this latest release.

Yes, but there were eight different models in that design using at least two different video output ports.

EN1GMA;7369273

anyone got links to the kind of stuff that I need,so I can look out for … anyone got links to the kind of stuff that I need,so I can look out for them when im shopping. I love tech,but its a b1tch to keep up with it constantly evolving so quickly!!!

It's just an HDMI cable and a mini display port to HDMI adapter. Neither are going to have any meaningful variations without being called something else.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What would be HELL to you?2952
      2. Whoops SNP...Grenfell style cladding all over Glasgow33
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would1020
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767357

See more discussions