Groups
    EXPIRED

MacBook from US or UK for Cheaper Price?

Hello,

I am after a Apple MacBook, have been a Windows user all these years, time for a smart switch? Can anyone point me if US Apple Store is cheaper than UK? I have heard there is a difference of few $100's?

I am new to mac, I'll be using it for leaning and programming app for iPhone as part of my Masters project. I am also a heavy pc/windows user, do you recommend me MacBook or MacBook Pro?

I know Apple Store UK (Education) provides great discount, but just wanted to make sure if I will be able to get better deal from US? I have a friend who is visiting London in couple of days, if probably US sounds cheaper I can ask her to get one for me.

I have been using iPhone for around 6 months and just love apple's elegance & innovation, and it's such a shame I have never used any apple product before iPhone! LOL

Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers

14 Comments

Unless you actually going to the states or in the states, it will work out more expensive, due to a) shipping b) vat + other taxes.
    Apple US store won't ship to UK anyway.

Education Store or Refurb store would be the cheapest UK way of purchase.

Original Poster

Celticsun;5268789

Unless you actually going to the states or in the states, it will work … Unless you actually going to the states or in the states, it will work out more expensive, due to a) shipping b) vat + other taxes.Apple US store won't ship to UK anyway.Education Store or Refurb store would be the cheapest UK way of purchase.

I've already mentioned, my mate is flying from US to London in couple of days, I wanted to know if it will work out cheap that way? :oops:

dcx_badass;5268790

13% off from the education store.

I'm aware of Education Store discount, but US Education store seems cheaper still, my mate is a Student so she could probably get the discount and bring it when she arrives in UK?

Cheers

we bought a laptop from the USA once but when it broke down had problems because we didnt take the full round the world coverage insurance so be careful to take out adequate insurance, and yes they are cheaper but when you add the insurance and the fact they might charge you for duty - unless your mate is willing to say it is an old one, in which case he posts all relevant documents and receipts to you and just carried the laptop back, but if they check they can see it is brand new

puls3;5268833

I've already mentioned, my mate is flying from US to London in couple of … I've already mentioned, my mate is flying from US to London in couple of days, I wanted to know if it will work out cheap that way? :oops:I'm aware of Education Store discount, but US Education store seems cheaper still, my mate is a Student so she could probably get the discount and bring it when she arrives in UK?Cheers

Sorry missed that bit about your mate :oops:

As it stands $1299 ($1249 through Edu) = £836 (£805)

£929 UK store About £808 through full education £873 by just flashing a student card

Refurb 2.4GHZ top spec Macbook Alum. Unibody £929

Only thing you need to be aware of is, your mate may get tapped for duty if he brings it in in a retail box all brand new and spangly

As far as I was aware Apple automatically has an international warranty, but you may want to check

Customs charges are usually import VAT (same rate as normal VAT) with an extra 3.5% on top so currently you're looking at increasing the price by 18.5% if customs charges are applied. Second hand or not doesn't matter.

The macbook has a 13.3" screen but with a 1280x800 resolution, the macbook pro adds a firewire port and expresscard/34 slot and comes with a 15" 1440x900 or a 17" 1920x1200 screen.

If you're looking for innovation then look elsewhere though, the macbooks (even the pro ones) are rather basic when it comes to features.

In addition to what has been said, towards the start of an academic year the Apple Store normally has special offers on. I may be mistaken, but I recall that either last Septmeber (08) or the pne prior to that (07) if you bought a MacBook you got a free engraved Ipod. so its worth considering....

Original Poster

EndlessWaves;5269259

Customs charges are usually import VAT (same rate as normal VAT) with an … Customs charges are usually import VAT (same rate as normal VAT) with an extra 3.5% on top so currently you're looking at increasing the price by 18.5% if customs charges are applied. Second hand or not doesn't matter.The macbook has a 13.3" screen but with a 1280x800 resolution, the macbook pro adds a firewire port and expresscard/34 slot and comes with a 15" 1440x900 or a 17" 1920x1200 screen.If you're looking for innovation then look elsewhere though, the macbooks (even the pro ones) are rather basic when it comes to features.

Thanks for the tip, I'd be mostly using it for developing/learning apps for iPhone.. so mostly educational/designing & programming purpose. Since I have to develop using Objective C on MacOS, I need grab one.

developing for the iphone on a macbook, with its 13' screen is a pain. it will drive you mad, so expect to buy a larger screen, a mouse, and a keyboard... this will bump up the price

if your friend was to buy it from the states, get them to buy it from a store that supports global refund - if it applies in america. that way, when they fly out of america you can get american taxes refunded.

as someone earlier said, if they come in with a boxed and new looking laptop, with manuals and receipt, expect customs to claim uk vat on it... that is, if it looks new

applecare which is the warranty scheme - i dont know if that is international, but you can buy cheap warrantys on ebay...

Original Poster

Looking at comments above, I am better off buying from UK Education Store = Less hassle!?

I've picked up numerous laptop from the States and never once had a problem bringing it back. Thousands of people fly every day with their laptops and customs aren't going to check each one to see if it's new and your trying to get around customs.

Nearly all laptop companies worth buying from have international warranties now due to the nature of the product - you travel with them! If it works out cheaper on your card, buy it there, ditch the packaging and bring it back with you. No one is going to say anything.

EndlessWaves;5269259

Customs charges are usually import VAT (same rate as normal VAT) with an … Customs charges are usually import VAT (same rate as normal VAT) with an extra 3.5% on top so currently you're looking at increasing the price by 18.5% if customs charges are applied. Second hand or not doesn't matter.The macbook has a 13.3" screen but with a 1280x800 resolution, the macbook pro adds a firewire port and expresscard/34 slot and comes with a 15" 1440x900 or a 17" 1920x1200 screen.If you're looking for innovation then look elsewhere though, the macbooks (even the pro ones) are rather basic when it comes to features.

I'm not sure that the "secondhand" provision applies where VAT is concerned. I imported a 15 year old guitar a couple of years ago and still had to pay 17.5% to Customs.

UberTiger;5277733

I've picked up numerous laptop from the States and never once had a … I've picked up numerous laptop from the States and never once had a problem bringing it back. Thousands of people fly every day with their laptops and customs aren't going to check each one to see if it's new and your trying to get around customs.Nearly all laptop companies worth buying from have international warranties now due to the nature of the product - you travel with them! If it works out cheaper on your card, buy it there, ditch the packaging and bring it back with you. No one is going to say anything.

I'm surprised that the mods on this site permit that kind of advice. Also, whilst many people might try to smuggle goods back for themselves, it takes someone of considerable guts to ask a friend to do it for you.

What happens if it's a gift?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cat Chat77736
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047154
      3. Fifa 18 web app Now active.44
      4. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1930

See more discussions