macbook insurance claim

Found 27th Dec 2011
thought someone on here may have some advice about this. my insurance company has rejected claim for broken macbook saying it's a portable device (worrying they add things like this in now) it was broken when my mum came through the celing from the loft and all the debris covered my room/desk, had a quote for repair and been told it's beyond repair. i'm going to try and fight the case and escalate the complaint as i think they are pulling a fast one.

anyway can they tell when it was powered up as if not i got 3 months free insurance which started that day as an additional bonus to other insurance i took out?

is there a way that if i send it off to the insurance company they can test to see when it was last powered up?

Thanks for any advice as always
Community Updates
MiscInsuranceMacBook
20 Comments
did a brick fall on it oO
If its beyond repair i dont think so! Hopefuly someone on here will have some beter advice for you. More to the point how is your mum?
The second option you are thinking of is called insurance fraud and not recommended mainly because it is illegal, but also because it's people who do this which increase the premiums for genuine people.
Well have a look at your insurance policy does it say they dont cover portable devices? Can you explain why it matters when it was last powered up? If it wont turn on now they wont repair it to try and find out.
What kind of insurance do you have?
"a brick" more than that, half the ceiling covered my room!

My mum is fine now, it was pretty bad for her though. lost her footing between the joists. Only one leg came fully through, we laugh about it now the bruising has gone!
The best option would be to look at the wording of your insurance policy.
The ceiling will probably be under buildings, and the macbook under contents (unless they say they will cover it under buildings as a consequence of buildings? No idea tbh, that's why you have to look at your policy).
My insurance policy covers laptops and portable items so long as they are within the house. There was an option to increase this to outside the house but it wasn't worth the extra money for me.
sickly sweet

The second option you are thinking of is called insurance fraud and not … The second option you are thinking of is called insurance fraud and not recommended mainly because it is illegal, but also because it's people who do this which increase the premiums for genuine people.

I really dont think he is trying to defraud
Although your system might not boot your HD could probably still be accesible and it would be possible to check previous activity and to find out when the system had last been accessed. What damage did the Macbook sustain.

Like others have mentioned, it is worth checking the wording of your policy as there may be a clause or sub clause that could give them a reason to decline your claim.
sickly sweet

The second option you are thinking of is called insurance fraud and not … The second option you are thinking of is called insurance fraud and not recommended mainly because it is illegal, but also because it's people who do this which increase the premiums for genuine people.

What an apt username thanks for the morality lesson!
rebenga

I really dont think he is trying to defraud

of course OP is! Insurance didnt pay as wasnt covered so they took out further insurance elsewhere after the accident which did cover it.

Easy to tell when last booted up as the hard drive will probably still work fine.

Expect the police around for insurance fraud if you try to claim OP (well, hopefully anyway!)

Its people like you that put up premiums for everyone else that abides by the law - nice one!
in after the righteous ones
csiman

of course OP is! Insurance didnt pay as wasnt covered so they took out … of course OP is! Insurance didnt pay as wasnt covered so they took out further insurance elsewhere after the accident which did cover it.Easy to tell when last booted up as the hard drive will probably still work fine.Expect the police around for insurance fraud if you try to claim OP (well, hopefully anyway!)Its people like you that put up premiums for everyone else that abides by the law - nice one!

the e-warrior is strong with this one.

anyway i'll respond just to show you up. The second insurance policy is for something completely different (not home contents) however when the policy came through as a bonus they have given us "3 months free home contents insurance" didnt know about this when we signed up for the insurance.

Now the reason i ask if they will be able to tell when it was last powered up up is that free insurance started at 12am on the 2nd december, the accident happened around 7pm on the 2nd december. if they can tell it was last powered up on that date they will know i was using it on the 2nd and it actually broke when insured by them as it had been covered for 19 hours by their insurance.

If they cant see when it was last used then i've a feeling it will be a waste of time putting the claim in with them.

it's ok you can go back to your moral high ground now, must be slippy up there for someone who not only makes wild accusations but is also way off the mark.

i would LOL heartily at the police coming round.

edit: the repair shop i took it too couldnt get it to boot at all, hence asking if the insurance company would be able to.
Edited by: "talldav" 27th Dec 2011
what you claiming for the mac book. insurance companies normally have a high value claim clause. meaning if you have a high value item. you need to tell them. otherwise it should be included in your contents policy.

they also should have give you a reason why its not included
talldav

the e-warrior is strong with this one.anyway i'll respond just to show … the e-warrior is strong with this one.anyway i'll respond just to show you up. The second insurance policy is for something completely different (not home contents) however when the policy came through as a bonus they have given us "3 months free home contents insurance" didnt know about this when we signed up for the insurance.Now the reason i ask if they will be able to tell when it was last powered up up is that free insurance started at 12am on the 2nd december, the accident happened around 7pm on the 2nd december. if they can tell it was last powered up on that date they will know i was using it on the 2nd and it actually broke when insured by them as it had been covered for 19 hours by their insurance.If they cant see when it was last used then i've a feeling it will be a waste of time putting the claim in with them. it's ok you can go back to your moral high ground now, must be slippy up there for someone who not only makes wild accusations but is also way off the mark. i would LOL heartily at the police coming round. edit: the repair shop i took it too couldnt get it to boot at all, hence asking if the insurance company would be able to.

Maybe if your initial situation was as comprehensive, then we wouldnt draw conclusions

I very much doubt the 'bonus' insurance covered accidental damage anyway

as mentioned many times, check your policy details. No-one here can give you proper advice without looking at that.
also, most insurance policies can reject a claim if not notified of the claim within a certain time period. 4 weeks before even contacting them is probably too long.
clutching at straws^^^^^^

i lol'd
Me too, still lolling.
^^^^^ what a couple of planks!

I see the friendly moronic ghost has returned too.
Edited by moderator: "Removed expletives." 28th Dec 2011
Planks yet you are the one throwing expletives and assumptions about!?

Lovely person.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions