Macbook Pro from Hong Kong. Different to UK?

Found 30th Aug 2011
My mate lives in Hong Kong and is coming over to the UK in a couple of weeks. I'm going to get him to bring me a 13" Macbook Pro as they are around £700 there compared to £1000 here.

But my question is, are there any major difference between one from Hong Kong, and ones that you buy here?

On the HK online store, it looks the same (slightly different code). Although it doesn't mention anything about a backlit English keyboard which it does on the UK store.

I think HK plugs are the same as UK plugs, so no problems there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Community Updates
16 Comments
UK, US or Chinese or some other keyboard?
I assume that power transformers are multi-country for Macbooks?
Thought about customs costs? A brand new sealed MBP won't look right.

Unless your friend just brings the unit and charger.
Original Poster
mattpreston11

Thought about customs costs? A brand new sealed MBP won't look … Thought about customs costs? A brand new sealed MBP won't look right.Unless your friend just brings the unit and charger.

Unlikely he'll get stopped. If the worst happens and he does, will still be cheaper paying the tax than buying it here.
Just ask any who's going on hols to get it from duty free
Duty free is a good option - another is to look at the refurb store - and if you have a friend or family member in education you can get more money off
Just use the higher education link that is floating around

You don't need to have Amy connection to a university anyone can use it unchecked and. You also get 3 years AppleCare included as standard
Original Poster
bhara

Just ask any who's going on hols to get it from duty free

I'm not asking for advice on where to buy it from, so please, no more suggestions.

All I want to know, is will the Macbook be any/significantly different bought from Hong Kong, as opposed to the UK?
Probably a US keyboard and the mains plug will be 2 pin. The voltage is the same though so just switch the plug or use an adaptor.
Original Poster
melipona

Probably a US keyboard and the mains plug will be 2 pin. The voltage is … Probably a US keyboard and the mains plug will be 2 pin. The voltage is the same though so just switch the plug or use an adaptor.

What's the difference between a US and UK keyboard?
few of the symbols are in different places just
Ian182

What's the difference between a US and UK keyboard?

Different countries use different keyboards, to support their currency symbols or special characters (umlauts etc).

Normally you need to "tell" the operating syem what country keyboard you are using, and the software then "knows" what each key means when you press it.

If they keyboard is not a UK keyboard then the characters will be in different places so to make it work properly you would need to set the operating system to the langage/country that is right for the keyboard.

So if it was a US keyboard you would need to set the operating system to US (and leave it as US), and this could have implications for other things like spell checkers etc.
Edited by: "guilbert53" 30th Aug 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_and_American_keyboards
should still be able to select uk spellcheck
no great shakes with the keyboard layout, its still qwerty but some of the special characters are in different places and no pound sign on US version but you can soon call it up with the ascii code or remap a key.
Also be carful where it is bought from, been in the news lately about 20 odd fake apple stores being found in Hong Kong.

That is China, please take the time to distinguish between the two.

littlepinkstarz

Also be carful where it is bought from, been in the news lately about 20 … Also be carful where it is bought from, been in the news lately about 20 odd fake apple stores being found in Hong Kong.

Original Poster
littlepinkstarz

Also be carful where it is bought from, been in the news lately about 20 … Also be carful where it is bought from, been in the news lately about 20 odd fake apple stores being found in Hong Kong.

I saw that. Thanks. But my mate will buy online from the HK Apple store.

Thanks for the help guys.
Civic EG6

That is China, please take the time to distinguish between the two.

Im aware they are two different places, however some of the news sources like this are saying both Hong Kong and China have had fakes
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions