Expired

Macbook Pro Insurance?

Found 28th Oct 2013
Just bought a Macbook Pro Retina. I paid 2.2k for it so wanted to get insurance but I can't find any insurer that will insure it apart from one site that wants £15 a month.

Does anyone know if home insurance covers this? As I've read this on the interwebs. Does it only cover theft inside or if you outside too?

Anyone know anything about this?
Community Updates
8 Comments
Home insurance depends on the policy. You will need to check the terms as to what is and is not covered, depending on the value set in the policy you may also have to advise of the item when taking the policy or have it update to include the item being insured.

Inside and outside again this is usually an extra charge and dependent entirely on who you go with, some will offer cover outside the home others wont.
Original Poster
Ok, just figured it out. What I need is contents insurance. Got quoted £11 a month for contents insured up to 60k from British Gas. Awesome. I was paying £9.99 for my American express personal belongings cover.
I have an iPhone and iPad. Recently decided to insure them. Got Barclays Tec pack insurance for £ 7 a month and then discovered they will not insure any item over 2 years old (both of mine are).

Still looking for cover. A few laptops in the house, one dead desktop...as of today. £250 excess on contents insurance with added premiums if I claim.

Appreciate any advice please
KM4353

Ok, just figured it out. What I need is contents insurance. Got quoted … Ok, just figured it out. What I need is contents insurance. Got quoted £11 a month for contents insured up to 60k from British Gas. Awesome. I was paying £9.99 for my American express personal belongings cover.

Do you want theft/loss insurance and/or accidental damage and/or extended warranty against defects?

For extended warranty buy AppleCare. If you bought with student discount, you already have the 3 year care

With house insurance be careful;
A) make sure laptops are covered inside and outside of the house
B) make sure that the value of the laptop is covered, some policies have a £800 or so max value
C) check whether you have to declare it due to the value
D) check if accidental cover is included and if laptops are covered
E) check the excess charges
F) this wont cover innate technical faults with the laptop.

If you choose household insurance, check cashback rates on tcb/quidco.

Another option:
https://www.switchedoninsurance.com
And more suggestions here: money.co.uk/gad…htm

iglimpse

I have an iPhone and iPad. Recently decided to insure them. Got … I have an iPhone and iPad. Recently decided to insure them. Got Barclays Tec pack insurance for £ 7 a month and then discovered they will not insure any item over 2 years old (both of mine are).Still looking for cover. A few laptops in the house, one dead desktop...as of today. £250 excess on contents insurance with added premiums if I claim. Appreciate any advice please

As they're over 2 years old I'd just stick with the household insurance you have.
If you lose (theft/flood etc) of all the items then pay the £250 excess.
If you lose one of the items then the savings of not having taken out extra insurance on 4+ items will help towards the cost of replacing it!

Insuring those items (phone/iPad/laptops) would be expensive on gadget insurance and with them being 2+ years old you could probably replace one of them with a years worth of premiums!

If you have had them 2 years you obviously take care of things which is another reason I'd say to 'self insure' ie put the cost of premiums into a savings account and have that there as your replacement fund if something goes wrong, and if nothing goes wrong then you have the funds to enjoy!

Original Poster
sickly sweet

Do you want theft/loss insurance and/or accidental damage and/or extended … Do you want theft/loss insurance and/or accidental damage and/or extended warranty against defects?For extended warranty buy AppleCare. If you bought with student discount, you already have the 3 year care :)With house insurance be careful;A) make sure laptops are covered inside and outside of the houseB) make sure that the value of the laptop is covered, some policies have a £800 or so max valueC) check whether you have to declare it due to the valueD) check if accidental cover is included and if laptops are coveredE) check the excess chargesF) this wont cover innate technical faults with the laptop.If you choose household insurance, check cashback rates on tcb/quidco. Another option: https://www.switchedoninsurance.comAnd more suggestions here: http://www.money.co.uk/gadget-insurance/macbook-insurance.htm

You're a wise one aren't ya. Cheers for that, great info!
sickly sweet

As they're over 2 years old I'd just stick with the household insurance … As they're over 2 years old I'd just stick with the household insurance you have. If you lose (theft/flood etc) of all the items then pay the £250 excess. If you lose one of the items then the savings of not having taken out extra insurance on 4+ items will help towards the cost of replacing it!Insuring those items (phone/iPad/laptops) would be expensive on gadget insurance and with them being 2+ years old you could probably replace one of them with a years worth of premiums!If you have had them 2 years you obviously take care of things which is another reason I'd say to 'self insure' ie put the cost of premiums into a savings account and have that there as your replacement fund if something goes wrong, and if nothing goes wrong then you have the funds to enjoy!

Many thanks. That will save me a lot of time looking
Original Poster
Just an update I took out contents insurance with British Gas with £25 cashback for £16 a month, it covers upto £65,000. It includes personal possessions of upto £2,500 for a single "article" away from home, so covers my Macbook, yay!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants