Groups

Macbook Pro questions (any one in the know)

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me the main differences between a macbook pro (2006) and how they have progressed over the years.

Is the 2006 still a good machine ? is it a good buy ?

Ive been offered one at £400 is this a decent price ? or would I be better buying some alternative?

cheers

9 Comments

Good tables on wikipedia for comparison ]http//en…pro

Specs aren't too bad for the old ones when you look at the things you couldn't upgrade yourself

£400 isn't bad. Depends which version of the MBP it is. The main differences now are the MBP09 uses DDR3 ram, the processor FSB is higher, and the graphics card is much better (providing it doesn't melt).

Original Poster

when you say which version, how do i find out ? what kinda things do I need to be looking for ? The lady im buying from said it was purchased in 2007 6 months prior to the new model that year . So im not sure which model it would be.

The main thing to check is whether it's the 15 or 17inch mbp. Also, the main differences were mainly just the processor speeds.

Go here:

mac2sell.net/

Should give you an idea of how much it's valued it. £400 looks good at first glance though. I'm using a late '07 macbook and it still flies.

Original Poster

thanks,

Ive checked on mac2sell, it says £650 for the spec i put in. but shes giving me a full spec list later so ill be able to check in more detail. she told me it was a 2.1ghz.

I think I have a 2006 MBP and it still runs beautifully.

The only reasons I would update to a newer MBP are:
    * LED Screen - Better colour reproduction and less energy use.
    * Unibody - they are solid as rocks. The shell on my MBP has survived a drop out of the car but it doesn't feel as solid as the new machines.
    * 8 hour battery life - it's 8 HOURS!! lol
    * Muti-touch trackpad - It's very intuitive and much faster as you can customise gestures to shortcuts.
    * Faster RAM - plus mine will only recognise 3GB even though I've fitted it with 4GB.
    * Built in SD Card reader - nice but a novelty.

Why I prefer my 2006 MBP:
    * Matte screen - no one want's that horrible glare from the new gloss screen and not being able to see what you're doing if there's a light source anywhere near you.
    * Removable battery - You're on a plane, run out of charge and you want to use your back up battery? You can!
    * Keyboard - A lot nicer to use than the new keyboards imo.
    * Firewire - did they get rid of it?
    * Size - the new 15" is like the size of the old 17". Bigger.
    * Performance - With Snow Leopard on board I have no need to upgrade as it's still fast enough to handle anything I want to throw at it.

If you don't buy it for £400, I will! lol
    Does she say anything is wrong with it at all?

Put your ear on the keyboard (while the computer is running) and check for high pitched electric buzzing noise. I am not talking about the faint low pitch buzz all electric devices tend to make.

First generation 15" MB Pro are prone to have their logic boards fail (buzzing noise being the early symptom), they also tend to get a lot hotter than the later models (palm rest can get too hot touch comfortably).

If it sounds ok, go for it. I do suggest 1 - 2 hour test run, before parting with your cash so.

Original Poster

she says it runs like a dream and its had a protective cover on so its in superb nick she said shes also only used it a handful of times as she was given a notebook from work which was more convenient for her use.

charvelj;6156415

she says it runs like a dream and its had a protective cover on so its in … she says it runs like a dream and its had a protective cover on so its in superb nick she said shes also only used it a handful of times as she was given a notebook from work which was more convenient for her use.

Go for it mate.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a pair of running shoes up to the value of £100 with UKRunChat99
      2. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2324
      3. Win a two day trip to Greenwich with VisitLondon22
      4. Win a VIP West End break with VisitLondon33

See more discussions