MacBook Storage

Posted 14th Apr
I’m looking at purchasing a MacBook Pro and want to use BootCamp or similar so I’m able to use Windows too. I use iCloud for photo etc storage and would only have a couple of games at a time installed. Would I have enough usable space on a 125GB SSD after Mac OS & Windows have been installed to be comfortable? If not I’m thinking maybe MacBook Air with 256GB. Thoughts?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
256gb still probably wouldn't be enough.

For example call of duty warzones is 85GB alone
256 will be a struggle. Windows takes 25 osx another 20. Add space for moving data updates etc (so you need at least 60 for each.
That's just bare system. Add couple of games and that 250gb is gone
I have the 2019 (16inch) MBP 512GB and I barely use any storage on it, most of my files are for work (programming) and don't take up much space. I have bootcamp for games but I only have maybe 3 games installed. This will all depend on what games you want to play, but you can get external SSD's to put your games on so keep that in mind.

I have a (I think 125gb) 2013 mbp too and I have never filled that since I got it in 2013 but I also have never installed games on that. My 2017 iMac is 1TB but less than 200GB used with bootcamp & few games installed.

If you want the pro and it's a justifiable purchase I'd say go for it and get an external ssd, or even a regular hard drive - a recent LTT video showed they don't really make much difference for games (providing its a good hdd to begin with)
If you're a student check out theedustore, I got my last mbp from there on black friday for a good discount
Idk how people use such little storage, I've used 1TB in 6 weeks
Edited by: "Jordan_Taylor" 14th Apr
murtgurge14/04/2020 21:45

If you're a student check out theedustore, I got my last mbp from there on …If you're a student check out theedustore, I got my last mbp from there on black friday for a good discount

Or go to storm front and get a 3 year warranty for free as well.
Do you want a macbook pro just because of the chassis i take it?
Whichever model of Macbook you get you should look at adding an external HDD/SSD if you want to do any gaming given the size of updates these days.
Jordan_Taylor14/04/2020 21:51

Or go to storm front and get a 3 year warranty for free as well.

hmm like for like on the base model of the 16inch

theedustore 1945£ with 4 year warranty
stormfront £2399 with 3 year warranty

macbook air base model is also £100 cheaper with longer warranty on theedustore
murtgurge14/04/2020 21:58

hmm like for like on the base model of the 16inchtheedustore 1945£ with 4 …hmm like for like on the base model of the 16inchtheedustore 1945£ with 4 year warrantystormfront £2399 with 3 year warrantymacbook air base model is also £100 cheaper with longer warranty on theedustore

Ah okay fair enough fella, tbf when i went mac it was the biggest mistake I've made.

So glad to have performance again but each to there own!
Thanks for all feedback. Tbh gaming isn’t really the priority here. My main concern is how much usable space i have after dual-booting Mac OS & Windows. If I’ve got c.80GB left on the 125GB pro then that’ll likely be no use to me, I don’t want to have to be clearing out every few months to make space.

Not a student so no student discount for me.

Mac Pro for nice chassis and better specs than Air. I’ll admit I don’t know a whole lot about MacBooks so could be snake oil.
Why bother with Dual booting and bootcamp....? Far more convinient to have a Virtual Windows PC running via Paralells or VMWare Fusion, no need to reboot to switch and you can even use the Apps from the Virtual PC running in the background directly in MacOS.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions