mackrel fishing advice

Found 1st Jul
Hello people

I was wondering if anybody could recommend a fishing rod for mackrel fishing on shore or tell me what size of rod to buy etc ? say like £20 ?
Community Updates
5 Comments
Anything with a good whip on it, the longer the better as you have to get out since distance. The only problem you may face is if 'Jaws' or one of his cousins decides to take a bite of anything you catch.
You need a beachcaster rod of 12ft in length or maybe 15ft, you can get them for around £20 with a reel from the likes of Aldi when they have them on special buys.
hotukdeals.com/dea…340

34200299-exJ1M.jpg
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 1st Jul
what part of the country are you in?
the sea fishing forums are awash with people asking where the Mackerel are,
none being caught from the shore and even the boats are struggling to find any

as far as rods go id use a 13ft Carp rod, i do quite a bit of coarse/sea fishing and have lots of rods (carp/bass/beachcasters/boat)
and a Carp rod is ideal due to it being light, try casting a cheap beachcaster 20-30 times in a row and your arm will feel like it wants to drop off
even my 12' 8" Bass rod is too heavy to be constantly casting

get a 12' - 13' Carp rod with a fixed spool reel of 5500 size,
dont go too heavy or too light with the line, around 12lb should be fine and use 2oz - 3oz leads, buy a selection of feathers, maybe a couple of spinners too, feathering is the best way though imo
Edited by: "cainer1" 3rd Jul
A lot is going to depend on the location and how your fishing.
If you are spinning you want something relatively light, if you float or feathering then something longer for a longer cast.

Personally I'd ask locals where your planning on fishing and see what year they are using. No point getting a 15ft beach caster of the best spot is 20ft off shore or just off the pier/seawall and vice versa a 9ft spinning rod isn't going to be good for long heavy casts.
Edited by: "joedastudd" 1st Jul
cainer118 h, 36 m ago

what part of the country are you in?the sea fishing forums are awash with …what part of the country are you in?the sea fishing forums are awash with people asking where the Mackerel are, none being caught from the shore and even the boats are struggling to find anyas far as rods go id use a 13ft Carp rod, i do quite a bit of coarse/sea fishing and have lots of rods (carp/bass/beachcasters/boat)and a Carp rod is ideal due to it being light, try casting a cheap beachcaster 20-30 times in a row and your arm will feel like it wants to drop off even my 12' 8" Bass rod is too heavy to be constantly castingget a 12' - 13' Carp rod with a fixed spool reel of 5500 size, dont go too heavy or too light with the line, around 12lb should be fine and use 2oz - 3oz leads, and a selection of feathers, maybe a couple of spinners too, feathering is the best way though imo

I live in Aberdeen, plenty of mackrel here... my uncle catches 4/5 at one cast. What we usually used to do many years ago is fish off the rocks and that is what we plan to do
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants