Mains change/ mains isolation

Posted 29th Mar
Contacted an electrician regarding installation of new consumer unit as our is reallly really old. He had a look (sent pic) and said he will not touch it until there is an isolation switch installed and that i will need a mains change. So my question is who should i contact and how much should i expect to pay for this.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
I'm no electrician, but I believe that the isolation switch would be installed by them, however they will require a temporary isolation of the supply (they can't do it live)

So you need to speak to your DNO Distribution Network Operator.

energynetworks.org/info/faqs/electricity-distribution-map.html

You may find they with things as they are they might not currently do it, but maybe give them a call and see.

Edit just to add, Surley the electrician should be telling you how to do this all? If they aren't maybe not to best to go with?
Edited by: "Bob24601" 29th Mar
Next to your electricity meter don't you already have a big switch and fuse already to isolate the power?
Every house I've lived in had them.
PaulandPam29/03/2020 08:58

Next to your electricity meter don't you already have a big switch and …Next to your electricity meter don't you already have a big switch and fuse already to isolate the power?Every house I've lived in had them.

There is a switch with the fuses but apparently there should be another switch that isolates power between the meter and the consumer unit.
Yes that's the one I was talking about, you should also have a great big fuse next to the meter with a security anti tamper seal on it.
If you haven't I'd contact your electricity provider and ask them about it.
PaulandPam29/03/2020 09:09

Yes that's the one I was talking about, you should also have a great big …Yes that's the one I was talking about, you should also have a great big fuse next to the meter with a security anti tamper seal on it.If you haven't I'd contact your electricity provider and ask them about it.

Yeah i don’t have that at all. Just the way it was when we got the house. Will contact them asap i guess and see what they say.
Edited by: "xPabloz" 29th Mar
Yes, the live from the supply cable should feed into a large fuse, typically 80 amp in a box of some sort with an anti-tamper seal on: flameport.com/ele…cs4

40217629-FvNG6.jpg

When I installed a new consumer unit, in about 2000, before part P, getting the tails from it hooked up to the meter was actually free, as was dropping the meter a couple of feet, but I doubt that will be the same now. The chap replaced the meter with a modern one at the same time.
Edited by: "melted" 29th Mar
As Bob said, DNO are responsible for fitting an isolator.

You can do it by pulling the main fuse and some electricians will do this (some DNO's seem to allow electricians to do this and fit a new temporary tamper seal) but if you don't know what you're doing its a really bad idea to touch it.

At the same time it would be worth checking the fuse rating (some older houses might only have a 60A or 80A) and getting it uprated to 100A if needed (together with tails replacing).
I would have expected your electrician to be a bit more helpful to be honest, makes me wonder if he really wants the job.
He must have come across this situation before so if he works your area he should know who the DNO to contact is and approx what they're likely to charge.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions