Groups
    EXPIRED

Major Problem with Changing Tariffs On T-Mobile

Banned
    Hi, i am on a £30 a month tariff and have 6 months left on my contract. T-mobile allow you to chage your tariff at any time, providing that its higher.

I recently phones them, and asked if i could change to a £75 a month tariff, and as you would expect, they said 'ofcourse, why not'. But when i asked them, if i can, if i later changed my mind, return back to my former £30 tariff, since it seems like they dont offer it anymore. This is where i started to get conflicting answers. Some operators have said 'yes u can, anytime', some have said 'no it dont exist anymore unless u are on it' and some have said that 'you can upgrade but u cannot downgrade, unless u are within ur last contract month'.

I called back a few times to ask the same question and the general concensus regarding the matter is the latter view mentioned above, that u can upgrade but not downgrade.

I am slightly annoyed about this, but do not agree. Let me explain. I can understand if they had the 'no downgrade' policy on new contracts, since it would prevent people from getting decent phones for next to nothing on expensive tariffs and then downgrading a month later, so it would be in the interest of t mobile not getting exploited etc, but i dont understand why this would exist for consumers, who signed up for a contract of X amount a month, who then want to move to a more expensive tariff, but are then penalised by not having the option to downgrade back to their former tariff, on which they originally bought the contract. Surely by reverting back, you are not scamming t mobile or getting away with any extra incentives or infringments, since when migrate to a higher tariff, as an existing customer you do not get any extra benefits, then if you were a new customer, if this makes sense.

Anyways, has anyone got any light on this? Have you had a similar problem with t mobile or any other operator? I wanted to change my tariff to one thats 2.5x what i currently pay, but because they are being greedy bastards and taking unfair advantage, when they are the ones that benefit, i have decided not to change my tariffs, although, if i did, i dont think i would of changed back....but its just the option of not being able to, with no good reason.

When i questioned this btw, they told me that its in their terms and conditions. I asked them to show me where. They couldnt find their own t&c's on their own website and started quoting me. She then said she would send the t&c's to me. But it said something along the lines 'that they will not allow you to change the tariff from the one you entered into at the beginning of the contract', and she then said that as a goodwill gesture they let people. I pointed out to her that it doesnt say anything about not being able to downgrade once you upgrade and if they allow people to go higher on goodwill, then it should be able to be reversed. Anyone agree? Also, wouldnt downgrading be if you went lower then what u actually started out with?

Its bad enough that they get you on a 18 month contract (average), reserve the right to amend their t&c's, but then also have bull shit rules like the above mentioned.

Any thoughts? Anyone know if what ive been told is right? and if not, how do i ensure that i can get the official view in writing etc?

Thanks for reading my rant. And sorry lol.

9 Comments

Personally, I would not risk getting tied up in the £75 a month contract then not being able to go back to the £30 one. Thats a lot of money! You are better off getting a separate sim only deal which will give u so many more minutss and probably what the £75 a month gives you. I wouldnt risk it because they can easily say no if its something thats in theyre terms.

Contact them and make them give you some sort of proof that they have said it to you so you have some evidence if you do actually go ahead with it.

It is a bit crappy i agree, but that said what does a £75 a month contract give you that you could get cheaper elsewhere? It seems a daft amount of money...

jah128;5006268

It is a bit crappy i agree, but that said what does a £75 a month … It is a bit crappy i agree, but that said what does a £75 a month contract give you that you could get cheaper elsewhere? It seems a daft amount of money...

I agree, just look at all the simplicity deals you can get for around £30 which give you thousands of minutes and text messages. I say just take out another contract.

Original Poster Banned

jah128;5006268

It is a bit crappy i agree, but that said what does a £75 a month … It is a bit crappy i agree, but that said what does a £75 a month contract give you that you could get cheaper elsewhere? It seems a daft amount of money...

Thanks for the replies guys. Its their new flext tariffs.

Their flext tariffs are mix and match and now include international calling, texing, unlimited internet, calls to 08 numbers and voicemails, not to mention uk calls, texts and picture messaging. My £30 tariff gives me 3000 any network calls offpeak a month, the £75 will give me roughtly the same amount of minutes at anytime, with the option in divulging in using the other inclusive features.

But for £45 a month extra (or £270 over the remaining 6 month contract....)!!!

Original Poster Banned

paz2k6;5006250

Personally, I would not risk getting tied up in the £75 a month contract … Personally, I would not risk getting tied up in the £75 a month contract then not being able to go back to the £30 one. Thats a lot of money! You are better off getting a separate sim only deal which will give u so many more minutss and probably what the £75 a month gives you. I wouldnt risk it because they can easily say no if its something thats in theyre terms.Contact them and make them give you some sort of proof that they have said it to you so you have some evidence if you do actually go ahead with it.

You are right, i am gping to email their custoer relations and ask them to clarify. If they indeed indicate that i can change without being penalised, then i assume if they later on deny me this, then i can use it in court (should it come to that)

Or do you think i should record one of the conversations with their contradicting staff, the chances are that the second or third operator will tell me what i want to hear. Lol its a cra p thing to say, but they all give different answers to the same question, and u want to believe the one that has said something that favours what you want, but then theres the voice of reason that says, what if the other pinochio was telling the truth, but its so unfair, as many would only make the one call, hear what they are told, make a decision, and when they later call up to change etc, they will be told that they cant do it and when they say that they were told otherwise last time, they will simply say "we apologise, you were misinformed, but theres nothing we can do". Have experienced this sadly myself :x

Did you know, that you can record ur conversations without telling them that u are? And use it as evidence if you want? hmm....

Adnan786;5006290

Did you know, that you can record ur conversations without telling them … Did you know, that you can record ur conversations without telling them that u are? And use it as evidence if you want? hmm....

really? i didnt know that at all. I guess you should have a go then. But i still think its a huge risk if you cant get out of it when you need to. Hmm..tough decision.

Take a look at this O2 deal. Maybe your better off with 2 contracts?

Mins

Texts

Inclusive bolt on

Unlimited web.

Cost per month
    £29.38

Sorry didnt read the whole long post -

But my partner is with tmobile and she was on flext 25 - She upgraded her mobile online and got a n96 for free ( she was quoted £220 over the phone). When she got the bill it had changed her tarriff to a £40 without her knowing to some error on the system... So she called them and banged at them, after speaking to 4 different people in different departments - they offered her the same tarrif that doesnt exist anymore + free internet and 10% off and £50 for the phone.

She was quite happy with it as she now gets free internet and 10% discount. So YES 100% you can downgrade your tarrif but in stages... not from 75 to 30! you will have to downgrade each month..

Hope it helps... Speaking to manager and explaining the situation normally works!

Best of luck

As a few have said, get a 2nd contract elsewhere, for that extra £45 you can prob get the same minutes etc you require, plus a brand new phone and a free PS3/Wii/Xbox 360/Tv etc.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4051752
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764627
      3. Surprise the Miles136 summer burning caribou comp912
      4. What is there free to do in your town?2138

See more discussions