Make a printer wireless

Posted 10th Apr
I have an old laser printer. How would I make it wireless - is there a dongle or something that would do the job?

I would primarily be sending docs from my android phone.

Also, just to add, the printer has a usb port

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
Depends what you want to spend, to achieve what you want might cost you £30 or more.

You need a wireless printer server box or a raspberry pi with the right software config.

Do you want to go down this route for the sake of an old laser jet.

Do you have any powerline ethernet plugs?

Does the printer only have a USB port?
Edited by: "mogsog" 10th Apr
You could just cut of the cables making it wireless, but I guess that won't help you printing haha

Is it worth seeing if there is deal on a wireless printer, I got mine a year ago with the instant Ink, making it quite cheap to replace my 10 year old printer.
As above. We're bought an hp wireless printer from Currys for £24 a few months ago. Absolutely brilliant. I pay around £3 or £4 a month for the instant ink. Can't fault the service or quality.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 10th Apr
If it's USB and your router has a USB port you should check your router manual to see if it can serve a printer.
Thanks. Buying a hp with an instant ink plan seems like an easier option. Unless there is a simple dongle under £20 ish
Gorogoro10/04/2020 11:34

Thanks. Buying a hp with an instant ink plan seems like an easier option. …Thanks. Buying a hp with an instant ink plan seems like an easier option. Unless there is a simple dongle under £20 ish

you can't make a printer wireless by sticking a dongle into it! you have to buy a wireless printer and set it up to connect to your wifi. i got a HP laserjet pro m12w but it is a pig to connect to wifi without a disk drive to read the disk that came with the machine and it often loses its connection to the network and takes ages to try and get it to connect again!

but it was going cheap (now i know why (annoyed)) so i can't complain too much i suppose.
Wired printers from the era when wi-fi support was becoming popular often had the ability to use a (specific) wi-fi dongle.

Other than that you'd need print server functionality. A check around suggest standalone ones these days seem to start at about £35.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 10th Apr
mutley110/04/2020 11:48

you can't make a printer wireless by sticking a dongle into it! you have …you can't make a printer wireless by sticking a dongle into it! you have to buy a wireless printer and set it up to connect to your wifi. i got a HP laserjet pro m12w but it is a pig to connect to wifi without a disk drive to read the disk that came with the machine and it often loses its connection to the network and takes ages to try and get it to connect again!but it was going cheap (now i know why (annoyed)) so i can't complain too much i suppose.

As mentioned above, you can potentially make the printer wireless by installing a wireless print server box.

Wrt your printer, you can download the software on your disc from the HP website.
HappyShopper10/04/2020 12:07

As mentioned above, you can potentially make the printer wireless by …As mentioned above, you can potentially make the printer wireless by installing a wireless print server box.Wrt your printer, you can download the software on your disc from the HP website.

i no longer have a disk drive and so i get the download from the HP site, but that doesn't work properly when you try to set up wifi, the physical disk works a lot better when you start the initial set up. i had to use the website yesterday when i reset my laptop to factory setting and it took me about an hour to get it to work. faffing around as it kept saying it couldn't find the network.

i don't know if it is just a cheap printer or whether all HP wireless printers are shoddy as my printer loses connection often and it takes ages to reconnect.
A raspberry pi zero w is cheap, has wifi plus usb port and should be up to the job.

rux.vc/201…er/ (this guide is for the old non wifi pi zero)

Another option would be to use a secondhand router flashed with openwrt and install a print server openwrt.org/doc…ver
Edited by: "melted" 10th Apr

Thanks. Buying a hp with an instant ink plan seems like an easier option. …Thanks. Buying a hp with an instant ink plan seems like an easier option. Unless there is a simple dongle under £20 ish

Not entirely wireless but IMHO a far better solution to your problem.
First of all your problems is that you want to print from your android phone to your old lazerjet.
Your problem is NOT that it is not wireless but I understand how you see it that way.
What you need is a simple OTG cable; this connects to your phone with a female USB port at the other end where you then insert a male end USB cable and the other end into the printer.
You should then be able to print.

An alternative solution is to transfer whatever is on the phone to a device which can print physically to lazerjet. There are many different ways to do this including using the OTG cable. You could even copy your files to cloud storage such as Google drive, etc

The best solutions are often the cheapest and simplest.
mutley110/04/2020 11:48

you can't make a printer wireless by sticking a dongle into it! you have …you can't make a printer wireless by sticking a dongle into it! you have to buy a wireless printer and set it up to connect to your wifi. i got a HP laserjet pro m12w but it is a pig to connect to wifi without a disk drive to read the disk that came with the machine and it often loses its connection to the network and takes ages to try and get it to connect again!but it was going cheap (now i know why (annoyed)) so i can't complain too much i suppose.

No you don't, you could just use a raspberry pi Zero for like £8 (or £15 if you need a micro sd and psu).
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 10th Apr

Does the "old laser printer" have an ethernet port? If so, a wifi bridge can be sorted for under £6, possibly plus sub-£1 cable(s) if not kicking around, likely powered from a USB A socket.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions