Posted 10th Aug 2020
Hi
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    HappyShopper10/08/2020 21:00

^ This is a very popular method and one I will be using at some point in …^ This is a very popular method and one I will be using at some point in the future.Lots of videos on YouTube for inspiration- search for "office desk setup".

41632443-thQ8O.jpg
    This is my office setup. Originally wanted the sort of blue version of the drawers but couldn't get stock at the time so went with white. Pretty happy with it, lots of space. Have a printer on the desk now and a few other things. Got 2 legs to help support the weight and limit bowing of the top. All in it was around £250.
    Rusty8210/08/2020 21:09

[Image] This is my office setup. Originally wanted the sort of blue …[Image] This is my office setup. Originally wanted the sort of blue version of the drawers but couldn't get stock at the time so went with white. Pretty happy with it, lots of space. Have a printer on the desk now and a few other things. Got 2 legs to help support the weight and limit bowing of the top. All in it was around £250.

Nice.

This guys setup is also decent:
    Local builders merchant will cut a piece of ply to your size 12 or 18mm. then stain it.
    Or ikea worktop and cut and stain it.

Have a think about how you are going to finish the edges if using chipboard or ply (melamine is usually on chipboard) because unless you are careful cutting will leave a messy edge.

I made one for my wife by picking up a cheap office desk and cutting it down. used a tracksaw for the wooden bits angle grinder for the metal frame. rivnuts to set adjustable feet. (edited)
    I was in the same boat as I wanted a really long desk so I got a worktop from IKEA along with drawers for either side and made it that way. Turned out well, perfect for what I was looking for and much cheaper than buying a desk as a whole unit, not that I could find anything that size.
    Rusty8210/08/2020 20:42

I was in the same boat as I wanted a really long desk so I got a worktop …I was in the same boat as I wanted a really long desk so I got a worktop from IKEA along with drawers for either side and made it that way. Turned out well, perfect for what I was looking for and much cheaper than buying a desk as a whole unit, not that I could find anything that size.

^ This is a very popular method and one I will be using at some point in the future.

Lots of videos on YouTube for inspiration- search for "office desk setup".

[Image] This is my office setup. Originally wanted the sort of blue …[Image] This is my office setup. Originally wanted the sort of blue version of the drawers but couldn't get stock at the time so went with white. Pretty happy with it, lots of space. Have a printer on the desk now and a few other things. Got 2 legs to help support the weight and limit bowing of the top. All in it was around £250.

Love it
    Brydo66611/08/2020 13:00

Looks great Rusty! I'm moving house soon and plan to do the same setup in …Looks great Rusty! I'm moving house soon and plan to do the same setup in my new home office. Couple of questions;1. Are the legs in the middle mandatory? I don't think my setup will be as wide so might get away with it.2. Did you secure the worktop to the drawer units somehow or is it floating?

Thanks.

I went with the legs because it's is 2.5m long and felt it would definitely sag especially with 4 x 28" monitors mounted closer to the middle. If you go shorter maybe you wouldn't need a leg.

It is not secured no. It is quite heavy. Its sat on soft rubber pads. I may put a couple of L shaped brackets on the back and underside one day but it doesn't move anywhere really.
    HappyShopper10/08/2020 22:35

Nice. This guys setup is also decent: [Video]

Yeah it was those drawers I was looking for but couldn't get. Looks good that.

Looks great Rusty! I'm moving house soon and plan to do the same setup in my new home office. Couple of questions;

1. Are the legs in the middle mandatory? I don't think my setup will be as wide so might get away with it.
    2. Did you secure the worktop to the drawer units somehow or is it floating?
    41647692-ACVKp.jpg
's avatar