Making a projection screen from hardboard or MDF or somethink?

Found 19th Nov 2011
We have the projector in the bedroom for watching errrr films, but the problem is that the wall space isn't very big and the projected image doesn't fit too well, plus from the bed you can't see the taskbar in Windows. Anywayz, I had the idea of making a screen to project onto using hardboard or mdf or somethink like that, from B&Q ideally as it's the closest diy place. I was going to try the board that is already painted white, but they're a bit too small. The biggest I can see is only 2 foot tall which isn't quite enough, I want something more like 4 foot I guess.

So, links in the next post. Tell me what you think, I want to be able to paint the sheet white, do I just roll a couple of coats of emulsion?

Thanks!
Community Updates
42 Comments
seems very tacky to me but if you must use hardboard why not buy white hardboard?

edit read op white is to small you can get full 8x4 sheets but maybe not from your nearest
Edited by: "churchill" 19th Nov 2011
Buy a projector screen. That will roll up when you're not watching it. The board you propose will be monstrous and you'll have no where to put it out of sight when not in use.
mutley1

Buy a projector screen. That will roll up when you're not watching it. … Buy a projector screen. That will roll up when you're not watching it. The board you propose will be monstrous and you'll have no where to put it out of sight when not in use.

It'll be hinged so fold up onto the ceiling.
whatsThePoint

just buy a screen or stick a white sheet on the wallebay 260891076288

Thanks, I'll take a look. I thought all these screens were in the hundreds, maybe I was wrong?
Benjimoron

It'll be hinged so fold up onto the ceiling.

This sounds even worse. It will spoil the look of the ceiling and it will need a lot of support else it'll come crashing down and knock you all out for six!

Why don't you just buy a projector screen?
I used a Big white ENJE rollerblind from ikea. not gonna be as good as the real thing but hell of a lot cheaper at about £18
whatsThePoint

just buy a screen or stick a white sheet on the wallebay 260891076288

NICE

THankyou!

How would you fix this in place and make it easy to roll away/store/get out again for next errr film?
You spelled sumfink wrong.
greatest666

Oh mb.
greatest666

not if he's a cockney, it ain't.
Normally wood in the bedroom is preferred but on this occasion seems not.
dontasciime

Normally wood in the bedroom is preferred but on this occasion seems not.

mdf and hardboard is hardly wood.
I think he was referring to my man wood? As in golf clubs?
Anywayz, back to the topic. Looks like a good buy. What's the easiest way to fix it up and be able to roll it away nicely? I assume you just get a sheet, no unit at the top to roll it in?
whatsThePoint

either fix it at the top and just rolll up manually or have it on a … either fix it at the top and just rolll up manually or have it on a couple of hooks and roll up and put in the corner somewhere when not in useor build a wooden casing you can roll it up into with a winder/motor

Ah yeah, fix it at top, then roll up and have maybe elastic bands or string to pop over the ends to stop it rolling down? Or maybe some little hooks on the back at the top to then clip on once rolled up?
Edited by: "Benjimoron" 19th Nov 2011
I'm finking 90" screen, will be sitting/laying about 8' away. I think my projector will do somethink that size.
What about a whiteboard?
Benjimoron

Ah yeah, fix it at top, then roll up and have maybe elastic bands or … Ah yeah, fix it at top, then roll up and have maybe elastic bands or string to pop over the ends to stop it rolling down? Or maybe some little hooks on the back at the top to then clip on once rolled up?

Do you want whatsthepoint to come round and put it up for you?
skellysgirl

What about a whiteboard?

Nah, the dudes above have come up with a much better idea. I thought these screens were super expensive for some reason. Will be cheaper, easier and nicer to do properly after all!!

Projector Central have my PJ at 52" at that distance on full zoom. Thought it was bigger than that.
churchill

Do you want whatsthepoint to come round and put it up for you?

Is he a nice boy?
argos.co.uk/sta…htm

6ft roller blackout blind argos. That's what I use, does the job just fine. Sometimes on offer, so if no hurry, just check evry week, should get reduced...
Ikea blind?
whatsThePoint

might work out cheaper to do it yourself once you take the cost of my … might work out cheaper to do it yourself once you take the cost of my flights into account

You fixing it up with darts flights? Ok, that doesn't even make sense!
rehydrated

[url=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.argos.co.uk%252Fstatic%252FProduct%252FpartNumber%252F1204609%252FTrail%252Fsearchtext%25253EBLIND.htm]http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1204609/Trail/searchtext%3EBLIND.htm[/url]6ft roller blackout blind argos. That's what I use, does the job just fine. Sometimes on offer, so if no hurry, just check evry week, should get reduced...

Hmmm.... This looks interesting, what do people think? I think the 5ft one is probably what I need which would work out cheaper than the proper screen, plus it has the fittings and roll up thingy too. I might give it a go and see what it's like.
black out blinds work fine 5ft will be too big though surley?

if your going to get a 52" diagonal?
Superman999

black out blinds work fine 5ft will be too big though surley?if your … black out blinds work fine 5ft will be too big though surley?if your going to get a 52" diagonal?

I think I've got it up to about 60" if I put the PJ back as far as possible and do full zoom. 4ft would be too small I think?
What pj you got and what's the distance from screen
Superman999

What pj you got and what's the distance from screen

Acer 7763P!!! Proper old school!!! 10' from the screen. Should give 65".

Should be 4 inch gap each side with the 5 footer I think?
4:3 or 16:9?
Its up to you but you can get 60" perfectly on a 4ft blind
Superman999

Its up to you but you can get 60" perfectly on a 4ft blind

Yeah, but I might get up to 65". The bigger the better right???

4:3 I guess as it's 800x600 res.
Yeah but me personally would rather have a full screen than 2-3" of white around the screen

However if you can cut the 5ft screen you could make it perfect size?

That projetor you got has a bad throw on it, my acer from 10ft would through a 85" screen
Edited by: "Superman999" 19th Nov 2011
Superman999

Yeah but me personally would rather have a full screen than 2-3" of white … Yeah but me personally would rather have a full screen than 2-3" of white around the screen

Good point I suppose, I could them adjust the zoom to get it exact. Would just have some at top/bottom. People usually put black tape around the edges don't they to finish it off?
Superman999

Yeah but me personally would rather have a full screen than 2-3" of white … Yeah but me personally would rather have a full screen than 2-3" of white around the screenHowever if you can cut the 5ft screen you could make it perfect size?That projetor you got has a bad throw on it, my acer from 10ft would through a 85" screen

4 foot probably a good idea. I don't need anymore than 60" I guess seeing as we'll be about 7-8' away from it!

I know it's not the best PJ, but it's about 9 years old. I guess the lamp will die at some point?!?
How smooth are these things anyway? I guess it's not as good as a proper screen, can you iron it to make it better or is that a no-no?

p.s. Thanks for everyone's help, you're all supermans!
i've used a blind before and its fine,

best is a motorised tab tensioned screen
Superman999

i've used a blind before and its fine,best is a motorised tab tensioned … i've used a blind before and its fine,best is a motorised tab tensioned screen

More than £12.99 I assume??
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants